375 H&H DGX Performance on Whitetail?

CP392

Reaction score
Hello all!

Long time lurker, first time poster. Tons of great info here but I can't find anything on my specific question. I recently bought a Model 70 Safari Express in 375 H&H and topped it with a Leica Amplus 1-6x24. Having never hunted with a 375 before, my knowledge of it's capabilities and limitations is nil aside from what I have read on this forum.

I want to take it out this year for a whitetail hunt or two to become familiar with the rifle. Which leads to my question, how will factory loaded Hornady DGX 300gr perform on deer? Unfortunately, I do not handload and the DGX is readily avaliable. I'm assuming the heavy bullet construction will penetrate through without much expansion or excessive damage but would like to pick your expert brains for real world experience or possibly a better suited alternative.

Good day,
I have not hunted with that specific combo, but I have hunted with a 375, and with dgx in other calibers.
You will absolutely not have a problem. Dgx are fairly blunt, and blunt bullets tend to wallop a lot harder than many of the high BC bullets that are common in whitetail hunting. So use this load without fear.
The only issue which will exist, is the lower start velocity 2500~ish combined with a low BC bullet will limit the length of your shots a bit. But for 250~ish and under you should not have a problem. Because they are whitetail, and that's a 375...

Good day,
I have not hunted with that specific combo, but I have hunted with a 375, and with dgx in other calibers.
You will absolutely not have a problem. Dgx are fairly blunt, and blunt bullets tend to wallop a lot harder than many of the high BC bullets that are common in whitetail hunting. So use this load without fear.
The only issue which will exist, is the lower start velocity 2500~ish combined with a low BC bullet will limit the length of your shots a bit. But for 250~ish and under you should not have a problem. Because they are whitetail, and that's a 375...

I haven’t used the DGX on whitetail but I agree with this assessment, especially with the aforementioned limitations on range and shot placement.
If you compare the meplat with, say, a what a .243 expands to, I’d call it similar tissue damage, albeit not entirely on the opposite side.

Just know your ballistics FOR YOUR GUN not just what is says on the box. and yes, under 250 yards you should be just fine. Make sure there's not another deer standing behind the one you want or you might get a "2 fer". Good luck this season!

Good day,
That has been my assumption, and I'm glad you confirmed it! As for the range, I currently have the rifle sighted in 2 inches high at 100 yards. That should give me no more than 3 inches above or below point of aim out to about 225. I'm waiting to use my buddy's chronograph to get real numbers and then confirm on a longer range. To date, the furthest I have shot it has been 100 yards.

That has been my assumption, and I'm glad you confirmed it! As for the range, I currently have the rifle sighted in 2 inches high at 100 yards. That should give me no more than 3 inches above or below point of aim out to about 225. I'm waiting to use my buddy's chronograph to get real numbers and then confirm on a longer range. To date, the furthest I have shot it has been 100 yards.

Your trajectory verification is a sound plan. I’ll also add for future reference that you’ve said you’re shooting FACTORY ammunition and not soft charging DGX projectiles in hand loads—this would adversely affect not just terminal performance but perhaps more importantly wind drift at 200+ yards. Wind can be a significant factor depending on your region/conditions.

I intentionally hunted all of the previous deer season with my .300win to prep for Zimbabwe incase I got my tuskless early and glad I did.

This season I’ll be taking my .375 BRNO and using 270gr Federal blue box SP to build up a base of loading brass.

I will be aiming for the front shoulder though, even if the bullet doesn’t expand you have limited mobility and sent bone shrapnel flying in the chest cavity.

IMO - A DGX will not expand enough for reliable performance on a whitetail. It will certainly kill one however, but it is not optimal.

Buy the cheapest "cup and core" bullets you can find and have at it!.

Old 270g factory loads, like Winchester "Silvertips" on gunbroker, would be fine.

You can find adequate "old stock" factory ammo for less than $40/box, if you look around.

I’m hunting my 375 ruger but am shooting the 270gr sp-rp , I don’t know anything about the DGX on deer , the 250 CX is good out to 300 meters @ +2 inches 100y

Winchester mod 70 classic super express and 300grain hornady DGX put this big red stag on the ground without any issues. POI was a bit behind the POI but it went through both lungs.

89520ABF-21C2-4155-9201-B67AFD76BF3C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
A .375 H&H 300gr DGX will do just fine on whitetail. Among the plains game I’ve taken are bushbuck and impala. They will exit though.

You will be fine. This is actually a very commendable method of familiarizing yourself with a potential dangerous game rifle. Remember to zero in your rifle for it's maximum point blank range.

I have used the DGX bonded on swedish moose with my double rifle in .375 Flanged Magnum without any problems, I assume they are larger then a white tail so it should work as good or even better.

The upside is tracking the animal should be much easier.

Downside is meat damage. I really liked the shoulder, neck and rib meat for stew and chili. This bullet has the potential to create a lot of bloodshot meat.

I’d rather use a more appropriate cartridge for whitetail, but there are no point deductions for making them more dead. Best of luck with it and post your results.

The DGX isn't a solid as some have stated by a bonded bullet. Really just a high performance Core-lock. I would hesitate to use it and look forward to your followup post in Nov!

It will certainly do the job. Just a little much for WT Deer. If you want to hunt WT with your .375 I would go with a 235 grain soft bullet.

Welcome to AH. I’ve never used that bullet, but as @Just a dude in BC stated, the blunt bullet coupled with the thicker jacket, should hammer whitetails out to 250+yds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TodCrayton

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?