375 point of impact different bullet weights

I was at the range yesterday working with a 375 for an upcoming moose hunt. This particular gun likes heavy bullets (300's).

Zeroes at 200, shot to confirm at both 300 and 100.

After a lot of work, I was simply not comfortable at 300 with the scope at max magnification and no type of hold over reticle.

I would caution that changing bullet weights may/may not mean simply moving elevation. There can certainly be windage adjustments needed as well.

There is no way I would consider two different bullet weights unless I got lucky and they shot to the same POI.

KISS. The last thing you want going through your mind as you are setting up a shot is "I wonder if I have the correct zero dialed in"

Even though I personally never use any bullet weight other than 300Gr for .375 Holland & Holland Magnum, the 270Gr Barnes TSX will suit your needs very well for both Cape buffalo and hippopotamus.

To answer your orginal question. I reload the 260 Nosler Part. for my 375 using Re15. I also reload 300 gr Nosler Part. Using IMR 4350.
With a 2” high poi on the 260s my 300s poi is 4”+ low at 100. in my rifle.

To answer your orginal question. I reload the 260 Nosler Part. for my 375 using Re15. I also reload 300 gr Nosler Part. Using IMR 4350.
With a 2” high poi on the 260s my 300s poi is 4”+ low at 100. in my rifle.
Thank you. I was starting to regret making this thread. That answers my question. It’s unfortunately no different than the 250 gr Barnes compared to the 300 gr swifts. I won’t be buying a box to try now. Thanks for saving me a few dollars.

I was at the range yesterday working with a 375 for an upcoming moose hunt. This particular gun likes heavy bullets (300's).

Zeroes at 200, shot to confirm at both 300 and 100.

After a lot of work, I was simply not comfortable at 300 with the scope at max magnification and no type of hold over reticle.

I would caution that changing bullet weights may/may not mean simply moving elevation. There can certainly be windage adjustments needed as well.

There is no way I would consider two different bullet weights unless I got lucky and they shot to the same POI.

KISS. The last thing you want going through your mind as you are setting up a shot is "I wonder if I have the correct zero dialed in"
My 375 seems very forgiving. I’ve shot a lot of different rounds through it and surprisingly no left right adjustments with any 300 gr soft or 250 gr TTSX. Woodleigh hydro solids do go left hard for whatever reason although appear perfectly centered at 50 yards. Here are 6 different 300 gr bullets. This includes one very questionable box of federal 300 gr TBBC I bought from a classified ad. I need to run them through a chronograph because they shoot so low. That’s actually what caused me to shoot all these compare.
IMG_5881.jpeg

Just sight it in for the 260 accubonds when you get to new area? Might just spend an extra 15 mins shooting at the box. Not just the usual one shot check and go.

Just an idea.

I saw that. Looks like the distances are in meters and you're measuring drop in inches. On the TTSX, for example, if I use 185 yards as a zero, the arc indicated in your notes doesn 't comport with the calculator. But if I use 185 meters (202 yards), then the data line up nicely with a MV of ~2700 fps.

For the Woodleighs, if I assume an MV of 2450 and a 164 yard zero (your notes look like 150 meters), the calculator shows 19.4" of drop at 325 yards (just a little short of 300 meters). That lines up really closely with your field data.

The other thing is if you're shooting factory ammo, most of the mfgs overstate velocity by at least a little bit, sometimes by quite a lot, by 100 fps or more.

I've put a lot of my loads in front of a LabRadar, and the data I get from the measured MV and calculated BCs always line up really closely with what the Hornady calculator indicates what the arc should be.

If you're shooting factory loads, I'd be really curious what a chrony says about actual MV. Since the mfgs can't really fudge on the BCs (too many LabRadars and Garmins floating around to get away with that), they have to "fudge" somewhere. Most guys who shoot factory ammo will just assume the MV published on the box is accurate and go from there. And most guys who reload seldom shoot factory ammo. I haven't shot factory in almost 20 years.

I saw that. Looks like the distances are in meters and you're measuring drop in inches. On the TTSX, for example, if I use 185 yards as a zero, the arc indicated in your notes doesn 't comport with the calculator. But if I use 185 meters (202 yards), then the data line up nicely with a MV of ~2700 fps.

For the Woodleighs, if I assume an MV of 2450 and a 164 yard zero (your notes look like 150 meters), the calculator shows 19.4" of drop at 325 yards (just a little short of 300 meters). That lines up really closely with your field data.

The other thing is if you're shooting factory ammo, most of the mfgs overstate velocity by at least a little bit, sometimes by quite a lot, by 100 fps or more.

I've put a lot of my loads in front of a LabRadar, and the data I get from the measured MV and calculated BCs always line up really closely with what the Hornady calculator indicates what the arc should be.

If you're shooting factory loads, I'd be really curious what a chrony says about actual MV. Since the mfgs can't really fudge on the BCs (too many LabRadars and Garmins floating around to get away with that), they have to "fudge" somewhere. Most guys who shoot factory ammo will just assume the MV published on the box is accurate and go from there. And most guys who reload seldom shoot factory ammo. I haven't shot factory in almost 20 years.
The distances are in yards measured with a Leupold range finder. The bench unfortunately couldn’t be at 200 anymore due to various reasons. I did get my answer I was looking for in this thread. There is a 6” difference in point of impact at 100 with 260 gr accubond compared 300 gr grain Nosler partions. That’s close enough to swift A frames to answer my original question.

I unfortunately never learned to reload. I know I don’t have patience to learn now or enjoy shooting enough to justify it. I only shoot to practice for hunts. I do have an individual reload for me for certain calibers and bullets, but generally factory ammo is suitable for what I need.

Fair enough, then. I suspect your factory loads on the 300s probably are in the neighborhood of 2400 fps, maybe even 2375. My 286 gr A Frames at 2475 are a bit flatter than what you're getting.

If you know somebody with a chrony, it'd be worth it to put 4 or 5 bullets across it.

In all candor, I shouldn't haver brought 2 rifles on my safari last week. I used to work out ballistic tables by hand when I was younger, and memorized the arcs. I had a few moments of serious confusion/deep thinking on what my arc was, with 2 totally different cartridges. 3 or 4 seconds spent remembering my cartridge/load was the difference a couple times between putting the game in the salt and not shooting at all. It was all good, though, I ended up with a terrific zebra, even for all the minor confusions.

I'd absolutely just go with the A Frames and zero somewhere between 150 and 200.

My next safari will be 2 guns, but the 280AI is going to be for the missus, and I'll use my 9.3 for everything.

Fair enough, then. I suspect your factory loads on the 300s probably are in the neighborhood of 2400 fps, maybe even 2375. My 286 gr A Frames at 2475 are a bit flatter than what you're getting.

If you know somebody with a chrony, it'd be worth it to put 4 or 5 bullets across it.

In all candor, I shouldn't haver brought 2 rifles on my safari last week. I used to work out ballistic tables by hand when I was younger, and memorized the arcs. I had a few moments of serious confusion/deep thinking on what my arc was, with 2 totally different cartridges. 3 or 4 seconds spent remembering my cartridge/load was the difference a couple times between putting the game in the salt and not shooting at all. It was all good, though, I ended up with a terrific zebra, even for all the minor confusions.

I'd absolutely just go with the A Frames and zero somewhere between 150 and 200.

My next safari will be 2 guns, but the 280AI is going to be for the missus, and I'll use my 9.3 for everything.
When this hunt takes place it will be my 14th safari and 6th African country. Generally I’d agree with you. One rifle is all that’s needed. I’ve done a lot of 1 rifle safaris with my 375 and made some impressive shots. My farthest has been a warthog at 330 yards. My hunt last month was first I’ve taken two rifles and it was an inconvenience, but I felt the hunt justified it. A heavy rifle for elephant and a scoped 375 for everything else. Some hunts I think two rifles adds value most I think one rifle is all that’s needed. I only brought my 300 win to Namibia in March this year when several opportunities for problem animals came up I was wishing for my 375 as well. However, I made several shots between 300-350 that trip including a finishing shot on a kudu at 410 m that justified my choice of 300 win. Rental rifles were available for 375+ if needed. I think two rifles or maybe loads is a function of how long the hunt is and how many distinct areas you’ll visit during hunt and the species you’ll hunt. There will be hunts I take 2 rifles but one is generally a lot easier.

I’ve never stressed too much about trajectories. I just shoot to verify and use my best judgement in hunting situations from there, but I do see a major difference between bullet weights. I would like a chronograph at times. Particularly for the slow federal 300 gr load I posted above.

I would just shoot a 300g TTSX at everything and be done with it.

I need to run them through a chronograph because they shoot so low.
Let us know the result.
I doubt there will be significant difference in velocity.
In my opinion, it is all about barrel harmonics.

When I bought my 375 HH, I had RWS and PPU factory loads, 300 grains.
I zeroed at 100 meters for RWS, then when tried with PPU, PPU was printing 8 cm higher. (with similar velocities). Why?

There is a myth surrounding 375 H&H, a myth for which I was not able to find the source, or facts, but I saw this in several writings around, by few authors.

This is example from wikipedia, but number of authors kept repeating this without much explanation.

Unlike many other chamberings, .375 H&H Magnum rifles achieve nearly the same point of impact over a wide range of bullet weights at all commonly used distances. This simplifies a hunter's choice in selecting different bullet weights, based upon the game hunted, by requiring fewer scope or sight adjustments, which further serves to popularize the .375 H&H Magnum among professional hunters

No such text defined how the rifle was zeroed, and at what distance, or which ammo did it use.
This remains a mystery, there are no facts supporting this. So, it is a myth.

It could be though, that this statement was taken from some old Holland and Holland advertising catalogue from the time when they were making their proprietary ammunition, and made custom ammo for their rifles, and same zero for many weights sounds great and appealing to many users.

In reality this is doable with careful reloading, and zeroing at reasonable range 100 or 200 meters.

But with factory ammo and various factories will be harder to achieve.

In this dilemma, preparing for PG and buffalo safari, I would focus on single bullet like TTSX 270 grain, zeroed it at 200 meters, and used it for everything from close range till 300 m.

Let us know the result.
I doubt there will be significant difference in velocity.
In my opinion, it is all about barrel harmonics.

When I bought my 375 HH, I had RWS and PPU factory loads, 300 grains.
I zeroed at 100 meters for RWS, then when tried with PPU, PPU was printing 8 cm higher. (with similar velocities). Why?

There is a myth surrounding 375 H&H, a myth for which I was not able to find the source, or facts, but I saw this in several writings around, by few authors.

This is example from wikipedia, but number of authors kept repeating this without much explanation.

Unlike many other chamberings, .375 H&H Magnum rifles achieve nearly the same point of impact over a wide range of bullet weights at all commonly used distances. This simplifies a hunter's choice in selecting different bullet weights, based upon the game hunted, by requiring fewer scope or sight adjustments, which further serves to popularize the .375 H&H Magnum among professional hunters

No such text defined how the rifle was zeroed, and at what distance, or which ammo did it use.
This remains a mystery, there are no facts supporting this. So, it is a myth.

It could be though, that this statement was taken from some old Holland and Holland advertising catalogue from the time when they were making their proprietary ammunition, and made custom ammo for their rifles, and same zero for many weights sounds great and appealing to many users.

In reality this is doable with careful reloading, and zeroing at reasonable range 100 or 200 meters.

But with factory ammo and various factories will be harder to achieve.

In this dilemma, preparing for PG and buffalo safari, I would focus on single bullet like TTSX 270 grain, zeroed it at 200 meters, and used it for everything from close range till 300 m.
Interestingly the top bullet and bottom bullet in post #25 are both trophy bonded bear claws. The only explanation to me can be velocity.

I haven’t shot my Dad’s model 70 much but I know his rifle shoots 300 gr and 250 gr Barnes at similar spacing. His is 25” barrel. My rifle is a Sako 85 with 21” barrel.

my barrel is 24.
As additional note, same point of impact different weights will be easier to achieve with same factory ammo.

I am not recommending Hornady ammunition because I never tried it in 375, but it is interesting to see their DG line.
For example, DGS and DGX have same weight and same BC, and same velocity in factory loads.
This is what they were trying to achieve, same point of impact for different bullets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoesphZimm

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]