Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Armstrong Fish and Game Club
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, British Colombia Ca.
IMG_1362.JPG
I just received my new Winchester Supergrade M70 in 30-06, which is going to be rebarreled to 35 Whelen. Taking it to Dave Jennings (gunsmith) in Pritchard BC today. Should I have it chambered in standard 35W or in 35W AI?

I vote for the standard as well. The AI version might give you a few extra FPS but not enough to be meaningful.
On our first safari both of my sons and I used standard 35 Whelen(s). I also took mine on the second trip.

I say do what you would like. If you are intrigued with the AI then go for it.

But the question is do you reload? If so then the AI may be better from the reloaders point of view. One nice thing about the AI is that you can shoot standard 35 Whelen factory ammo through it if you don't have any ammo loaded up.

Standard. If the current caliber isn't enough gun then the Ackley Improvement and the potential for a little more velocity isn't going to suddenly make it enough gun. Top of the scale velocity for any given caliber/bullet usually doesn't yield the best accuracy even though it will slightly flatten the trajectory. Obviously that's not a true statement for every rifle but what if your particular rifle prefers a lower velocity than absolute max what have you accomplished by converting to AI? I suppose when it works as advertised it's a slight improvement but at what cost? Faster barrel wear, more recoil, more muzzle blast, uses more powder, etc. I wouldn't do it to any rifle I own. YMMV.

I agree that if you're getting a 35 Whelen, then go with standard. If you want a little more oomph - then perhaps get a 9.3x62 instead. A hell of a lot easier finding ammo in most parts of the world at least. For North America, I don't know. If you handload, and don't plan on travelling, then it probably doesn't matter.

View attachment 343555 I just received my new Winchester Supergrade M70 in 30-06, which is going to be rebarreled to 35 Whelen. Taking it to Dave Jennings (gunsmith) in Pritchard BC today. Should I have it chambered in standard 35W or in 35W AI?
Rick Cox
Having had and used both standard and AI I have to say the STANDARD WHELEN is the way to go. The lack of shoulder on the STANDARD for headspacing is utter bullsh##, if good reloading practice is followed.
To me it's not worth the effort of fireforming the cases and using 6 to 8 grains more powder to get the same velocity. Nosler and Speer list some very potent loads for the Whelen with 225 and 250 grain bullets. Try CFE223 and you will be amazed at the velocity and groups you get.
I went for a 25 inch 1 in 12 twist stainless barrel for my Whelen.
Cheers mate Bob
20200201_135545.jpg

Or? .338-06? Either one is a good choice. I agree with Bob Nelson 35 Whelen not to bother with the AI? Not much advantage? Anything wildcatted off the ‘06 case is fine by me!

Rick Cox
Having had and used both standard and AI I have to say the STANDARD WHELEN is the way to go. The lack of shoulder on the STANDARD for headspacing is utter bullsh##, if good reloading practice is followed.
To me it's not worth the effort of fireforming the cases and using 6 to 8 grains more powder to get the same velocity. Nosler and Speer list some very potent loads for the Whelen with 225 and 250 grain bullets. Try CFE223 and you will be amazed at the velocity and groups you get.
Cheers mate Bob View attachment 343594
Thanks Bob. I was waiting for you to weigh in. I wanted to go with 25" but the barrel my gunsmith has in stock is 24" so that is what it is. 1/12 twist. Components of this sort are hard to get here in Canada from the States, duties, laws, paranoia etc. He is getting most of his barrels from Germany now. He tells me it takes 6-12 months to get a barrel from the US.
At any rate, I'll stick to regular 35W. And I'll try the CFE223 loads again. Last time it didn't work so well.

I say do what you would like. If you are intrigued with the AI then go for it.

But the question is do you reload? If so then the AI may be better from the reloaders point of view. One nice thing about the AI is that you can shoot standard 35 Whelen factory ammo through it if you don't have any ammo loaded up.
Yes I reload.

Thanks Bob. I was waiting for you to weigh in. I wanted to go with 25" but the barrel my gunsmith has in stock is 24" so that is what it is. 1/12 twist. Components of this sort are hard to get here in Canada from the States, duties, laws, paranoia etc. He is getting most of his barrels from Germany now. He tells me it takes 6-12 months to get a barrel from the US.
At any rate, I'll stick to regular 35W. And I'll try the CFE223 loads again. Last time it didn't work so well.
I like the longer barrels too! But 24” isn’t bad. I prefer 25”-26” barrels. My Whitworth .416 Taylor has a 22” barrel which I wish was a 24”, but the price was right for the rifle. Good luck on your choice!

Rick Cox

Bob, I realize you're in the land downunder, but isn't this photo taking that matter a bit too far? LOL!

I have 2 AIs and would not have the standard.
Actually, I think in certain calibers the AI is a great choice. My father in law has a 6mm AI. P.O. Ackley was a brilliant gunsmith, machinist and wildcatter. But, I believe as calibers go up in size, maybe the velocity benefit isn’t as beneficial? But, as always, to each their own?

I don't have a 35 Whelen std or AI; but I have shot a 338/06 AI. At the time neither were standard cartridges so case forming/handloading was required. I like the looks of the AI so that was what I got. If the 35 Whelen was still a wildcat, I'd probably go for the AI, but since the standard is available from the factory, I'd lean toward it, even though I like the improved case better.

AI’s also provide longer case life and same velocities at lower pressure. Most of the AI’s only provide a small increase in velocity. I like the improved chamberings, just not enough to own one.

That does look like Supergrade wood there. It should make for a really nice gun. Hope you enjoy your new toy!

Rick Cox
Love the longer barrel! Reach out and touch something !

Rick Cox
PM me mate to see why cfe223 didn't work.
What's your overall loaded cartridge length with the accubonds.
Cheers mate Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joie026513

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.