375 Ruger vs 375 H&H

Grizzly375

AH member
Reaction score
I’m looking at acquiring one of the 2 stated above, ammo is readily available where I’m at for both so that’s not an issue. I’m looking at the Ruger Hawkeye African and the Winchester Model 70 Safari Express. TIA

Last edited:
They are very similar. The H&H has the historical value while the Ruger has better performance in a shorter cartridge. I have 2 .375 Rugers.

I believe the m70 will be a bit smoother out of the box. The Hawkeye I handled was very rough around the action and wasn’t all that smooth. Maybe it was the one I handled.

There have been two stories I have read where the Ruger can be a victim of getting jammed due to people trying to reload to fast and the sear causes the shell to jam. I would choose the H&H which is what I own

.375 Holland & Holland Magnum. It’s a 111 year old classic that continues to serve me extremely well ever since 1974. Perfectly ideal for everything, except for body shots on bull elephant.

IMG_1377.jpeg

IMG_1787.jpeg

IMG_2750.jpeg
IMG_1790.jpeg
IMG_1798.jpeg
IMG_1793.jpeg
IMG_1794.jpeg
IMG_1795.jpeg
IMG_1356.jpeg
IMG_1355.jpeg
IMG_1354.jpeg
IMG_1353.jpeg
IMG_1791.jpeg
IMG_1801.jpeg
IMG_1537.jpeg
IMG_2690.jpeg
IMG_2754.jpeg
IMG_2755.jpeg
IMG_1524.jpeg
IMG_1807.jpeg
IMG_1530.jpeg

IMG_1351.jpeg

Last edited:
I have both. Ruger African in 375 Ruger and 375 H&H In Browning. The Browning is by far the smoothest and shoots very accurate. The Ruger shoots a little faster and it’s accuracy is more like a varmint rifle. The Ruger came with a factory muzzle break so it is good for my girls to shoot. The H&H ammo is everywhere around the world so I’ll use it unless the girls are along then I’ll need something with a break on it.

Ammo supply.
375 H&H ammo globally available and distributed.
375 Ruger ammo, much less.

Gun availability.
Generally 375 H&H will need long magnum action. (there are few models of 375 H&H on medium action, as factory rifle- such as Winchester m70 and zastava m70).
Magnum action is becoming luxury item, and prices are going high. New DWM m98 Mauser rifle on magnum action starts at around 10k.

375 H&H will require medium action.

I believe, that future of general market is reserved for medium action magnums, due to factory rifle budget pricing in medium action, and this will be followed with market availability of factory ammo.

Ballistics are so similar it's a coin toss and both are excellent rifles.

Action length is the only real reason 375Ruger exists. They wanted to cram 375H&H performance into
a regular action. As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. The downside is in order to achieve similar ballistics the Ruger also gets a bit more recoil.

The H&H has 100 more years of history and legacy than the Ruger but that only matters if such things matter to the potential owner.

If you throw all that into the mix I'd choose 375H&H over 375Ruger. History and legacy matter to me, I couldn't care less about action length, the ballistics are the same, ammo availability favors the H&H and the H&H has slightly less recoil.

IMO, either round will take the same game you would be after. Therefore, I would base my decision on:
- Availability of ammo globally (if you are only hunting in the US probably not near as important so maybe a non-factor)
- Make of rifle you want

Personally, I would buy both. I appreciate the 375 Ruger's improved ballistics (slightly) but I am a sucker for the storied tradition of the 375H&H. Id get the Ruger 375 in a Ruger Alaskan and a 375 H&H in a wood stock rifle.

Just my two cents.

I have a Ruger Alaskan model left-handed in 375R. It is a little rough to start out, but mine also smoothed out rather quickly.
It'll knock down most anything out there IF you do your part!

Fellow Hunters,

I know that those who dig on whatever is new in the market place are going to slap me silly for the following rant.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nonetheless, sometimes I believe we should say something to the benefit of people just starting out in the hunting of larger than white tail deer sized critters, lest they become infected with “velocity madness”, leaving them weakened and easy prey for such as the following described advertising strategy ………

Today’s trend (fad) in short action rifles is simply an advertising tactic, so that the factories can sell to us something we don’t really need.
In launching new and puffed up claims of “better” products = when their sales pitch is a success, they reap the benefit of a sales frenzy.
But, the only benefit to anyone in making shorter rifle mechanisms is using less steel.
As such, by using less material to build each product, the maker gains more profit margin.

It is absolutely zero benefit to the consumer.
Make no mistake, I am absolutely 100% all for capitalism.
Even with that, I will not fall for the sales hype from every traveling medicine show and snake oil peddler that rolls across the prairie.

Short actioned rifles do nothing that is truly useful to the hunter, plus sometimes they actually make things more problematic for the hunter (magazine box too short to use heavy bullet ammunition).
An exception might be argued that for high mountain hunts (sheep, goat, chamois, etc.), every gram of weight shaved off a rifle matters.
However with that, most hunters will not choose a .37 bore to hunt such alpine critters with in the first place.
(So lucky you guys, my rant continues).
Also with stiff kickers, when a rifle is too light, recoil can be more of a hindrance than a benefit.

Anyway, Ruger touts and crows often enough that their new version of the .375 inch bore cartridge, provides 100 feet per second higher velocity than the original H&H version, provided the same barrel length or maybe even a tic shorter.
Evidently this advertising strategy has worked, because the Ruger cartridge seems to be popular enough that I sometimes see ammunition for it on gun store display shelves.
The sand in this ice cream is that when using 300 grain bullets, the H&H is already going about 150 fps faster than necessary.:unsure:

Well anyway, if a person wants an inexpensive .375 caliber bolt action rifle that is made from stainless steel, the Ruger is all of that.
Never mind that people who’ve shot the Ruger version, sometimes say that the Ruger cartridge recoils a bit more than the original H&H .375 generally does and ammunition is sometimes not as commonly available as the original H&H version ammunition is.

Be all of that as it may, here in extra wet coastal Alaska where I live, using such a stainless steel rifle, as the Ruger, chambered in a powerful cartridge would make sense.
(Both rusted metal and large bears are very, very common here).
If however Ruger made that same rifle with the proper length action, to fit the original H&H caliber, it would make a lot more sense (a lot more sense to me anyway).
:ROFLMAO:

Ok that’s it, my rifle grump rant ends here.

Bah Humbug,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Ammo supply.
375 H&H ammo globally available and distributed.
375 Ruger ammo, much less.

Gun availability.
Generally 375 H&H will need long magnum action. (there are few models of 375 H&H on medium action, as factory rifle- such as Winchester m70 and zastava m70).
Magnum action is becoming luxury item, and prices are going high. New DWM m98 Mauser rifle on magnum action starts at around 10k.

375 H&H will require medium action.

I believe, that future of general market is reserved for medium action magnums, due to factory rifle budget pricing in medium action, and this will be followed with market availability of factory ammo.
Very good information!

Performance-wise, everything speaks for the Ruger,
Short case, fits in standard systems, no belt and more powder volume.
In addition, you can shoot them from "short" barrels.
The H+H is completely different.
But, if you ignore the sensational subjective history.
The H+H is a currency in African countries (approx. 20.- USD in Zimbabwe, if available at all) that every PH is happy about if you leave a few cartridges. He can't do anything with the Ruger.
Anything fall over with both.

Fellow Hunters,

I know that those who dig on whatever is new in the market place are going to slap me silly for the following rant.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nonetheless, sometimes I believe we should say something to the benefit of people just starting out in the hunting of larger than white tail deer sized critters, lest they become infected with “velocity madness”, leaving them weakened and easy prey for such as the following described advertising strategy ………

Today’s trend (fad) in short action rifles is simply an advertising tactic, so that the factories can sell to us something we don’t really need.
In launching new and puffed up claims of “better” products = when their sales pitch is a success, they reap the benefit of a sales frenzy.
But, the only benefit to anyone in making shorter rifle mechanisms is using less steel.
As such, by using less material to build each product, the maker gains more profit margin.

It is absolutely zero benefit to the consumer.
Make no mistake, I am absolutely 100% all for capitalism.
Even with that, I will not fall for the sales hype from every traveling medicine show and snake oil peddler that rolls across the prairie.

Short actioned rifles do nothing that is truly useful to the hunter, plus sometimes they actually make things more problematic for the hunter (magazine box too short to use heavy bullet ammunition).
An exception might be argued that for high mountain hunts (sheep, goat, chamois, etc.), every gram of weight shaved off a rifle matters.
However with that, most hunters will not choose a .37 bore to hunt such alpine critters with in the first place.
(So lucky you guys, my rant continues).
Also with stiff kickers, when a rifle is too light, recoil can be more of a hindrance than a benefit.

Anyway, Ruger touts and crows often enough that their new version of the .375 inch bore cartridge, provides 100 feet per second higher velocity than the original H&H version, provided the same barrel length or maybe even a tic shorter.
Evidently this advertising strategy has worked, because the Ruger cartridge seems to be popular enough that I sometimes see ammunition for it on gun store display shelves.
The sand in this ice cream is that when using 300 grain bullets, the H&H is already going about 150 fps faster than necessary.:unsure:

Well anyway, if a person wants an inexpensive .375 caliber bolt action rifle that is made from stainless steel, the Ruger is all of that.
Never mind that people who’ve shot the Ruger version, sometimes say that the Ruger cartridge recoils a bit more than the original H&H .375 generally does and ammunition is sometimes not as commonly available as the original H&H version ammunition is.

Be all of that as it may, here in extra wet coastal Alaska where I live, using such a stainless steel rifle, as the Ruger, chambered in a powerful cartridge would make sense.
(Both rusted metal and large bears are very, very common here).
If however Ruger made that same rifle with the proper length action, to fit the original H&H caliber, it would make a lot more sense (a lot more sense to me anyway).
:ROFLMAO:

Ok that’s it, my rifle grump rant ends here.

Bah Humbug,
Velo Dog.
I give you a 10 for that rant!!! Lol!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilarEastw

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?