416 Ruger VS 416 Rem Mag

I was told or read somewhere that Rigby designed the 416 case with the shoulder like it is so that it wouldn't require a belt for head spacing. And it gave Roy Weatherby an opportunity to add a propriatay belt.
That makes sense. And 'ol Roy also designed his cartridges with the "extreme" double radius shoulder to increase powder capacity. But they were used for decades (still are) hunting DG all over the world and mostly with the later PF design in the Mark V and Vanguard. I've never hunted any DG so I don't know? Straight wall, no taper, some taper, double radius, PF, CRF, it's mind boggling! I can't take it anymore!!!! LOL

I agree with what you're saying. However, the Rigby's shoulder is a LITTLE abrupt don't you think? I'm surprised that cartridge wasn't designed with more taper like other African hunting cartridges back in the day?
Even though the shoulder is very sharp, the case body still has quite a bit of taper.

I am bringing up this slightly older thread. I have been working up my M-70 in 416 Rem for my first cape buffalo hunt this Aug and came across this thread.

My observation is this. It's not sharp shoulders that cause sticky extraction. I personally run a lot of 30-40 degree shouldered cases, as do our employees and customers. Sharper shoulders can usually be run hotter than shallower shoulders before showing pressure. I know that is counterintuitive, but let me explain.

When a cartridge fires, several things happen. The primer slides back, the case expands, the neck expands off the bullet, and the bullet is launched. Yeah, we all know that, it's been in the Hornady manual for decades.

However, most of us don't consider that when the case expands it stretches the action. The bolt gets pushed back, then it slams back with a vengeance.

How do we know that? Decades of actions makers and rifle builders being concerned about bolt thrust. The most extreme example is probably the poorly heat treated late M-98s when the bolt lugs would actually set back into the receiver. Actions built with modern steels aren't nearly as bad, but they do stretch a little. A large, tight fitting BR action probably stretches the least, and may explain why BR guys can get away with hotter loads, and a small factory action (like a Tikka) probably stretches the most.

With that in mind, all of a sudden we see how a shallow tapered case with a shallow shoulder case will be worse for handling pressure than a sharp shouldered case. The more tapered case will wedge in more tightly than a sharp shouldered case when the bolts slams forward. The sharp shoulder provides a stop for the that last action of the bolt slamming back forward and is less likely to wedge in tightly.

So if anything, a tapered case with a shallow shoulder would be worse for pressure. But what about when someone has a rifle with a tapered case that handles pressure than one with a sharp shoulder?

This is where working in the industry in a place that builds rifles and chambering my own rifles on my own lathe at home provide insight.

The groove diameter of the particular barrel as well as chamber dimensions seem to be much bigger factors than action stretch in terms on a rifle handling pressure.

Groove diameter varies along the length of a barrel bore. It's eye opening when you start chambering barrels and are checking to see which pilot bushing to use. I have seen an easy half thousandth variation in diameter. Of course that is bore diameter on the top of the lands, but it does give an idea of the consistency of the barrel.

Generally, the tighter the bore the faster it shoots, within limits. That is counterintuitive as well, but I know a barrel maker who has done such testing. There is a catch. If the groove diameter is tight immediately in front of the throat, the rifle will show pressure sooner. We have fixed those with a bore-rider throat and sometimes with fire-lapping, though I hate fire lapping.

A perfectly dimensioned barrel would be at spec at the throat and then slightly tighter at the muzzle. That is what all custom barrel makers strive for when lapping a barrel. These variations in bore/groove dimension are a likely factor in why that probably 1-2 of 100 barrels are "fast", and 1-2 of a 100 barrels are "slow"--give or take.

The next big factor affecting pressure handling is chamber dimensions. We have seen that we generally need a chamber that .0045 to .005" larger at .200 line than new brass to avoid "clickers". While clickers can be a sign of high pressure, when they happen with mild loads, clickers are more of an indicator of a chamber/sizing die mismatch. Too tight a chamber will give clickers, and an excessively oversized chamber can have clickers as well--both with mild loads. A sizing die needs to reduce the diameter of the case at the .200 line, IIRC, around .0015 to .003--depending on the cartridge, to avoid low pressure clickers.

With a custom built rifle and a lathe operator that knows what he is doing; the chamber will be straight and min SAAMI/CIP spec or very close to it. You really don't want it any tighter.

Now with a factory rifle, chamber dimensions are all over the place. We have an employee that formerly worked for a very well-known rifle company. That company would order finish reamers at max SAAMI spec and then replace them when they wore down to min SAAMMI spec. I would suspect that all the big OEMs do that, and it explains what we have seen with chamber sizes on factory rifles. If they use a reamer too many times, the chamber will be too small and you will have all kinds of pressure issues. Too large isn't as much of a problem unless it is way oversize.

This isn't a slam on OEMs. My shop can maybe do 150-200 rifles a year right now, while the OEM can do what, thousands?

Now some here will reject everything I have posted and because their experience has been the opposite. I am okay with that. We know a lot more about WHAT works than WHY. The WHY is theory and speculation, the WHAT is actually results. Most of these theories and ideas work maybe 70-80% of the time, meaning there are always lots of exceptions.

Having not yet hunted any DG, I don't understand the seeming love affair with goosing 400 or 500 gr bullets beyond about 2200 or 2250 fps.

I am bringing up this slightly older thread. I have been working up my M-70 in 416 Rem for my first cape buffalo hunt this Aug and came across this thread.

My observation is this. It's not sharp shoulders that cause sticky extraction. I personally run a lot of 30-40 degree shouldered cases, as do our employees and customers. Sharper shoulders can usually be run hotter than shallower shoulders before showing pressure. I know that is counterintuitive, but let me explain.

When a cartridge fires, several things happen. The primer slides back, the case expands, the neck expands off the bullet, and the bullet is launched. Yeah, we all know that, it's been in the Hornady manual for decades.

However, most of us don't consider that when the case expands it stretches the action. The bolt gets pushed back, then it slams back with a vengeance.

How do we know that? Decades of actions makers and rifle builders being concerned about bolt thrust. The most extreme example is probably the poorly heat treated late M-98s when the bolt lugs would actually set back into the receiver. Actions built with modern steels aren't nearly as bad, but they do stretch a little. A large, tight fitting BR action probably stretches the least, and may explain why BR guys can get away with hotter loads, and a small factory action (like a Tikka) probably stretches the most.

With that in mind, all of a sudden we see how a shallow tapered case with a shallow shoulder case will be worse for handling pressure than a sharp shouldered case. The more tapered case will wedge in more tightly than a sharp shouldered case when the bolts slams forward. The sharp shoulder provides a stop for the that last action of the bolt slamming back forward and is less likely to wedge in tightly.

So if anything, a tapered case with a shallow shoulder would be worse for pressure. But what about when someone has a rifle with a tapered case that handles pressure than one with a sharp shoulder?

This is where working in the industry in a place that builds rifles and chambering my own rifles on my own lathe at home provide insight.

The groove diameter of the particular barrel as well as chamber dimensions seem to be much bigger factors than action stretch in terms on a rifle handling pressure.

Groove diameter varies along the length of a barrel bore. It's eye opening when you start chambering barrels and are checking to see which pilot bushing to use. I have seen an easy half thousandth variation in diameter. Of course that is bore diameter on the top of the lands, but it does give an idea of the consistency of the barrel.

Generally, the tighter the bore the faster it shoots, within limits. That is counterintuitive as well, but I know a barrel maker who has done such testing. There is a catch. If the groove diameter is tight immediately in front of the throat, the rifle will show pressure sooner. We have fixed those with a bore-rider throat and sometimes with fire-lapping, though I hate fire lapping.

A perfectly dimensioned barrel would be at spec at the throat and then slightly tighter at the muzzle. That is what all custom barrel makers strive for when lapping a barrel. These variations in bore/groove dimension are a likely factor in why that probably 1-2 of 100 barrels are "fast", and 1-2 of a 100 barrels are "slow"--give or take.

The next big factor affecting pressure handling is chamber dimensions. We have seen that we generally need a chamber that .0045 to .005" larger at .200 line than new brass to avoid "clickers". While clickers can be a sign of high pressure, when they happen with mild loads, clickers are more of an indicator of a chamber/sizing die mismatch. Too tight a chamber will give clickers, and an excessively oversized chamber can have clickers as well--both with mild loads. A sizing die needs to reduce the diameter of the case at the .200 line, IIRC, around .0015 to .003--depending on the cartridge, to avoid low pressure clickers.

With a custom built rifle and a lathe operator that knows what he is doing; the chamber will be straight and min SAAMI/CIP spec or very close to it. You really don't want it any tighter.

Now with a factory rifle, chamber dimensions are all over the place. We have an employee that formerly worked for a very well-known rifle company. That company would order finish reamers at max SAAMI spec and then replace them when they wore down to min SAAMMI spec. I would suspect that all the big OEMs do that, and it explains what we have seen with chamber sizes on factory rifles. If they use a reamer too many times, the chamber will be too small and you will have all kinds of pressure issues. Too large isn't as much of a problem unless it is way oversize.

This isn't a slam on OEMs. My shop can maybe do 150-200 rifles a year right now, while the OEM can do what, thousands?

Now some here will reject everything I have posted and because their experience has been the opposite. I am okay with that. We know a lot more about WHAT works than WHY. The WHY is theory and speculation, the WHAT is actually results. Most of these theories and ideas work maybe 70-80% of the time, meaning there are always lots of exceptions.
Would you care to comment on what factory rifles are the most consistently good vs consistently bad? In terms of barrel quality and build quality?

When you are trying to match a solid POI with a soft POI, sometimes you need more velocity with one of the other.

Besides, 400 grainers from a 10 lb 416 at 2400 fps isn't that hard to handle if you use proper shooting technique and the stock fits you.
OK, but other than regulating a double, what does 2400 get you (and are you really launching anything out of a double at 2400???) that 2200 doesn't? At DG distances, it certainly isn't a ballistic arc advantage. At 2200 fps MV, you're still around 2k fps at 100 yards, and around 3600 fpe with a 400 gr bullet. That's probably not enough for ele at 100 yards, but who shoots ele from 100 yards?

I would look as hard as you can for a .416 Rigby.

I don't think either of the 2 American chamberings will be around much longer.

I'm reading this as a heads up to buy any 416 Rigby brass that i can find.
I havent reloaded yet but just picked up a 416 Rigby and have bought 200 factory rounds so far. Availability seems to get slimmer by the week.
Help is on the way... Hoping to celebrate our Independence Day by spreading a little freedom to our neighbors to the north... stand by

My Colorado Elk hunting friend has a good point!

Weatherby has been getting it done for nearly 80 years.

I was told or read somewhere that Rigby designed the 416 case with the shoulder like it is so that it wouldn't require a belt for head spacing. And it gave Roy Weatherby an opportunity to add a propriatay belt.
Also plenty of room in the cartridge case to deal with environmental heat and cordite.

Hornady use to produce 416Rigby ammo that was affordable and same with brass. Once the market started to slow down/they had developed a good market the prices went high.

The good news is if you have 200 cases you are set for life as long as you reload. There are plenty of companies making 416 bullets.

I have always thought the 416 Rigby case was ahead of it's time with the sharper shoulder. From memory the 350Rigby Magnum had a sharpish shoulder.

Last edited:
When you are trying to match a solid POI with a soft POI, sometimes you need more velocity with one of the other.

Besides, 400 grainers from a 10 lb 416 at 2400 fps isn't that hard to handle if you use proper shooting technique and the stock fits you.

Or if trying to get the POI to match the POA with open sights without changing the sight. By this I mean the POI is way above or below what the sights can be set to. Rare but can happen.

Nought wrong with 2400fps if it is easily attainable. The odd 300 mt shot on non DG presents itself at times.

OK, but other than regulating a double, what does 2400 get you (and are you really launching anything out of a double at 2400???) that 2200 doesn't? At DG distances, it certainly isn't a ballistic arc advantage. At 2200 fps MV, you're still around 2k fps at 100 yards, and around 3600 fpe with a 400 gr bullet. That's probably not enough for ele at 100 yards, but who shoots ele from 100 yards?

I am talking out of a bolt rifle, specifically a 416 Rem. DRs are a whole 'nother thing. Some PHs still want to to load softs then solids in a bolt action, and they need to hit to roughly the same POI at say 100 yds. The specific application is cape buffalo in South Africa, where a 100 yd shot on a buffalo is a distict possibility. There is also a possibility 300 yds on plains game, which can also happen, and the velocity helps a little with that.

There seem to be certain velocities that are well known to work with certain calibers and bullet weights, and around 2400 fps with 400 grainers has been a proven combo for 100 years. Just like 2150 fps with 500 grainers from a 458 or 470.

2400 fps is not an issue with a 416 Rem and modern temp stable powders. Not sure it was even with the less temp stable powders common in use when the cartridge came out 35 years ago. My own 416 Rem is well away from pressure at 2400 fps.

Also, when it comes to well-constructed solids, added velocity aids penetration, at least to a point. Thats why a 350 CE Safari Solid at 200 FPS faster penetrates about the same as a 400 grainer. And no, I don't remember if I got that data from @michael458 or from the CE website.

If we want to talk recoil, a 10 lb 416 Rem bolt rifle shooting 400 grainers at 2400 fps is very managable. Doubles are a different story. The 450 NE DR I had took some getting used to to shoot 450s at 2300 fps, and my current 470 NE DR will take some getting used to shoot 500 grainers at 2150 fps. The 470 DR feels like it has twice the recoil of the 416, but it doesn't. It's maybe 12-15 ft lbs more. However, the steep drop at the comb on a double--so we can use iron sights, makes the recoil much more noticable due to the greater muzzle rise. At least to me..............

So if there were any huge downsides to a 416 Rem with 400 grainers at 2400 fps, then I would agree to load them slower. But there just arent' any downsides, only upsides.

Would you care to comment on what factory rifles are the most consistently good vs consistently bad? In terms of barrel quality and build quality?

In terms of accuracy, I have seen good things from Tikka's, Seekins, Browning X-Bolts, then the new FN build M-70s. I won't comment on the bad ones, there are a couple of brands we frequently need to rebarrel.

realize that almost any factory rifle is a crap shoot in terms of accuracy and quality. Some are great, some suck. That is why we build custom rifles, because we can make sure everything is right. The rifles we build, whether on the best-in-class BAT vesper or on a Tikka, will shoot 1/2 MOA better 3-shot groups at 650 yds. When we do a load development for a customer with one of our builds, that is our standard. if it doesn't meet that the barrel gets replaced. Most rifles form decent rifle builders--who know how to cut a chamber with a straight throat and do a stress free bedding job--will meet that two 3-shot group at 650 yds 1/2 MOA or better standard.

On occasion we have had factory rifles meet that standard, but we don't guarantee it like we do with custom builds.

I am seeing some of that factory barrel frustration myself with my M-70 416 Rem. It is a factory barrel and untrued action. The barrels fouls like crazy and the action has taken a lot of work to ensure smooth operation and reliable feeding. Had I chambered a new barrel and trued the action back in Jan when I could have, I wouldn't be fussing with what I am fussing with now.

Also, when it comes to well-constructed solids, added velocity aids penetration, at least to a point. Thats why a 350 CE Safari Solid at 200 FPS faster penetrates about the same as a 400 grainer. And no, I don't remember if I got that data from @michael458 or from the CE website.
This is correct, to a point. At .416 caliber some of the other factors become more important than in larger calibers, one of the primary ones is twist Rates. We found to fully stabilize the 400 CEB #13 we needed a 1:12 twist rate, and penetration was extreme at that point. Velocity alone, running the 350s at 2477 fps in 1:14 twist was equal to 400s at 2250-2300 fps and the 350 more stable during terminals. But when you ran that 400 #13 up to 2440 fps, even in 1:14 twist rate penetration went extremely deep about 20% deeper than the 350s at close to the same velocity, one instance where SD becomes a factor. Twist rates become a big factor at 2250-2300 fps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClemmieHal

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.
JG26Irish_2 wrote on 9412765's profile.
RE: Interarms Whitworth 375HH f/sale f/$850. If still available, I will buy it. I am in KY can do a face to face deal. My e-mail is:

kent.warco.llc@gmail.com or PM me here. Cell is: 606-923-3162

Your 5 hrs f/me. You travel to OH w/work. If you can be at Cincinnati, OH that 1/2 way. I can travel most days but Friday afternoons are best. Let's set up a date/time/location to meet up.
thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.
Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?