Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
South Africa (Limpopo, Eastern Cape & Kalahari), Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
Anyone has any suggestions for what powder you have used on a 416 Rigby and Barnes 400 grs TSX bullets? Looking at their website, the only powders shown are RL22 & VIT N560. I'm sure other powders are suitable for this combination. Thanks!

Anyone has any suggestions for what powder you have used on a 416 Rigby and Barnes 400 grs TSX bullets? Looking at their website, the only powders shown are RL22 & VIT N560. I'm sure other powders are suitable for this combination. Thanks!
When I ran out of cordite I switched to RL22 for 400 grain bullets in the 416 Rigby and found it to work well in that application. Norma MRP would be excellent if you were to ever find any.

The 2023 edition of the VihtaVouri reloading guide list N160, N165, and N560 for use with all 400 grain bullets including the Barnes XFB in the 416 Rigby.

Different 400 grain bullet of course but Swift shows data for H-4350, H-4831, RL22, RL25, IMR-4350, and IMR-4831 which would all be satisfactory if you already have any of those powders on hand.

Last edited:
I have used n165 and had good results. If you want some data reach out to me. Also what powders do you have available???

That's an easy one....4350. That's my go to load and I just used it last week with great results. You can also use 4831 variants.

H and IMR 4350 for me. In my rifle H gives me an edge with groups. But not enough to not use IMR if needed.

I have a bunch of published load data from Barnes on the 400 TSX, etc for 416 Rigby. Happy to share that with you if wanted. It lists 12 powders.

@Luvthunt, I looked at the IMR/Hogdon website, and they show 400 grs bullets using IMR 4350, but for Hornady bullets.

@Green Chile, yes sir, if you don't mind sharing, I'd appreciate it very much.

The powders I have are IMR 4350, H4350, and 7828 SSC.

Thank you!

@Green Chile, thank you sir, I received the load date. I appreciate you taking the time to share this info with me. Individuals like you, and those above who provided information are who make this forum so wonderful, thank you gents!

Welcome! We are here to help each other and learn together. Many have helped me along the way. I love the Rigby and hope you get some excellent memories with yours.

Welcome! We are here to help each other and learn together. Many have helped me along the way. I love the Rigby and hope you get some excellent memories with yours.

Yes sir, you are correct. I hope so too. Since this is my retirement gift, I hope to make some wonderful memories with this rifle, starting next year in the Eastern Cape. ;)

Curious to see what you end up doing with it. I just returned from a buff hunt with my 416 Rigby and 400 TSX and I'm putting the hunt report together now.

Curious to see what you end up doing with it. I just returned from a buff hunt with my 416 Rigby and 400 TSX and I'm putting the hunt report together now.

Beautiful, I can't wait to read about it. Buffalo will be in the menu, and cape kudu, and depending on how my wallet is, a few more animals. I'll be taking two rifles, a Ruger RSM in 416 Rigby for the buffalo, and a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe in 7mm Weatherby for all the other critters.

I believe I'm going to go with what I currently have on my CZ-550 375, which is Trijicon 1-6x24. I used that scope in 2022 for plains game, cow buff, and a lioness and love everything about it. So, why not mount one on the 416 (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlaAnge

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We have been very busy hunting! Lots of pictures and videos in process!

expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Total con artist! Bradley Joseph Clemens!
expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Regarding Senga Senga. Brad Clemens. Do your research with him. He owes people money…took deposits, no hunt! Two words, for anyone who wants to hire him…..background check. His character shows and this character follows every aspect of his life. Not to be trusted at all!
Grandpa Moose wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Thanks for the advice/help. Hope the kids get a good plug from my mis post. Rain like crazy here