.404 Jeffery Built On FN ‘98

I agree most of the "express" rear sights are more cosmetic than functional. However, for a while in the nineties Winchester had a rear sight for their Safari Express Model 70 that was highly functional. It is adjustable both windage and elevation AND the leaf folds down. Remington at the same time made very similar multi adjustable ramped rear sight for some Model 700s but leaf does not fold down. The Winchester rear sight is screw attached so easily removed if desired. The hooded front sight that came with it was also screw mounted rather than silver soldered.

For some reason vision in my shooting eye continues to improve as I age. Very odd. I can make leaf iron sights work if I look over my glasses. Need to get the prescription updated ... again! It is handy having the option to quick detach the scope for iron sights in crappy weather, something that would be very handy hunting the USA's soggy Pacific Northwest.

Beautiful rifle!

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm new to dangerous game rifles. How would anyone ever know what scope mounts are on this rifle. I see that it has a peep.

Does the peep come off and is there a scope mount under it?

Do the rings come with the rifle? Or just the bases?

Is there anyone on this planet, or any planet, that knows who made these scope bases and if there are any corresponding rings that will mate with them?

Thank you!

crossone
Sorry for delayed response. As others have correctly pointed out, the peep is a Talley and is cinched down on a Talley scope mount base. When the peep is dismounted, the top of the action then has Talley scope ring bases on both the front and rear, ready for a scope with rings attached to be installed. Talley is still in business and has a website. If Talley bases aren’t what is wanted, they can be removed by having your gunsmith remove the screws holding them down. I suggest gunsmith as IIRC, the screws were put in with a bit of loktite. The hole spacing on the action is standard - other brands of bases can be used.

Dave, what is the LOP?

I echo the best wishes of those before me.
The LOP is 13.5”; I forget the amount of cast off that I had Dennis put on, but I could figure it out if desired. He was a pleasure to work with.

The LOP was chosen to accommodate Alaska hunting conditions - not wanting to have the heel caught on a jacket when potentially needing to quickly sort out a brownie disputing ownership of a blacktail deer. (On Kodiak, gun shots attract them. The bear typically wins ownership, it’s just a matter of how hard they want to press it. There and on the Kenai, when people talk about brownies busting out of the alders, they’re talking feet, not yards.)

I agree most of the "express" rear sights are more cosmetic than functional. However, for a while in the nineties Winchester had a rear sight for their Safari Express Model 70 that was highly functional. It is adjustable both windage and elevation AND the leaf folds down. Remington at the same time made very similar multi adjustable ramped rear sight for some Model 700s but leaf does not fold down. The Winchester rear sight is screw attached so easily removed if desired. The hooded front sight that came with it was also screw mounted rather than silver soldered.

For some reason vision in my shooting eye continues to improve as I age. Very odd. I can make leaf iron sights work if I look over my glasses. Need to get the prescription updated ... again! It is handy having the option to quick detach the scope for iron sights in crappy weather, something that would be very handy hunting the USA's soggy Pacific Northwest.
I admire your luck with your dominant eye. Mine is working in reverse of yours.

Beautiful rifle!

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm new to dangerous game rifles. How would anyone ever know what scope mounts are on this rifle. I see that it has a peep.

Does the peep come off and is there a scope mount under it?

Do the rings come with the rifle? Or just the bases?

Is there anyone on this planet, or any planet, that knows who made these scope bases and if there are any corresponding rings that will mate with them?

Thank you!

crossone

Just so you have a visual on the rings - here are some quick-detach Talleys. I have a dozen sets of them (as well as one rifle that uses the peep as well). As was stated, they are a solid system.

PMZ_9673-scaled.jpg

Just so you have a visual on the rings - here are some quick-detach Talleys. I have a dozen sets of them (as well as one rifle that uses the peep as well). As was stated, they are a solid system.

PMZ_9673-scaled.jpg
Just like express sights, the qd levers look salty as heck. I took mine off of my 9.3x62 as they kept coming loose from sliding in and out of the Kolpin gunboot on my 4 wheeler. Caused some missed opportunities until it was sorted out. I put them back on when I am in civilization, so to speak. It would be nice if there were a way to tighten them to the desired level, then lock them in place via some mechanical fashion.

PMZ_9673-scaled.jpg
Curious if these rings will attach to standard P-rail (Weaver bases) or are they proprietary to Talley bases only?

Curious if these rings will attach to standard P-rail (Weaver bases) or are they proprietary to Talley bases only?

Talley does make rings for Picatinney rails just like the ones shown. They do not interchange with the bases as shown on the rifle.

Just like express sights, the qd levers look salty as heck. I took mine off of my 9.3x62 as they kept coming loose from sliding in and out of the Kolpin gunboot on my 4 wheeler. Caused some missed opportunities until it was sorted out. I put them back on when I am in civilization, so to speak. It would be nice if there were a way to tighten them to the desired level, then lock them in place via some mechanical fashion.
Try these Warne QD rings. The levers are adjustable. Spring loaded and can be locked to any position without tools. I mount mine with levers on the same side as bolt handle and windage turret. That way the levers are somewhat protected. Also, the levers are not catching on clothing when rifle is slung on my right shoulder. Being mounted on right side does not hinder loading, as is commonly thought. I can easily load this rifle with my eyes closed.
20231119_114717.jpg

Try these Warne QD rings. The levers are adjustable. Spring loaded and can be locked to any position without tools. I mount mine with levers on the same side as bolt handle and windage turret. That way the levers are somewhat protected. Also, the levers are not catching on clothing when rifle is slung on my right shoulder. Being mounted on right side does not hinder loading, as is commonly thought. I can easily load this rifle with my eyes closed.View attachment 584901
Wow! I have some Warne mounts and rings my Dad gave me, back in the ‘80s, but I am pretty sure they don’t have Pilkington levers. I hope I’m wrong - that would be great. Now if I can find them. Thanks!

Wow! I have some Warne mounts and rings my Dad gave me, back in the ‘80s, but I am pretty sure they don’t have Pilkington levers. I hope I’m wrong - that would be great. Now if I can find them. Thanks!
I suspect their QD style rings may be a relatively new development.

Re backup irons - in looking at Mauser commercial sporting rifles with the barrel mounted tangent sights, most show a “zero” range of 50 meters/yards, usually topping out at a ridiculous (for a sporting rifle) 1,000 meters or yards. Setting that aside, they appear to be sturdy and simple to use. Recut the sight notch from the miniscule V notch to a wider, deeper square notch, then pair it with a highly visible square front sight, mounted in a transverse dovetail (for windage at sight in). Add a small keeper screw to it and tighten it to avoid it moving during rough handling.

Mauser was pretty creative. IIRC, Mauser did make adjustable tangent sights for Venezuela for the Pan American games back in the day. No idea if they did similar things for sporting rifles.

DB Talley sends a nut with the QD mount that is loosened and tightened with a small torx

The lever is simply taken off and the nut treaded on. It’s still quickly removed. But you need the provided torx wrench

Thank you - I will check them out. It sounds similar to what Ross Seyfreid used to advise - replace the levers with a set screw. But this sounds better.

I really really hate to let it go, but my cancer has metastasized into my spine, so I decided I need to let someone else hunt it. I’m optimistically holding onto my 7x57 and 9.3x62.
What a beautiful rifle in a great DG caliber! GLWS. But more importantly I wish you all the best and prayers with your battle with the awful disease.

DB Talley sends a nut with the QD mount that is loosened and tightened with a small torx

The lever is simply taken off and the nut treaded on. It’s still quickly removed. But you need the provided torx wrench
Even the old Weaver rings were "detachable". Their large knurled knobs could be tightened by hand ... but never enough. That's why the knobs also had slots for screwdriver (slotted screws = ugh!). So those rings, like Talley permanent rings, can be detached, just not quickly. Warne standard rings also come with torx wrench. I suspect the only difference with their QD rings is the levers ... and the price tag.

Hey all, I want to sincerely thank each of you for your prayers, your best wishes and the sharing of your knowledge about Talley vs NECG; also, a sincere thanks for your questions about the rifle. You all are an amazing bunch of folks. I learned a lot. Thank you.

I do want to let the forum membership know that this week I will be listing the rifle on other sites; I may or may not choose to “part out” the Norma cases, the RCBS dies and the Hornady 400 gr softs at that time. When/if I do so, I will post that information here. To the extent I am able to sell those items, the price of the rifle will be adjusted a bit, but don’t expect miracles - in keeping with family heritage, I would rather it accompany me into the flames than be given away.

All the best and good shooting- Dave

Stay in touch. I'm glad to have learned some stuff. The dialog was fun. Thank you.

Don't give it away. That is a great rifle. Wish I could take it off your hands but I already have a 404J and it's probably one gun too many. Anyway, I'm also at a point in life where I should be downsizing rather than expanding. Hang in there, Dave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrogFan

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?