416WSM on Siamese Mauser & 416/348Ackley Improved on Martini

Well, if it feeds and extracts and ejects cartridges that are spec overall length, then no need to change the rails. Is it cycling smoothly? The 416 Rem Mag bottom metal I bought for my 404J build was also narrower in the shoulder than Paul Mauser's cosine 30 degree formula. Figured I could widen it enough but didn't need to. It works fine. In fact, it probably works better. With the shoulders squeezed a bit, the bullets are pointed more towards center of loading ramp. Your cartridge rim should be up and into the claw well before it is to shoulder area of rails.

Good work. I am surprised you are cycling rebated rim WSM this easily.
Bolt was not overheated or you would not be able to reassemble the shroud. Whoever put the bolt handle on mine was not so careful. I had to true up things when changing to new safety.

Last edited:
Okay, looking at your photos the mag box is single stack that transitions to staggered at the receiver. I agree you may need to modify the rails at shoulder otherwise it looks like bullet tip will be hitting chamber on opposite side as bolt closes. So tuning the rails, follow my instructions earlier. Put three dummy cartridges in the box and tune the contact rail. Then two in the box and tune the other rail, then with just one in magazine tune the follower only, reshaping it as needed. I used grinding wheel on Dremel tool. A little bit taken off then reassemble and check. It took me almost two days to tune the rails and ramp but I had a lot more metal to remove. Be patient.

Sorry but the site is giving me fits today. Stop and start. Getting hung up all the time.

Okay, looking at your photos the mag box is single stack that transitions to staggered at the receiver. I agree you may need to modify the rails and receiver at shoulder area otherwise it looks like bullet tip will be hitting chamber on opposite side as bolt closes. So tuning the rails, follow my instructions earlier. Put three dummy cartridges in the box and tune the contact rail. Then two in the box and tune the other rail, then with just one in magazine tune the follower only, reshaping it as needed. I used Dremel tool with grinding wheel. Took me two days to modify rails and ramp but I had a lot more metal to remove. Be patient. Remove a bit, reassemble, try cycling, start over, etc. Very slow work. Do NOT want to remove too much from rails.

Sorry but the site is giving me fits today. Stop and start. Getting hung up all the time.

Is the box stamped metal?

Sorry for double post. Site is all over the place trying to post. Something is going on.

I missed posting the photo of the tool & cutter grinder setup.
20240630_150243.jpg

I really need to buy a tig welder I've got a few bolts that need welding, one day I'll see if the old clapped out south bend can make some bolt stubs to.

This has been an intriguing thread. I have a buddy who's got a couple of those Siamese actions for donors. He is convinced 45-70 is all he can build with them. I would not have thought the bolt face issue could be overcome.

If it's an 8mm rimmed version of the Siamese Mauser then it would require changing a 16mm bolt face and extractor into a 13.6mm WSM ... if that's even possible. But apparently some Siamese Mausers were made in 30-06 and even 30 carbine (ugh!). If one of those, then it would be a manageable build to open the bolt face and extractor. But can they be reduced in diameter? And you're probably correct about feed lips. The feeding rails for a fat rimmed single stack cartridge would have to be widened for a narrower cartridge = adding metal. Would seem to be a challenge.
Yes this can now be down with Laser Welding. Can add as little 1 thou I am told.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
recsporttv

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.
Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!