375 Ruger vs 375 H&H

If hand loaded the velocity is basically no difference. Ruger just loads their factory ammo hotter than factory H&H. Belt makes no difference, even though people obsess over it. It has worked in excellent fashion for over 100 years!
Go with the most classic, most available, most-coolest, most obvious choice…THE Holland & Holland!!!

Unless….you are mainly hunting in wet grizzly country. Then I could definitely see how a ruger Alaskan would check every box, and do so affordably (not many all-weather H&H’s available).

You will find 375 H&H ammo anywhere in world and any safari camp. The 375 Ruger isn’t as common. If you look at the gunmakers building 375 H&H vs 375 Ruger I’m not sure the 375 Ruger is going to last forever. The 375 Ruger is only built by American companies. The 375 H&H has much more ammo availability and more options to choose for rifles. It’s not going anywhere. Choose the 375 H&H.

Ballistics are so similar it's a coin toss and both are excellent rifles.

Action length is the only real reason 375Ruger exists. They wanted to cram 375H&H performance into
a regular action. As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. The downside is in order to achieve similar ballistics the Ruger also gets a bit more recoil.

The H&H has 100 more years of history and legacy than the Ruger but that only matters if such things matter to the potential owner.

If you throw all that into the mix I'd choose 375H&H over 375Ruger. History and legacy matter to me, I couldn't care less about action length, the ballistics are the same, ammo availability favors the H&H and the H&H has slightly less recoil.
I forgot to add that I used to own an M77 375Ruger. All stainless and laminate stock. Very suitable for hunting anywhere. I still own a CZ 550 375H&H. It started life in blue and walnut. Since I preferred it overall to the Ruger (except for the caliber I considered them equals) I added a B&C stock and sent it to AHR for upgrades 1&2. It's now also suitable for hunting anywhere.

I just bought a Ruger Alaskan and it is sitting in the passenger seat next to me, I will get a scope mounted this week and shoot it. Brass isn’t easy to source, loaded ammo is high from what I’ve seen. It is typical of any Ruger firearm, not smooth out of the box, but I haven’t had one that didn’t wear in easily.
You have to decide what you want to do with the rifle, if you are going to be climbing in and out of pack raft in the interior of Alaska a SS rifle makes a lot of sense, shooting game in the veldt, bring the pretty girl along for the ride.
The only fault I can find in the H&H is the fact it is smaller than .40 cal.
As far as the 375 WBY goes I would find it cumbersome to drag the 55 gallon drum of K-Y Jelly around that you would need to make the ass raping a little more comfortable when buying ammo or brass. But ballistically a fine cartridge. I’m just a little sore after buying some 338-378 loaded ammo a couple weeks ago.
Good luck in your search!

I just bought a Ruger Alaskan and it is sitting in the passenger seat next to me, I will get a scope mounted this week and shoot it. Brass isn’t easy to source, loaded ammo is high from what I’ve seen. It is typical of any Ruger firearm, not smooth out of the box, but I haven’t had one that didn’t wear in easily.
You have to decide what you want to do with the rifle, if you are going to be climbing in and out of pack raft in the interior of Alaska a SS rifle makes a lot of sense, shooting game in the veldt, bring the pretty girl along for the ride.
The only fault I can find in the H&H is the fact it is smaller than .40 cal.
As far as the 375 WBY goes I would find it cumbersome to drag the 55 gallon drum of K-Y Jelly around that you would need to make the ass raping a little more comfortable when buying ammo or brass. But ballistically a fine cartridge. I’m just a little sore after buying some 338-378 loaded ammo a couple weeks ago.
Good luck in your search!
Don't you mean the 378 Weatherby since all the 375 Weatherby is just a 375 HH Improved.

Don't you mean the 378 Weatherby since all the 375 Weatherby is just a 375 HH Improved.
I mean all weatherby’s with the exception of the 7mm, 300 and now the 30-378 are solely loaded by Weatherby and priced out of the average guys pocket book. Now don’t get me wrong, Roy was a mad genius and designed some great cartridges! The 340 Weatherby may very well be the best of the 338 cartridges, it is an absolute hammer. The 257 WBY may be the best in the .25 arena, I’ve seen a lot of speed goals meet their demise to this cartridge and have always wanted one. Might buy one now that the guns are made in America now and not the people’s republic of California.
I’ve never messed with the 375 WM, and can’t remember the last time I saw ammo for sale besides in the Weatherby Factory in Sheridan, Wy a couple weeks ago. I guess my assumption was that blowing out a 375 H&H case to the weatherby double radius shoulder would result in poor case like and a large amount of split cases, but like I said that is an assumption and I have no experience with this cartridge. I have a 338-378 riding in the back seat keeping me and the 375 Ruger company right now so I’m not bashing anyone’s decision to shoot one, just stating my experience with the several that I have owned. Interested to know how fire forming the 375 case works.

Both are great calibers. I love my Ruger Alaskan. As mentioned it is hard to beat for wet and rough conditions. As a reloader I would go with the H&H. Brass is much easier to source for it vs the Ruger. Ruger brass has not been available as a component in over 3 years.

I agree with you on the cost of ammo for Weatherby rifle, it has always been double the cost of other manufacturers. They learned a long time ago that if they loaded it with "premium " bullets that they could charge a arm and a leg.

I've only shot 2 boxes of Weatherby ammo through my. 340 before I started to load my own for it. What they are charging $150 for I can load for less than 1/3 of that cost.

Very good information!
Thanks
I just made a typo:
"375 H&H will require medium action."

I wanted to say:
"375 Ruger will require medium action."

I'm nor surprised by all the responses.

Edge in performance goes Ruger.

In my eyes, that is it's only win. Ammo for the H&H is more plentiful, has more options, will be found in more places and the biggest more rifles to choose from.

For people that reload, the Ruger would win that too. No belt to deal with.

Good luck on your quest.

I have no experience with the 375 Ruger, but one more thing I'd put in the plus column of the 375 H&H is one thing I haven't seen mentioned yet in this thread, and that's the amazing smooth, and sure feeding and extraction of the 375H&H.

Best regards,

I’d go HH, mostly because I have had my ammo lost on transit and the HH would have been much easier situation to deal with,…most ph’s have extra 375 hh ammo laying around

How do you like the Rugers?
I've always been a Ruger fan. I have the Ruger Hawkeye African, customized by Hill Country Rifles, as well as the Blaser R8 with a custom made .375 Ruger barrel.

In all seriousness, if you have good access to ammo, there is zero question the 375 ruger is better.

The two arguments people have brought up in thread have no relevance to you. They have said availability of ammo (you already said they have plenty in your area) and availability of gun (once you buy one, and I sourced three in a week) why would that matter at all?

It’s shorter, shoots faster with more pop. That’s all.

I've always been a Ruger fan. I have the Ruger Hawkeye African, customized by Hill Country Rifles, as well as the Blaser R8 with a custom made .375 Ruger barrel.
I have exact same combo with a ruger Alaskan too.

I have no experience with the 375 Ruger, but one more thing I'd put in the plus column of the 375 H&H is one thing I haven't seen mentioned yet in this thread, and that's the amazing smooth, and sure feeding and extraction of the 375H&H.

Best regards,
I have model 70 and ruger Hawkeye. My ruger has always cycled smoother. I think this is an urban legend for model 70 fanboys.

Even if true, repeated cycling would fix and then back to even, with 375 ruger giving better ballistics.

375 Ruger

ulvMFCT.jpg

375 H&H

yf2AYUK.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hunting_Podcast

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?