AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Zambia, Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Cameroon
I have a safari coming up next year where I’ll hunt two very different areas. Normally I’d have no problem using my 375 H&H with 300 gr bullets out to 300 yards, but I would like something flatter shooting for smaller antelope. Ideal scenario I’d like to use 300 gr swift A frames zeroed for 100 yards and 250 gr Barnes TTSX for longer shots in second area. However, the difference between the two is the 250 gr TTSXs shoot about 6” higher than the 300 gr lead core bullets at 100 yards. I am considering trying 260 gr Nosler accubonds to see if differences between lead core bullets is possibly less? If I could find something where the 300 gr bullets are zeroed at 100 and lighter bullets shoot 3” high that would be ideal. I don’t hand load so I was hoping to get some opinions if anyone has any relevant experience using different bullet weights or other bullet suggestions before spending unnecessary money. I’d really like to avoid bringing a second rifle or my R8 if possible.

Or go for a 2-scope option (with QD-mounts of course), one for the 300gr and another for the lighter bullets.

I use this for my 416… one scope for 450gr and another for the 300gr…

Or go for a 2-scope option (with QD-mounts of course), one for the 300gr and another for the lighter bullets.

I use this for my 416… one scope for 450gr and another for the 300gr…
I’ve become pretty set in my ways. I just don’t have confidence in quick detach scopes or ballistic dials. It’s a fair suggestion but I’m hoping to find a bullet combination that works. If I can’t I’ll bring a second rifle in 300 Win Mag.

A good optic with reliable and repeatable turret. Dial it down 3 MOA for the 250 grain and and done. Zero Stop preferable, but not absolutely necessary. Obviously the issue is remembering to dial it back up if needed.

Lghter bullets tend to go higher and right for me. More so if I push the velocity.

Grat advice so far. Grab a couple boxes of 270 grain Barnes, and zero your gun for 200 yards. you will maybe be an inch high at 100, 4 inches low at 300 and practice your ballistics out to 400 yards. Unless you are hunting the Eastern Cape for antelope, I can't imagine needing even 300 yards in Africa. If you are not hunting Buffalo, I would go with a smaller caliber like .300 win mag etc. You probably have a reason for wanting the .375. Enjoy!

Normally I’d have no problem using my 375 H&H with 300 gr bullets out to 300 yards,
So………….What seems to be the problem? :cool:

Sounds simple enough for me. 300 TSX is all I’ve ever carried.

It’s a buffalo/PG hunt but with a one or two day add on for specific PG including Thompson gazelle.
My last trip I took 300gr Barnes for buffalo and PG. I also took some Solids for 2nd shot on buffalo Nosler 270gr I believe I handloaded to shot 1"higher at 100 yards. 1 barnes and 1 solid was all it took for the buffalo. All other PG were taken with Barnes using my Blaser R8. No turrets, 2nd scope or barrel, and no BDC scope.

I have a safari coming up next year where I’ll hunt two very different areas. Normally I’d have no problem using my 375 H&H with 300 gr bullets out to 300 yards, but I would like something flatter shooting for smaller antelope. Ideal scenario I’d like to use 300 gr swift A frames zeroed for 100 yards and 250 gr Barnes TTSX for longer shots in second area. However, the difference between the two is the 250 gr TTSXs shoot about 6” higher than the 300 gr lead core bullets at 100 yards. I am considering trying 260 gr Nosler accubonds to see if differences between lead core bullets is possibly less? If I could find something where the 300 gr bullets are zeroed at 100 and lighter bullets shoot 3” high that would be ideal. I don’t hand load so I was hoping to get some opinions if anyone has any relevant experience using different bullet weights or other bullet suggestions before spending unnecessary money. I’d really like to avoid bringing a second rifle or my R8 if possible.
There is no practical difference in ballistic arc between a 300 gr A Frame at 2500 fps and a 250 gr TTSX at 2700 fps. Even if you could get the TTSX up to 2800 fps, it just doesn't move the needle to an appreciable degree.

With a 200 yard zero
A Frame is 2.6" high at 100, 10.5" low at 300

250 gr TTSX is 2" high at 100 yards, 8.2" low at 300 yards.

I expect you'll get somewhat better expansion with the TTSX at 300 yards than the A Frame, but probably not enough that anything but an eland might notice the difference.

Pick 1 or the other, zero at 175 or 200 yards and be done with it.

Grat advice so far. Grab a couple boxes of 270 grain Barnes, and zero your gun for 200 yards. you will maybe be an inch high at 100, 4 inches low at 300 and practice your ballistics out to 400 yards. Unless you are hunting the Eastern Cape for antelope, I can't imagine needing even 300 yards in Africa. If you are not hunting Buffalo, I would go with a smaller caliber like .300 win mag etc. You probably have a reason for wanting the .375. Enjoy!
I have not seen trajectories like that from a 375 H&H. That is more similar to my 300 Win Mag. I’ve shot a number of game between 250 and 350 yards in different parts of Africa including with my 375 but an eland or a kudu is a big target compared to a gazelle on a more dedicated add on hunt. Hoping to find a combination that could be reasonable for both areas without bringing a second rifle or resighting in.

Here’s my trajectories from range from different hunts I prepared for.
IMG_5878.png
IMG_5877.png
IMG_5875.png

There is no practical difference in ballistic arc between a 300 gr A Frame at 2500 fps and a 250 gr TTSX at 2700 fps. Even if you could get the TTSX up to 2800 fps, it just doesn't move the needle to an appreciable degree.

With a 200 yard zero
A Frame is 2.6" high at 100, 10.5" low at 300

250 gr TTSX is 2" high at 100 yards, 8.2" low at 300 yards.

I expect you'll get somewhat better expansion with the TTSX at 300 yards than the A Frame, but probably not enough that anything but an eland might notice the difference.

Pick 1 or the other, zero at 175 or 200 yards and be done with it.
See my last post. That hasn’t been my experience. I’m looking for a two bullet option for a specific hunt.

See my last post. That hasn’t been my experience. I’m looking for a two bullet option for a specific hunt.

KISS is important here. IMO, it's not worth the effort to keep track of the arc on 2 different loads for the same rifle. The energy difference between them is a complete wash, so you're only really dealing with different arcs; and assuming you use the same zero for both, there just isn't a practical difference between a 300 gr at 2500 and a 250 gr at 2700.

Whether you pick the 300 SAF or 250 TTSX, I absolutely wouldn't zero either 1 of them at 100 yards. For me, 150 yards would be the ideal for reaching out to 300.

Sorta makes a big difference, depending on what you're hunting. If you're hunting duiker/steenbok and eland, I can understand your desire for 2 loads. If you're hunting impala/blesbok and kudu, it just isn't worth the effort to bring 2 loads for your 375, at least not to me.

Have you asked your PH how likely you are to shoot at a Tommy beyond 300 yards? I expect he’ll tell you that you’re more likely to shoot it inside 200 yards than beyond. My own view is to keep it simple and shoot one bullet/load and practice as far as you expect to shoot. My son and I shoot 300 grain bullets in our 375’s, but the 270’s are also an excellent option.

However, if I was going to Masailand, I’d take along a light rifle like a 270. That’d be an excellent cartridge for any and all Masailand plains game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyRodr

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]