375 h&h long range accuracy?

My zebra was just inside of 300 yards. I would have no problem taking it further.

The only thing with the 375h&h is that 300gr bullet looses steam pretty quick. You are under 1500ftlbs @ 400 yards. For baboons no problem. If it were me I would rather something a little lighter in the recoil department for that kind of work.

My zebra was just inside of 300 yards. I would have no problem taking it further.

The only thing with the 375h&h is that 300gr bullet looses steam pretty quick. You are under 1500ftlbs @ 400 yards. For baboons no problem. If it were me I would rather something a little lighter in the recoil department for that kind of work.
It's not that I'm planning on that shot, I'd much rather use the 300. I just want to know that if we're out with the 375 and the 300 is back at the truck I don't have to pass shots just cause they're beyond 200 yards. Those little grey monkeys are fun to shoot too and that's an even smaller target when a 375 is all you've got onhand.

Just for grins I have had my pre 64 375 H&H out to 775 yards. It grouped right at a MOA.
it shoots very welll and the 2.5-10x32 NXS really gives it some reach. My load is 300 Aframe with RL17 in norma brass at 2610 fps.
1EFC6454-8197-4957-917A-34D44007B317.jpeg
I’m pretty sure it’s a keeper.

I switched to 250 gr Barnes a little while back on the advice from someone who has more experience than I ever will. He said that he used to be a traditionalist in his .375 as well, shooting 300 gr. Switched to these and has used five bullets to kill his last five buffalo. That was enough for me.

I tried some of his load and my gun loved it. Cloverleafing the first three shots. Walked out to 500 on steel in five shots with the help of a spotter that knows more about long range shooting than me. Surprisingly was a piece of cake (I don't shoot long range often). Longest shot on an animal I've taken with that gun was just under 200 yds. I'd be confident in that load if I had to reach out and touch something but would always prefer to get closer if possible.

I’m hoping to kill a black bear with it this year.
save the 416 Rigby for elk and the 458 Lott for buffalo. If I can convince myself not to use the 404 Jeffery on them all once it’s finished.

Question (for anyone) regarding the .375 H&H vs. .375 Ruger: Since the ballistics are near identical, or at least close, - does Ammo “availability” factor into it? I know that on my Travel Hunts I use “classic calibers” (.375 H&H and .30-06) for two reasons. 1). They have many years of proven performance. 2). Reasonable chance I can find extra ammo if needed (airline or Me loses my ammo)...I can either buy it locally or borrow a few rounds from Guide/PH/another Hunter in Camp etc.. I know I tend to “over think” things and plan for a lot of “what if’s”. Does this factor into anyone else’s thinking regarding caliber selection?

Question (for anyone) regarding the .375 H&H vs. .375 Ruger: Since the ballistics are near identical, or at least close, - does Ammo “availability” factor into it? I know that on my Travel Hunts I use “classic calibers” (.375 H&H and .30-06) for two reasons. 1). They have many years of proven performance. 2). Reasonable chance I can find extra ammo if needed (airline or Me loses my ammo)...I can either buy it locally or borrow a few rounds from Guide/PH/another Hunter in Camp etc.. I know I tend to “over think” things and plan for a lot of “what if’s”. Does this factor into anyone else’s thinking regarding caliber selection?
Yes sir it does in mine. Even down here in south GA where we have NO need of either caliber I've seen H&H on the shelves before but I've never seen 375 Ruger at all. The shorter action is appealing but not enough to make up for ammo availability imo. When talking to my outfitter last year about rifles he said go for the H&H strictly because of ammo.

Ditto on the Kimber Talkeetna. I have one and it shoots 260 Nosler part to less the moa at 100 yds. Using Re15. The wt is also great my only critic is mag is on the short side so oal needs to be on the money.

Yes sir it does in mine. Even down here in south GA where we have NO need of either caliber I've seen H&H on the shelves before but I've never seen 375 Ruger at all. The shorter action is appealing but not enough to make up for ammo availability imo. When talking to my outfitter last year about rifles he said go for the H&H strictly because of ammo.
Axle, I find that the older I get - the less objective I am and sound more and more like my Dad “what do you need that for”? Etc... A friend that I met 1990s (while living in Canada for 2 years) was 10 years older then me and staunch believer in old rifles, old shotguns, and classic calibers. He never argued “ballistics” but always stated “It doesn’t matter, it’s all about bullet placement” and also “New calibers are invented for one reason - to SELL guns, convince hunters they need to add a new rifle etc.. I’m not sure I agree with everything he said but seem to be leaning more towards his thoughts today then I would’ve 30 years ago. He was also an outstanding shot in All disciplines: Competitive handgun shooter, shot straight rounds at skeet or trap, fine wing shot on grouse, took B&C moose with .300 Savage open sights....he just loved old guns and preferred to hunt with them, for him the gun he used was more important then the trophy he took. I’m not quite that “classic” but I appreciate his point of view and lean closer to it today then I use to.

Just for grins I have had my pre 64 375 H&H out to 775 yards. It grouped right at a MOA.
it shoots very welll and the 2.5-10x32 NXS really gives it some reach. My load is 300 Aframe with RL17 in norma brass at 2610 fps.
View attachment 533907I’m pretty sure it’s a keeper.

Great group and great rifle!

Axle, I find that the older I get - the less objective I am and sound more and more like my Dad “what do you need that for”? Etc... A friend that I met 1990s (while living in Canada for 2 years) was 10 years older then me and staunch believer in old rifles, old shotguns, and classic calibers. He never argued “ballistics” but always stated “It doesn’t matter, it’s all about bullet placement” and also “New calibers are invented for one reason - to SELL guns, convince hunters they need to add a new rifle etc.. I’m not sure I agree with everything he said but seem to be leaning more towards his thoughts today then I would’ve 30 years ago. He was also an outstanding shot in All disciplines: Competitive handgun shooter, shot straight rounds at skeet or trap, fine wing shot on grouse, took B&C moose with .300 Savage open sights....he just loved old guns and preferred to hunt with them, for him the gun he used was more important then the trophy he took. I’m not quite that “classic” but I appreciate his point of view and lean closer to it today then I use to.
I'm right there with him on most of that too. I'm taking my dad on a bison hunt this fall and got him a gorgeous Browning 1885 45-70 just for this one hunt and I was planning to get myself one too but I'm really hung up on this 375 now. I just want to shoot the bison with the old rifle that was made for it. Idc at all for these new cartridges that everybody seems to be crazy over, I mean what's really so bad about long/magnum length rifles all of a sudden?! Seems like local gun stores try to give away 6.5 Needmore but you can't beg borrow or steal a new 375 or 338 or God forbid a 416. I don't NEED a 375 but have wanted one for years and now at least an Eland hunt gives me an excuse for one.

I’m hoping to kill a black bear with it this year.
save the 416 Rigby for elk and the 458 Lott for buffalo. If I can convince myself not to use the 404 Jeffery on them all once it’s finished.
.375 is good medicine for black bear! 260gr Nosler Partition. He crossed my path during elk season last year.
DAA8A6B9-8350-4E01-967D-043B03CFFE88.jpeg

What exactly do you want to shoot at such an extended range? I'm not judging. There are some really slick CEB bullets that can make the .375 into a wonderfully efficient cartridge at long ranges.

What exactly do you want to shoot at such an extended range? I'm not judging. There are some really slick CEB bullets that can make the .375 into a wonderfully efficient cartridge at long ranges.
I'm not planning to shoot at extended range I just want to know it's doable if the need does arise. From the sounds of these gentlemen the cartridge is certainly capable of it we do have a pretty bad feral hog problem here though so that's a possibility but my 300wm would of course be my first choice for that

I'm not planning to shoot at extended range I just want to know it's doable if the need does arise. From the sounds of these gentlemen the cartridge is certainly capable of it we do have a pretty bad feral hog problem here though so that's a possibility but my 300wm would of course be my first choice for that
I was just saying that a well built or regulated .375 H&H is quite remarkable especially if you turn up the velocity and let it shine with some slick bullets. "Mark and Sam after work" did some great work on their YouTube channel with an H&H.

I have no experience at long range as far as the cartridge 375 H&H Magnum is concerned, but for that with the cartridge 9,3x64, a cartridge that is very comparable to the cartridge 375 H&H Magnum in terms of ballistics.

I shot several Maral deers at distances up to 400 Yards with the cartridge 9,3x64 and the 19g TUG bullet. Sure, you have to compensate some things in terms of external ballistics, but with heavy bullets, such cartridges are also suitable for long-range shooting at medium to heavy game.

1992, North of Mongolia.
Scan 14.jpeg

I have no experience at long range as far as the cartridge 375 H&H Magnum is concerned, but for that with the cartridge 9,3x64, a cartridge that is very comparable to the cartridge 375 H&H Magnum in terms of ballistics.

I shot several Maral deers at distances up to 400 Yards with the cartridge 9,3x64 and the 19g TUG bullet. Sure, you have to compensate some things in terms of external ballistics, but with heavy bullets, such cartridges are also suitable for long-range shooting at medium to heavy game.

1992, North of Mongolia.
View attachment 534145
Man that thing is gorgeous! I may have to go to Mongolia one day

I was just saying that a well built or regulated .375 H&H is quite remarkable especially if you turn up the velocity and let it shine with some slick bullets. "Mark and Sam after work" did some great work on their YouTube channel with an H&H.
Dude Mark and Sam are unbelievable aren't they! The stuff than man shoots is amazing but it shows just what a dedicated marksman is capable of

I am headed over May 20, 2023. I shot last weekend with a browning a bolt 375 H and H. on the range I shot 250 grain bullets at 125 and 300 yards. I have a simplistic VX 2 3x9x40 with only crosshairs. the rifle shot 8 of 8 at 300 yards on 4 inch gongs with no holdover type system. For me and my practice, that is my outer range, but I see no reason it can't be a long range baboon gun with enough practice.
I am considering the same rifle in Syntetic wirh 26" factory barrel and all SS..How do you like it? Any quirks? Feeding is good?
(I don't care for that long barrel so may cut back aome) Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrillNe

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]