416 Remington Magnum

RootballExpress

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Good morning everyone,

I’m seeking opinions on the pros and cons and preferences of those who have used a Winchester Model 70 Safari Express and Remington 700 both chambered in 416 Remington Magnum.

I have an option to buy a Remington 700 in 416 Rem Mag right now, or can place an order for a Winchester model 70.

Which one of these two brands you guys prefer and why?

Thanks in advance!

For a dangerous game rifle, there's no substitute for the controlled round feed of the Winchester. I like Remingtons and have several. For me, it’s about having the right tool for the right job. Remington 700 extractors are fragile, especially on high recoil rifles.

My advice is to order the Winchester…

I’m solidly in favor of getting a Model 70. I have both model 70’s and 700’s. I hunt with the model 70’s and the 700’s sit in the safe. I believe model 70’s are a superior choice.

I expect you’ll love the 416 Remington. I shoot a 416 Hoffman, which is nearly a twin to the Remington. It’s a fantastic dangerous game chambering and one of the finest choices for buffalo. If the Remington chambering had been developed when I had mine built, I’d have the Remington now. It’s very shootable for nearly everyone and hits real hard.

I do appreciate everyone’s input and everyone who will continue to chime in on this.

I have mainly Remington 700’s in many different chamberings and love them! I was almost sold on the Remington 700 in 416 Rem Mag, BUT have heard in the heat of the moment, the model 70 will outperform it every time. Very, very interesting to me

I do appreciate everyone’s input and everyone who will continue to chime in on this.

I have mainly Remington 700’s in many different chamberings and love them! I was almost sold on the Remington 700 in 416 Rem Mag, BUT have heard in the heat of the moment, the model 70 will outperform it every time. Very, very interesting to me
My Remington 700s have almost always been a touch more accurate than Winchesters, but for a DG rifle, you’re not necessarily looking for 1/2 MOA accuracy. The control round feed is a primary safety device. Winchesters are very close in accuracy. So it’s not like they shoot badly at all!!!

On page 72 of Kevin Robertson's book "Africa's Most Dangerous" there is a photo of a M700 Remington bolt face that a client of his was using on an elephant hunt that had the extractor pull from the bolt face when trying extract the spent case from the first shot. That will not happen with a M70 Winchester.
Good morning everyone,

I’m seeking opinions on the pros and cons and preferences of those who have used a Winchester Model 70 Safari Express and Remington 700 both chambered in 416 Remington Magnum.

I have an option to buy a Remington 700 in 416 Rem Mag right now, or can place an order for a Winchester model 7

Thanks in advance!

I was working for Remington when the 416 came Out. I shot my first buff with the Remington M700. No problem. I shifted to the M/70 Safari Grade and never looked back. I would use a 700 for everything but Dangerous game.

We use the .416 Rem in Model 70 Win & even have a couple of Left hand rifles, have been very very good.

I would not even consider a Rem 700 in a DG rifle, the weak extractor with the possibility of the bolt handle breaking/coming off is a non starter, this could be made worse with the high pressure .416 Rem cartridge !

I help out at a Gun Smiths here & we have had a lot of Rem 700 with out the bolt handle, so many the boss bought extras from supplier !!

Good morning everyone,

I have an option to buy a Remington 700 in 416 Rem Mag right now, or can place an order for a Winchester model 70.

Thanks in advance!

Lots of folks talking about DG without you asking about that specifically. Is that your intention?

I have had more problems with reliable feeding and ejection with model 70 CRF’s than I have any Remington. I am a lefty and have owned 3 Winchester 70 Classics. Zastava Mausers have been better out of the gate. My advice is to take out whatever you get and put it through some rigorous shooting scenarios if you’re going to chase something that bites. You might find success (or failure) where you weren’t expecting it.

Edited to add that I have beaten 2 overpressured cases out of the bolt heads on 2 different 700’s and never broke an extractor.

I have a Model 70 in 416 Remington. I think it’s a perfect dangerous game rifle for a client.

Killed my Cape Buffalo as well as zebra and kudu with mine this August.

One of the best choices in a rifle of moderate price.

Lots of folks talking about DG without you asking about that specifically. Is that your intention?

I have had more problems with reliable feeding and ejection with model 70 CRF’s than I have any Remington. I am a lefty and have owned 3 Winchester 70 Classics. Zastava Mausers have been better out of the gate. My advice is to take out whatever you get and put it through some rigorous shooting scenarios if you’re going to chase something that bites. You might find success (or failure) where you weren’t expecting it.

Edited to add that I have beaten 2 overpressured cases out of the bolt heads on 2 different 700’s and never broke an extractor.
Yes, I am seeking feedback from anyone who has experience with either or both the Rem 700 and Win Model 70 chambered in 416 Rem Mag why hunting dangerous game.

Feedback regarding handling, feeding, extraction, and overall functionality of either the Rem 700 or Win Model 70.

As one who has owned both and a die hard Remington guy.
If you choose the Remington send it to LRI for M16 extractor up grade. Or buy the Winchester. Both were accurate, just make sure if extractor for DG

I would recommend the Winchester. They are great rifles in my experience and the 416 is well balanced. In terms of the push feed vs CRF debate it matters less for a client, it’s more important that you can shoot the rifle well.

That being said the 700 in 416 REM in particular gained a reputation for issues, as was stated above. Higher chamber pressure combined with higher ambient temperature and finger nail extractors, not an ideal combination.

Whatever you pick practice with it, any rifle from any maker could have issues.

My Model 70 in 416 years was a New Haven rifle which actually did not feed smoothly from the magazine.

I sent it to a gun smith to sort out the feeding and adjust the trigger. It is perfect now and I have total confidence in it.

The Model 700 Remington was my first, and still my favorite, big-game rifle.

BUT, for DG, I use a controlled feed bolt-action rifles.

I've never had a problem with a Remington Model 700 (I own, at least 6).

I would get the Winchester...

Especially, with the recent QC issues that Remington has had.

Larry Potterfield’ nearly perfect model 700 has been nearly turned into a Model 70.

He has installed a M70 style safety and a larger more positive extractor.

Would have been simpler and less expensive to use a Model 70 to begin with.

Also, the custom extractors fitted to Remington actions are still smaller and weaker than the extractors on M70s.

And finally, the custom modifications to Model 70s to make them more reliable do not make them a control feed action, they remain a push feed.

Potterfield jumped through a lot of hoops to customize his Remington action but it is still inferior to a properly set up, Model 70.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bingpengqiu530

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]