.375 h&h for whitetails

I used a 260gr Partition to good effect on a 200+ lb Texas pig. Hit her two out of three shots as she ran across at about 100 yards. The one through her shoulders stopped her with authority.
IMG_3531.jpeg

300 gr PPU sp at 2400 fps works rather well be it H and H or Ruger. Very little meat damage.

I bought a bunch of 270gr sprp when I first bought the caliber I need to use up. The cases are worth more than the ammo. Pushes at about 2650

I have no idea why anyone would hunt deer with a .375.
375 H&H for whitetail, now I've heard it all.

.375,9,3, .35, heavy for caliber at a moderate velocity doesn’t blow big holes nor cause a lot of blood shot meat. Looking in through the exit wound you can see the entrance wound. Nothing torn up at all.
IMG_5854.jpeg

Actually, the .375 doesn't tear up meat as some calibers do. It destroys very little meat especially if normal bullets are used like 270 & 300 grain bullets.
Then there's the factor of using the rifle you'll use on really big game. A person once asked me why I was using a .375, I told him with it, angles don't matter. If a monster elk got up with the .375 I wouldn't have to pass up a shot because of a poor angle. Aim for where you want the bullet to go & it'll get there. I have actually experienced this on an elk 200yds away & quartering away from me.

My dad had a friend (that owned a gun shop) and he shot everything with a 375. That’s too much recoil for hunting white-tail to me., but to each his own.

That said, I’ve shot everything in Africa with a 375, except a blue duiker. More recoil than necessary, but you never know when you will need the extra horsepower.

Just bought a rifle in 7x64. Still waiting for the documents and registration but until now only used my 375. Used it mainly for roe deer. Plus point is that I am used to the rifle and that is needed when hunting DG. No getting used to the rifle for me.

No points lost for making them DRT or shortening the tracking job by using a 375.

IMG_1579.jpeg
IMG_1578.jpeg
IMG_0256.jpeg
I take a deer or two every year will my 375Ruger, usually a neck shot because the 250gr CX will leave a lot of meat damage on a shoulder, good practice Imo
my buddy thanks I am crazy, but his 375 is a safe queen unfortunately
Forgot we hunt nilgai and Sambar deer also while we deer hunt so I think 375 & 35whelen are appropriate for a general purpose deer rifle

I used my 375 on an 8pt whitetail buck in WV last year. I used the 250g federal ammo loaded with the trophy bonded bear claw. It was running about 2750 fps if I remember correctly. I had the rifle topped with a nice little Leupold 1.5-4x LPVO. The 375 is too much gun for deer but I had reason to use it. I was getting familiarized with the rifle for an up coming trip to SA and wanted to get some real life trigger time on the rifle before the trip. Glad I did it. The ammo worked great but after that hunt, I replaced the scope with a Swarovski Z6i with the illuminated reticle for use in low light, deep woods, etc. I had trouble with the little Leupold since the shot was only about 15 min after legal shooting light and I had trouble seeing my reticle under those conditions. The deer dropped in its tracks. The Bearclaw seemed to expand so slowly that it did only minimal damage to the deer. If I had it to do over, would use the 300g Barnes TSX or the Swift A-Frame 300's that I will be hunting with in SA.

Rifle is a FN Browning Hi-Power Safari Grade.

WV Deer 2023.jpg
WVDeer 2023.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elise15I75

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles