416WSM on Siamese Mauser & 416/348Ackley Improved on Martini

I used 1020 mild steel for the heads with two pin holes to tighten them, and ground a screwdriver bit to suit. The cross shaft is a bit of 7 mm key way stock. I have used 1095 which could be hardened but it was not worth the effort. If you shear off or strip out the threads you are doing it up too tight, they should be firm. The wood will move so you don’t need it too rigid. I rust blued the heads
Gumpy

I always resize the images to be around 1Mb and have not had any issues uploading them.

Talking stock finishes, I have been given a recipe of Boiled Linseed oil (BLO) and alkanet with Japan Goldsize. But at the moment I cannot source any Japan Goldsize (which is a fast drying varnish).
Instead I have found this product that reads to be similar - does anyone have experience of this product?
Austioneers Promise.JPG

I use Linspeed finish. Seem to recall someone posting they could get it in Australia. It has a red dye in the oil I believe. Apply with finger, rubbing it into grain. Let dry about 35 minutes then rub it off with paper towel. Takes several coats to fill the grain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ibet68m4com

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]