375 H&H DGX Performance on Whitetail?

CP392

Reaction score
Hello all!

Long time lurker, first time poster. Tons of great info here but I can't find anything on my specific question. I recently bought a Model 70 Safari Express in 375 H&H and topped it with a Leica Amplus 1-6x24. Having never hunted with a 375 before, my knowledge of it's capabilities and limitations is nil aside from what I have read on this forum.

I want to take it out this year for a whitetail hunt or two to become familiar with the rifle. Which leads to my question, how will factory loaded Hornady DGX 300gr perform on deer? Unfortunately, I do not handload and the DGX is readily avaliable. I'm assuming the heavy bullet construction will penetrate through without much expansion or excessive damage but would like to pick your expert brains for real world experience or possibly a better suited alternative.

Good day,
I have not hunted with that specific combo, but I have hunted with a 375, and with dgx in other calibers.
You will absolutely not have a problem. Dgx are fairly blunt, and blunt bullets tend to wallop a lot harder than many of the high BC bullets that are common in whitetail hunting. So use this load without fear.
The only issue which will exist, is the lower start velocity 2500~ish combined with a low BC bullet will limit the length of your shots a bit. But for 250~ish and under you should not have a problem. Because they are whitetail, and that's a 375...

Good day,
I have not hunted with that specific combo, but I have hunted with a 375, and with dgx in other calibers.
You will absolutely not have a problem. Dgx are fairly blunt, and blunt bullets tend to wallop a lot harder than many of the high BC bullets that are common in whitetail hunting. So use this load without fear.
The only issue which will exist, is the lower start velocity 2500~ish combined with a low BC bullet will limit the length of your shots a bit. But for 250~ish and under you should not have a problem. Because they are whitetail, and that's a 375...

I haven’t used the DGX on whitetail but I agree with this assessment, especially with the aforementioned limitations on range and shot placement.
If you compare the meplat with, say, a what a .243 expands to, I’d call it similar tissue damage, albeit not entirely on the opposite side.

Just know your ballistics FOR YOUR GUN not just what is says on the box. and yes, under 250 yards you should be just fine. Make sure there's not another deer standing behind the one you want or you might get a "2 fer". Good luck this season!

Good day,
That has been my assumption, and I'm glad you confirmed it! As for the range, I currently have the rifle sighted in 2 inches high at 100 yards. That should give me no more than 3 inches above or below point of aim out to about 225. I'm waiting to use my buddy's chronograph to get real numbers and then confirm on a longer range. To date, the furthest I have shot it has been 100 yards.

That has been my assumption, and I'm glad you confirmed it! As for the range, I currently have the rifle sighted in 2 inches high at 100 yards. That should give me no more than 3 inches above or below point of aim out to about 225. I'm waiting to use my buddy's chronograph to get real numbers and then confirm on a longer range. To date, the furthest I have shot it has been 100 yards.

Your trajectory verification is a sound plan. I’ll also add for future reference that you’ve said you’re shooting FACTORY ammunition and not soft charging DGX projectiles in hand loads—this would adversely affect not just terminal performance but perhaps more importantly wind drift at 200+ yards. Wind can be a significant factor depending on your region/conditions.

I mean how much performance you think you are going to need??

You could kill a whitetail with solids.

Great idea on hunting deer with your Africa rifle. I’ve been known to chase deer with my double.

Good plan to practice with the Africa gun.

You will get an exit from every angle you shoot from, including if you have to pass through a small tree first.

I intentionally hunted all of the previous deer season with my .300win to prep for Zimbabwe incase I got my tuskless early and glad I did.

This season I’ll be taking my .375 BRNO and using 270gr Federal blue box SP to build up a base of loading brass.

I will be aiming for the front shoulder though, even if the bullet doesn’t expand you have limited mobility and sent bone shrapnel flying in the chest cavity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rweewwg

Latest profile posts

thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?
1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe