404 Ruger

Yes, thi
WAAAAIIIIIITTTTTT just a minute. So you've already proven the use of 375H&H brass in a 404 Jeffery, after fireforming using the (in America) Unique Powder/Cream of Wheat trick. That's awesome. Seriously never thought that would be possible. GENIUS!!!
Yes this was done already about eight years back...(y)(y)(y)

just get or build a 404 Jeff..........

just get or build a 404 Jeff..........
I agree, IvW, unfortunately the 404 Jeffery caliber is not build by many rifle builders, the .416 Rigby has that claim to fame...
In South Africa I know only two persons who build the 404 Jeffery hunting rifles..Johan Greyling and Koos De Beer , two of my own friends....CZ are known for manufacturing this caliber as well...but yes, I think building the 404 Jeffery maybe the best option to advert the steep costs of buying one if you do get them in the second hand markets..

Slightly off topic but since we're talking 404. I've looked a few times and never found out the history of why the name 404 Jeffery uses that number. Was it just marketing because it sounds good? One up on 303? Or is there some sort of logical explanation based on the history and some actual dimension somewhere?

Slightly off topic but since we're talking 404. I've looked a few times and never found out the history of why the name 404 Jeffery uses that number. Was it just marketing because it sounds good? One up on 303? Or is there some sort of logical explanation based on the history and some actual dimension somewhere?
I would think, the first .40 is the caliber...the other 4 I think maybe the year 1904 the designed in blue print since it sells from 1905...my perspective..

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is maybe the best description photo of fire -forming a .375 H&H belted Magnum to fit in a 404 Jeffery chamber.
DSC_0010.jpg

The left side is the original 404 Jeffery brass case..the two middle brass cases are .375 H&H/404 Jeffery Belted Magnum ...on the far right is a standard .375 H&H Magnum brass case..

Last edited:
As pointed out, I perceive the .375 H&H Magnum brass case to be the case with the most potential to fire form into other obscure /lost calibers when in need off making ammo to shoot from the scarce rifle...

Forrest Hally, I do believe you to be mistaken in your assumption...Dale `s question is about the conversion of the Ruger brass /chamber to a 404 Jeffery caliber......all the posts we made indicate it to be about a conversion of a said caliber to a 404 Jeffery...I do believe Dale will agree with me on this point....I really think it is of paramount importance to assist a fellow member with functional information to enable him to make a correct choice....

Capt_Oscar let us know how it goes btw what did you do with the barrel to get it .423 new barrel or same?

Capt_Oscar let us know how it goes btw what did you do with the barrel to get it .423 new barrel or same?
Was supposed to be a rebore, but they claimed there wasn't enough meat left on the factory 375Ruger barrel. (There was plenty plus spare meat aka: barrel diameter based on the info on their website.) Anyway, they used another heavier donor barrel and rebored and recut the chamber. The one frustration is how short they cut the throat. The cartridge on the left was my provided dummy, what I got back was on the right.
0819211815b.jpg

That is very short hope you can get that sorted out.

Wow that is very short. You have lost a good deal of powder space cause of that. I would have to have that throat opened up if it were me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilarEastw

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?