375 H&H DGX Performance on Whitetail?

It will certainly do the job. Just a little much for WT Deer. If you want to hunt WT with your .375 I would go with a 235 grain soft bullet.
This is the dilemma I'm having. A heavier weight, heavier constructed bullet should expand less, therefore causing less damage. More of a clean channel cut through the target. Where as a lighter bullet, both in weight and construction coupled with the higher velocity, in theory would cause more trauma and excessive damage. This is really the root of my original question. I was concerned that the DGX would not expand enough and "ice pick" through a deer and not be as quick and clean. I'm sure I am overthinking it but that's my concern. I just want quick, clean, ethical kills.
 
This is the dilemma I'm having. A heavier weight, heavier constructed bullet should expand less, therefore causing less damage. More of a clean channel cut through the target. Where as a lighter bullet, both in weight and construction coupled with the higher velocity, in theory would cause more trauma and excessive damage. This is really the root of my original question. I was concerned that the DGX would not expand enough and "ice pick" through a deer and not be as quick and clean. I'm sure I am overthinking it but that's my concern. I just want quick, clean, ethical kills.

I have shot several wt with heavier bullets in .375. It hits hard and drops em like a rock. As you are thinking, way less meat damage than the typical deer cartridge. Go have fun!
 
At a .375 rifle power level and above, my focus is to place that first shot correctly. The performance of a Hornady DGX, Swift A-Frame, or Nosler Partition is secondary to that first correct shot.
 
At a .375 rifle power level and above, my focus is to place that first shot correctly. The performance of a Hornady DGX, Swift A-Frame, or Nosler Partition is secondary to that first correct shot.
On a whitetail...sure. Raise the stakes to DG and the bullet used plays a much bigger role. And I'm not one to change my load on a particular rifle to suit the game, I'd rather change rifles and use a different cartridge altogether.
 
Last edited:
This is the dilemma I'm having. A heavier weight, heavier constructed bullet should expand less, therefore causing less damage. More of a clean channel cut through the target. Where as a lighter bullet, both in weight and construction coupled with the higher velocity, in theory would cause more trauma and excessive damage. This is really the root of my original question. I was concerned that the DGX would not expand enough and "ice pick" through a deer and not be as quick and clean. I'm sure I am overthinking it but that's my concern. I just want quick, clean, ethical kills.
Your thinking is correct. We eat the whitetail we shoot, we don't sell the scraps to the biltong butcher. I helped my buddy pull the skin off a mule deer he shot with 45-70. Big hole in, big hole out, and almost no bloodshot. Very clean. Stick with 300 gr and modest speed and you should do fine. Whitetail are hardly plains game. I have shot a ton of them and none further than seventy yards. But I don't sit on a sofa in a tree house overlooking a bean field. I presume you are talking about hunting deer, not just shooting them.

I can't remember when I last shot a deer with my 30-06 without an exit wound. I just presumed deer rifles were supposed to do that.
 
I shot a big whitetail buck with my 450-400 3” and it made quite the impressive wound channel. Blood was shooting out both sides of the deer. Cant imagine a 375 being not at least as good.
 
Have used that bullet on a Cape Buffalo and it passed length wise on a frontal shot at beginning of charge YES you will get a pass through so watch what is behind your point of aim
 
I just bought a Blaser R8 and will be using the 375 barrel with 260 accubond on WT this year. Ballistically very similar to 30-06 with 180 grain. Expect good results.
 
Getting to understand how one bullet behave under several circumstances is a good thing .

Example , over here some guys used 6,5x55 and 140 Amax bought by bucketloads for all kind of match , lrs and hunting in several countries for years .
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,337
Messages
1,573,264
Members
169,730
Latest member
loylisadre1982
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top