416 help

Ryanelson

Reaction score
My next trip to Africa I want to take a Cape buffalo. I really want the weatherby with brake but that isn’t looking good. Ruger makes a 416 that looks good in the guide or Hawkeye. Would like some input. Don’t kill me or make it to complicated. I arrived at the 416 weatherby from someone I trusted.

Any of the rugers in 416 are a good option. Hawkeye, Alaskan, RSM (RSM is my fav of that group) leave the brake at home as to not deafen your PH.

A .416 will sort you out properly on a DG hunt, however I'd like what other calibers you have. Most shooters have only experienced up to a .30 caliber magnum as their most potent cartridge. Moving from that to a .400+ is a major jump.

It is legal in all African countries to take Cape buffalo with a 375H&H or 375RUGER. If you have not experienced mid-bore recoil, I'd highly recommend this as a stepping stone to the .400's. Depending on how many DG hunts you plan on doing in your lifetime, you may find a .375 caliber more versatile than a .416.

As for brakes...no brakes. Your PH, tracker and rest of the hunting party will thank you. Practice with dry fire as much as possible to instill the proper technique and go to the range to confirm. This will not only save ammo and money, but your learning curve will be much faster.

Proper technique and rifle fit become more important as the caliber goes up. You can get away with a lot shooting a 22lr, but step into the realm of the big bores and you could end up scope cut, injured or develop a flinch you can't shake. Take your time and walk it up slowly.

ALL 416s deliver the same performance with 400 gr bullets. Thus ANY 416 that fits your budget should do the job. Find a nice, used CRF Rigby, Rem, Taylor or RCM (cartridge, not necessarily gun mfr.) The extra 300 fps of the Wby is simply so your shoulder can constantly remind you of the safari long after it's done (and quite possibly leave you heading home with a missed buff). 2,350-2,450 fps does everything the Wby will do, and less, in a very good way! Wby are good guns, but the DG cartridges are unnecessarily overcooked for on-paper bragging rights. I'd far rather have a pre-owned quality (older and/or custom) gun than today's typical factory lightweight POS. A lightweight DG gun is not your friend. Good luck! And, as said above do not overlook a good deal on a nice 375 (it gets all jobs done and they're a pleasure to shoot!)

The Weatherby gives you 300 additional fps that you don't need and you pay the recoil penalty. The ph and trackers don't appreciate the muzzle brake.

Get a 416 Rigby, Ruger or Remington that gives you 400 grains at 2400. With a rifle of appropriate weight, no brake needed.

A .416 will sort you out properly on a DG hunt, however I'd like what other calibers you have. Most shooters have only experienced up to a .30 caliber magnum as their most potent cartridge. Moving from that to a .400+ is a major jump.

It is legal in all African countries to take Cape buffalo with a 375H&H or 375RUGER. If you have not experienced mid-bore recoil, I'd highly recommend this as a stepping stone to the .400's. Depending on how many DG hunts you plan on doing in your lifetime, you may find a .375 caliber more versatile than a .416.

As for brakes...no brakes. Your PH, tracker and rest of the hunting party will thank you. Practice with dry fire as much as possible to instill the proper technique and go to the range to confirm. This will not only save ammo and money, but your learning curve will be much faster.

Proper technique and rifle fit become more important as the caliber goes up. You can get away with a lot shooting a 22lr, but step into the realm of the big bores and you could end up scope cut, injured or develop a flinch you can't shake. Take your time and walk it up slowly.
I have experience with 45-70. That was initially what I was planning on using. After a lot of input I want to use a little more gun. No need to make a dangerous hunt more dangerous.

The Weatherby gives you 300 additional fps that you don't need and you pay the recoil penalty. The ph and trackers don't appreciate the muzzle brake.

Get a 416 Rigby, Ruger or Remington that gives you 400 grains at 2400. With a rifle of appropriate weight, no brake needed.
Both of the Rutgers have brakes but I’m pretty sure they can be removed and a solid piece comes with them. Maybe not

I have experience with 45-70. That was initially what I was planning on using. After a lot of input I want to use a little more gun. No need to make a dangerous hunt more dangerous.
Place a proper first shot and your DG hunt just got a lot more "safe". Much easier to do with a .375 than with something larger. BTW - The 375H&H 300 grain factory load will deliver more velocity and energy on target than a 45-70 handloaded to HOT.

It's your hunt, you do as you wish.

Both of the Rutgers have brakes but I’m pretty sure they can be removed and a solid piece comes with them. Maybe not
All of the Ruger’s chambered in 375 Ruger and 416 Ruger, Guide Gun, Alaskan, African Hawkeye come with an installed muzzle brake, a weighted threaded protector (so no change of impact if sighted in with muzzle brake and a non weighted thread protector. I think they are some of the best priced CRF rifles for dangerous game presently.

The buffalo won’t know the difference between 416 Remington, Ruger, Weatherby, or Rigby, but don’t think the Ruger is going to have staying power in the future. The 416 weatherby has almost disappeared already. 416 Ruger in a Ruger rifle would be a good Buffalo gun, but if you aren’t sure when your next buffalo hunt will be a 375 H&H or 416 Remington or 416 Rigby would be a better choice so components and factory ammo will still be around in the future. Also, you can find those cartridges in Africa if something were to happen to your ammo. You most likely will not find the others and need to borrow a rifle instead.

I own both a .416 Ruger with removable muzzle brake and several .375 H&H. The gun I pick most often is the .375. especially for buffalo. I have shot 4 buffalo in Africa and all but one with the .375. None "needed" additional shots after the first, only one got an insurance shot, the others were all dead before we walked up to them. The .375 is very versatile for other game as well, with plenty of ammo availability wherever you are. I'm not trying to talk you out of a .416, but if you are only buying one gun, make it a .375. Enjoy!!!

If you are looking for some thing bigger than 375 for what ever reson, 416 is not going to be that much better. Both are mediam bore. 375 will do the job, versatile, not very expensive, ammo available everywhere. Only reson to go above 375 is normaly is for stoping a charge. If that is what you are thinking, then go with 458 winchester. Same comfort applies to 375 applies to 458 winchester. Recoil is not as bad as you may think.
My 2c.
Krish

I went with the 416 Remington in a Winchester CRF rifle. I had a 416 Rigby before but in a fit of stupidity sold it. I have found that the Remington is a little cheaper to shoot than the Rigby. If you look around you can find a good used one for a good price. Good luck with the decision.

All of the Ruger’s chambered in 375 Ruger and 416 Ruger, Guide Gun, Alaskan, African Hawkeye come with an installed muzzle brake, a weighted threaded protector (so no change of impact if sighted in with muzzle brake and a non weighted thread protector. I think they are some of the best priced CRF rifles for dangerous game presently.
Not all of them are threaded. I have an Alaskan with a 23 inch barrel and it isn’t threaded. I agree with you that Rugers are a good value, particularly for left hand shooters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AddieWhitt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa