.375 h&h for whitetails

I have taken Muntjac deer in the UK with my 375. Same load as I use in Africa on PG 250 grn SGK knocks them over rather well

It's complicated - each state sets their own policy and for different reasons. Some shotgun/muzzleloader/straight wall cartridges are for safety and some are for limiting the rifle slaughter. Bow season typically starts early and ends late because success rate and interest is low. Muzzleloader is typically after the rut because states want to time rifle season for the rut to ensure interest, tag sales, and success.

Imo, it's mainly a continuation of policies set 50 years ago. Old traditions take a long time to change - I think Virginia still has no hunting on Sunday

There is still no hunting permitted here on Sundays it's also still illegal to play cards on Sunday in Nova Scotia. ( or was when I was taking law as an elective in highschool)

I don't have a .375 H&H (want one though) but I do hunt deer with my .416 Rigby. As long as it is legal where you are, use it! You get a chance to play with you rifle and put some meat on the table. Years ago my uncle used his .375 H&H on everything but squirrel, but I can't remember what loads he used. Do know that it was very much a reduced load, about equal to a .375 Winchester.

It's complicated - each state sets their own policy and for different reasons. Some shotgun/muzzleloader/straight wall cartridges are for safety and some are for limiting the rifle slaughter. Bow season typically starts early and ends late because success rate and interest is low. Muzzleloader is typically after the rut because states want to time rifle season for the rut to ensure interest, tag sales, and success.

Imo, it's mainly a continuation of policies set 50 years ago. Old traditions take a long time to change - I think Virginia still has no hunting on Sunday
Maine does not allow Sunday hunting

I took my first Whitetail deer with a CZ 550 in 375 H&H. Load was a cast bullet 38-55 load from the Lyman manual. IIRC, it was a 265 grain, gas checked bullet. Powder was H 4198. Muzzle velocity would have been around 1900 fps or so. Very gentle on the shooter. Dropped that Kentucky doe at a distance of 12 yards. Took out the top of the heart and dropped her in her tracks. There was no evidence of bullet expansion. Only meat lost was the caliber diameter entrance and exit holes.

I bought the rifle with Africa in mind, but my plans fell through. It worked well as a deer rifle. It will be my backup rifle for elk this fall. Especially since the CZ 550 Magnum is going out of production, I am glad that I own one. It is among my favorites.

The versatility of the 375 H&H cannot be overstated. It responds well to being downloaded. Along with its reputation on plains game and dangerous game in Africa, it is a match for any big game in NA. Just match your bullet to the type of hunting you plan to do. With modern optics, bullets, and powders, the Old Classic is capable of a LOT more than most people realize.

good morning gentleman, I was wondering if anyone uses there .375 on whitetails and If so which load they use.
I'd also be interested in anyones experience with other North American game and the .375 load ect.

Thank you all for shareing your experience.
I have shot about 8 or so whitetail with mine using core locks and I have to say it worked quite well.

I’ve taken a few Whitetail with my .375 Ruger mostly in prep for Safari. Just plan to shoot behind the shoulder on broadside shots only and all will be well.
Philip

In preperation for my friend @JHT 's leopard hunt,we shot trapped wild hogs with various 375 bullets.

We tested TSX bullets in 235 grain and 300 grain as well as 300 grain TBBCs.

All of them expanded,exited and killed quickly on hogs from 50 to 175 pounds.

Hard to pick a bullet that won't work on deer in a 375.

In a 4 year old thread, I will say I’ve shot several Blacktail deer with a .375, mostly with the old Hornaday 270gr RN over a fairly healthy charge of WW760. That load averaged just under 2700fps. I never recovered a bullet, & one was facing me at 70yds, impact was just below the chin on the chest, exit just in front of the hip.
One cow elk at 200yds trotting, quartering away, entrance just behind the last rib, exit just behind of the off shoulder. The load was the original Barns X 270gr bullet & ww760, just under 2700fps.
I’ve also taken numerous ground squirrels with various loads. It’s a very effective ctg.

I've killed two whitetail deer with my .375 H&H. I usually hunt with a .270, but I had recently sighted in my only "African caliber" rifle, found it to be very accurate, and just wanted to try it on deer. Both deer were hit with 300 grain A-Frame bullets from factory loads (Federal or Remington). Very quick kills, but the A-Frames really did less damage than the 130 grain Federal factory loads from my .270. I guess the A-Frame projectiles were pretty much through the deer before they decided they needed to expand. I've used the 375 for 3 cape buffalo so far and a bunch of African plains game, and it has done fine there too, but it was interesting to try it on my own "back forty" for deer. A well-constructed, bonded 300-grain 375 seems to be able to do most things pretty well.

154 gr mono for a 375 H&H?
yep, drive band bullets, I have the same for 416Rigby 255gr by GS bullets at 3300 fps and for 9.3, 155 gr at 3200 fps from 9.3x62 and 3600 fps froma 9.3x375 Ruger wildcat. great deer bullets ( and moose, blackbear etc)

Where do you buy GS custom bullets?

Looking for a light weight bullet to use in my 9.3x62.

Currently using a 250 grain TSX at 2700 fps but a lighter bullet would have less recoil and a flatter trajectory at normal hunting range.

300Gr Federal Power Shok factory loads will do the trick.

I've killed two whitetail deer with my .375 H&H. I usually hunt with a .270, but I had recently sighted in my only "African caliber" rifle, found it to be very accurate, and just wanted to try it on deer. Both deer were hit with 300 grain A-Frame bullets from factory loads (Federal or Remington). Very quick kills, but the A-Frames really did less damage than the 130 grain Federal factory loads from my .270.
I have similar finding about the .375. if you want a softer bullet load the 300 grain Sierra Game Kings. They'll expand a tad and still not spoil your meat. Also a BC of .4ish if you want to reach out further.
A well-constructed, bonded 300-grain 375 seems to be able to do most things pretty well.
Truer words...it's hard to leave it behind when going on a hunt, but sometimes I just can't justify all that energy.

I've had great success on deer using 200 bullets made for the .375 Winchester and 45 grains of 5744 and a large rifle primer. Regular loads also kill them dead.

Good to about 5744. I have used it in a smokeless muzzleloader.

Thanks

I take a deer or two every year will my 375Ruger, usually a neck shot because the 250gr CX will leave a lot of meat damage on a shoulder, good practice Imo
my buddy thanks I am crazy, but his 375 is a safe queen unfortunately

Last edited:
I load light .375 H&H loads using 200gn Sierra soft points (designed for .375 Winchester use). They work well for white tail deer. Any other .375 H&H load also works well on white tail deer!

My light load is a premium 300gr controlled expansion Rhino solid shank bullet......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FEJ

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]