416WSM on Siamese Mauser & 416/348Ackley Improved on Martini

What style open sights?? I need a new rear one for my 92’ baby saddle ring carbine
Gumpy
@Grumpy gumpy
I have a set of rear leaf peepsight that go into the original rear sight and a oearson
1000003993.png
1000003992.png
no drill scope mount for the 92
If you are interested
Bib

The 400 fuller is by Bill Fuller who gunsmithed in Alaska and had something to do with the 450 Alaskan. The 400 Fuller is a 40 cal with a little body taper put back in from the AI design. It feeds better in Model 71.

The 400 Fuller would probably work better in the standard Siamese Mauser magazine.
416WSM bottoms out on the shoulder and the rim is able to float (if that makes sense). The smaller shoulder of the Fuller case along with the 348 rim would most likely operate better in the standard SM magazine.
Unfortunately I don't have enough fire formed 416/348AI shells to see if they feed out of the standard rails. I am in the que to have my Martini stock rough machined.
Maybe just a std 416/348 and normal tapered body? I do like 40 cal.

I went with the round knob, it felt like a more positive engagement on the uplift - if that make sense.
Still needs some more blending and polishing around the weld. I did use a 1/2" copper rod as a heat sink as suggested.
View attachment 633985
View attachment 633986
View attachment 633987
View attachment 633988

I also thinned down the forend. If I ran a straight edge along the magazine surface it touched the forend tip. Meaning the forend was not running parallel with the magazine surface. It is now a I think looks better.
View attachment 633989
View attachment 633990
The final activity for the day was to soft solder the magazine shim that had helped to ensure the left hand cartridge fed correctly.
View attachment 633991
View attachment 633992
View attachment 633993
Once complete the feeding of cartridges appears to be robust. The final proof will be live firing.
The cross bolt are due to be delivered next week, and then once I complete the epoxy bedding it will be ready for live firing trials.
@BlueFlyer
I looked at my load from a disc and found I have load data for the 416-300WSM if that is any use to you I can send you a pm. Just let me know the powder and projectiles as well as the COAL you use and I will send you the info.
BOB

I cannot find any info on the 400 Fuller, is that based on the 45/70 case?
I used the same reamer to chamber the 416/348AI and the 416WSM, it just means the 416WSM has a slightly sharper shoulder than standard WSMs.
There will be more work to get the 416/348AI to function in a Siamese Mauser than if you go with a WSM based cartridge.
My 416wsm had all the same angles and dimensions of 300wsm. So U have an AI wsm 40deg shoulder?

Maybe just a std 416/348 and normal tapered body? I do like 40 cal.
I have plenty of nonfireformed 416/348W brass, so I can see how that feeds. That is a job for next weekend. In the Barossa Valley doing it tough for a couple of days.
I looked at my load from a disc and found I have load data for the 416-300WSM
Hi Bob, that would be fantastic.
Powders that I think will suit are AR2206, AR2208 & AR2209
Projectiles I have are 350g Speer hotcakes, and 400g
I think WSM’s were 30 or 35deg shoulders
WSMs have a 35deg shoulder, but other than shoulder angle the rest is the same. Shoulder to neck will be the same, but where the neck meets the body will be slightly further forward. I bought a FL reamer as well and have made my own FL resizer die. If I was to use a commercial FL die I would need to maintain the shoulder to body point and leave the last bit of the neck unsized.

@Grumpy gumpy
I have a set of rear leaf peepsight that go into the original rear sight and a oearsonView attachment 636594View attachment 636595 no drill scope mount for the 92
If you are interested
Bib
Hi Bob, I’m looking for an original ladder site, I’ve lined up a Lyman no.1 peep for it( buying it back from the guy I sold it too before I got the rifle, the 15“ barrelled carbines are supposed to be rare, 700 odd made) so I’m trying to restore it.
I seem to have drifted off thread, sorry about that
Gumpy

I have plenty of nonfireformed 416/348W brass, so I can see how that feeds. That is a job for next weekend. In the Barossa Valley doing it tough for a couple of days.

Hi Bob, that would be fantastic.
Powders that I think will suit are AR2206, AR2208 & AR2209
Projectiles I have are 350g Speer hotcakes, and 400g

WSMs have a 35deg shoulder, but other than shoulder angle the rest is the same. Shoulder to neck will be the same, but where the neck meets the body will be slightly further forward. I bought a FL reamer as well and have made my own FL resizer die. If I was to use a commercial FL die I would need to maintain the shoulder to body point and leave the last bit of the neck unsized.
I found article in Handloader Magazine for the 416Taylor where they used IMR3031 (which was available to me), compared volumes and adjusted accordingly for the WSM case. Speer 350gr Hotcores w/55gr and Hornady 400gr SN w/54gr of IMR3031. No velocity data available but absolutely no pressure signs w/ my gun and not compressed at all at 2.860” total cartridge length.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1206db0147

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?