416 Remington Magnum

I have Model 700s in 270, 7mm/08, 280,7mm Magnum, and 30-06. Taken a bunch of game with Remington 700s.

I think they are great rifles but are not my choice for dangerous game. Deer, elk and plains game are sensible choices for a Model 700. But when the hunt involves animals that can kill you, It’s best to have a well tuned Mauser or Model 70.

This is opinion of every PH that I have spoken with as well. I’m sure there are clients and PHs who think otherwise but why not stack the deck in your favor when you can?

I
I mean, I like the M700 a lot. I have a Custom Whitetail Rifle in 7mm-08 built on a Rem 700 Action.
Super accurate and handles amazingly. Killed a bunch of Whitetail with it.
Took it to Africa and took Blesbok, Bushbuck, Nyala and Mtn Reedbuck with it.

But why try and turn a M700 into a Model 70???
Like the 700 to, tho if I'm buying one now it will be a early 700 or a updated clone, to may extractor problems and I hate not having a locking bolt on a hunting rifle. But yes I agree why make 700 into a 70

Exactly

Why go through all that when you can just by a Win Model 70?

Makes zero sense
Makes a lot of sense to put out a video like this if you own a gunsmithing supply company.

Its no different to an automotive parts supplier putting out a video telling you that you will double the horse power on your car by installing their newest exhaust. And it should be seen in the same light as this.

I
Like the 700 to, tho if I'm buying one now it will be a early 700 or a updated clone, to may extractor problems and I hate not having a locking bolt on a hunting rifle. But yes I agree why make 700 into a 70
Yea, mine is on a Rem 700 Action from like 2005

I like and use the Rem 700 and have one in 375H&H that I would not hesitate to use on DG.
When it comes to the fabled Mauser CRF they are prone to failure like any rifle. When I first got into shooting I looked at the CRF and ran into several different people at ranges and one mate who had nothing but problems with them. This includes things they are not supposed to do. Things like double feed, fail to extract, fail to eject and was well and truly put off them. It took 20 odd years and a Mauser aficionado to explain to me why these things happened and how to rectify them.

The M700 was used to hunt the most dangerous game on earth, enemy soldiers. The extractor is cut so as to bite into the case rim so it will not jump the rim, but some do, and it has about the same bearing area as a Sako extractor. If you are going to break the gas seal of the 700 bolt face then an M16 extractor is better than a Sako extractor.

So what does this mean. Anything designed and built by man, can and will fail. To me your safest bet-esp with Rem quality nowadays-, is to go with a CRF. As has been said, when you get it practice, practice with it and run alot of fast bolt manipulation and reloading. then do it again and again while shooting. If it shows up a fault replace it or have it fixed.

Hands down, Winchester Model 70 Safari Express.

The extractor of the Remington Model 700 is not strong enough to reliably pick up large magnum length cases such as .375 Holland & Holland Magnum or .416 Remington Magnum during high stress situations where the bolt must be operated quickly for multiple firings (esp. in hot, dusty hunting conditions such as in the Zambezi Valley or in the Kalahari).

I actually had the extractor of a variant in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum BREAK during an African safari. During the Zimbabwe Professional Hunter's Training Course, more than one Remington Model 700 in .416 Remington Magnum has failed to extract.

That said, there is a way in which you can make a Remington Model 700 (chambered in a Magnum length cartridge) more reliable- By having a competent gunsmith fit the Model 700 with an M-16 extractor. I personally hunt African big game these days mostly with my son-in-law's Remington Model 700 (in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum). @Red Leg was an extremely generous help when it came to recommending the best American gunsmithing services that could fit an M-16 extractor to the Remington Model 700 for me. He recommended McBride's Guns in Austin, Texas and these people were extremely competent at their job.

Nevertheless, the Remington Model 700 cannot and will not even remotely hold a candle to the Winchester Model 70 (esp. in heavy caliber chamberings). There is a reason why the Winchester Model 70 is still being manufactured in Safari calibers, while the Remington Model 700 is not. And this is coming from someone who absolutely loves Remington products.

Last edited:
Model 70 you will never regret your purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiongxiongqi025

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.