416 Remington Magnum

Have owned a mod 70 Portuguese build safari express in .416 Rem mag for about 5 years now. It has run flawlessly and accuracy is really good. I have hunted with it in cool temperatures in the Eastern Cape to hot and humid on the shores of Lake Kariba.

Have owned a mod 70 Portuguese build safari express in .416 Rem mag for about 5 years now. It has run flawlessly and accuracy is really good. I have hunted with it in cool temperatures in the Eastern Cape to hot and humid on the shores of Lake Kariba.

I own one of these as well. Had no need for it, saw it in a store and it followed me home. Nice, reliable rifle.

I have a Model 70 Alaskan in 375 that was made in Portugal. It too was flawless right out of the box.

In my opinion as a someone who owns too many Winchesters, according to some but none who count, and dating back to the 54’s, pre64 model 70’s, and new model 70’s, I honestly believe the current Safari Express from Portugal to be as good a production rifle you can get. Both of mine were butter smooth out of the box and are sub moa rifles. I’m not throwing mud at the 700, never owned one, but I have no hesitation recommending the Safari Express.

I have a Model 70 Alaskan in 375 that was made in Portugal. It too was flawless right out of the box.
As it should be. My guess is most rifles from major companies are. You only hear about the 0.01% that don’t.

Ive been thinking of turning my CZ550 in 375 into a 416 Rem Mag. From what we can see all is required is a barrel change to a 23" 416 Rem Mag , keeping the original CZ Open Sights , and the fitting of a barrel band and a better front open sight Blade.

The stock will be slimmed down a tad and cleaned up and the frond shortened and a Kickeze magnum recoil pad fitted.

The advantage of the 416 Rem Mag for me is, less recoil than the 416 Rigby , and the magazine easily takes 5 down with no work to the original 375 magazine box.. Also no bolt face opening required , maybe just a bit of work on the feed ramp.

I also much prefer the safety one The CZ 550 - it falls easily to my thumb and its simple - forward for shoot and rear for safety and no fumbling around like a Model 70 3 position safety.

Anyone tried a 416 Rem Mag in the CZ and if so were there any problems or challenges?

Or buy the CRF Montana Rifle Co. .416 I just posted ;)

Larry Potterfield’ nearly perfect model 700 has been nearly turned into a Model 70.

He has installed a M70 style safety and a larger more positive extractor.

Would have been simpler and less expensive to use a Model 70 to begin with.

Also, the custom extractors fitted to Remington actions are still smaller and weaker than the extractors on M70s.

And finally, the custom modifications to Model 70s to make them more reliable do not make them a control feed action, they remain a push feed.

Potterfield jumped through a lot of hoops to customize his Remington action but it is still inferior to a properly set up, Model 70.
It's only nearly perfect because it's not a crf.

Push feed is probably fine for most hunting and you may have tested its feeding to you were blue in the face without fail, but when shit gets real people do things to a gun that's not possible to test out. Guy from meat eater almost got taken out by that moose when his push-feed failed in his panic.

Ive been thinking of turning my CZ550 in 375 into a 416 Rem Mag. From what we can see all is required is a barrel change to a 23" 416 Rem Mag , keeping the original CZ Open Sights , and the fitting of a barrel band and a better front open sight Blade.

The stock will be slimmed down a tad and cleaned up and the frond shortened and a Kickeze magnum recoil pad fitted.

The advantage of the 416 Rem Mag for me is, less recoil than the 416 Rigby , and the magazine easily takes 5 down with no work to the original 375 magazine box.. Also no bolt face opening required , maybe just a bit of work on the feed ramp.

I also much prefer the safety one The CZ 550 - it falls easily to my thumb and its simple - forward for shoot and rear for safety and no fumbling around like a Model 70 3 position safety.

Anyone tried a 416 Rem Mag in the CZ and if so were there any problems or challenges?
Sorry didnt mean to inadvertently hijack this thread........Ill post it elsewhere

As it should be. My guess is most rifles from major companies are. You only hear about the 0.01% that don’t.
AHR did quite alot of business "tuning" new cz's, Rugers tend to be rough and need some work as well, the Remington extractor has got its reputation.

I have the 416 Remington in the Winchester rifle !
I chose it because of the controlled feed.

I reviewed Potterfield"s nearly perfect Safari rifle based on a Model 700.

He made several major modifications to improve it for dangerous game.

1. He installed a Model 70 style,3 position safety.

2. He replaced the factory extractor with a larger sako/M16 style extractor.

3. He replaced the factory bolt handle with a welded bolt from a Mauser.

4. He removed the factory trigger and replaced it.

This made the 700 much better,and adressed its major weaknesses but it still remains a push feed rifle with a relatively small extractor.

A lot of expense and trouble to arrive at something usable when you can have a perfectly serviceable rifle right out of the box with a new Model 70 in 375,416,or 458.

I reviewed Potterfield"s nearly perfect Safari rifle based on a Model 700.

He made several major modifications to improve it for dangerous game.

1. He installed a Model 70 style,3 position safety.

2. He replaced the factory extractor with a larger sako/M16 style extractor.

3. He replaced the factory bolt handle with a welded bolt from a Mauser.

4. He removed the factory trigger and replaced it.

This made the 700 much better,and adressed its major weaknesses but it still remains a push feed rifle with a relatively small extractor.

A lot of expense and trouble to arrive at something usable when you can have a perfectly serviceable rifle right out of the box with a new Model 70 in 375,416,or 458.
Exactly

Why go through all that when you can just by a Win Model 70?

Makes zero sense

I hunted and shot my elephant with my Winchester M70 416 Rem Mag. Also took my first buffalo with it. Really difficult to find a better rifle for the money and purpose. Not too heavy to carry but enough to control recoil and shoot it accurately. Reliable, looks good, works smoothly, accurate in fact mine shoots solids and softs within an inch. Easy to mount a scope with readily available low cost hardware.

Exactly

Why go through all that when you can just by a Win Model 70?

Makes zero sense
It was a enjoyable series to watch but from the start I'm like why not a crf action, should be called nearly perfect medium bore deer rifle.

I wonder if there are enough PH's on this forum to have a poll on what they prefer crf or push.

It was a enjoyable series to watch but from the start I'm like why not a crf action, should be called nearly perfect medium bore deer rifle.

I wonder if there are enough PH's on this forum to have a poll on what they prefer crf or push.
I mean, I like the M700 a lot. I have a Custom Whitetail Rifle in 7mm-08 built on a Rem 700 Action.
Super accurate and handles amazingly. Killed a bunch of Whitetail with it.
Took it to Africa and took Blesbok, Bushbuck, Nyala and Mtn Reedbuck with it.

But why try and turn a M700 into a Model 70???

My friend JHT has used his M70 in 416 on bull elephant,2 cape buffalo and a bushbuck that was shot at 250 yards.

I used mine on a Cape Buffalo, a large Zebra Stallion and a kudu that was shot at 170 yards.

A M70 in 416 is a very effective dangerous game rifle and is also versatile enough to handle plains game at reasonable distances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bingpengqiu530

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]