35Whelen - to AI or not to AI?

Bob, I realize you're in the land downunder, but isn't this photo taking that matter a bit too far? LOL!
ILCAPO
Mate I'm still a techno fobe and haven't worked out how to turn them around.. just turns your phone upside down in the meantime.
Cheers mate Bob

AI’s also provide longer case life and same velocities at lower pressure. Most of the AI’s only provide a small increase in velocity. I like the improved chamberings, just not enough to own one.

That does look like Supergrade wood there. It should make for a really nice gun. Hope you enjoy your new toy!
Standard Velocity
I found I needed up to 6 grains more powder in the AI to get the same velocity even with standard loads. If I loaded the AI with the same powder charge as the Whelen I might as well been using a,35 Remington.
Cheers mate Bob

OR, open the bolt face up a bit and re chamber to .358 Norma Mag. No need for an AI! Ha! Ha! Actually, I’m intrigued by this chambering?

I've had three .35 Whelens, each did everything I could expect with a standard chamber. I personally wouldn't want the AI version.

Bob, I realize you're in the land downunder, but isn't this photo taking that matter a bit too far? LOL!
Thats normal down here. Thats why the Vegemite is thick so it doesnt gloop out. You could use it in space. I bet you have right hand twists in your barrels then,

Standard Velocity
Varget/2208, Hogdon 4895, bench mark 2, Hogdon 8208 and reloader 15 until i discovered CFE223.
Bob
Just curious, but why all these different numbers for the same powder! Why are they different for other countries? I mean, what is H 8208 or CFE 223?

My favorite Whelen is worn out now....so I will be rebarelling it. I make a lot of loaded rounds out of soft thick old military brass, and the Whelen doesn't have much of a shoulder on it. My friend's AI head spaces tight and sharp, and I must admit....I like the looks of his ammo better than mine. So this one will be AI. Is this a good reason to make it AI? Good enough for me. Do I expect to make this Whelen into a 35 STW? No. Just a little different is all..............FWB

fick,
if you live in Canada, ron smith barrels are made there.
they are as good as shilen, Krieger, etc, and he can also do gaintwist as well as std twist.
I have one in 0.400"/0.408" and am very happy with it.
bruce.

Just curious, but why all these different numbers for the same powder! Why are they different for other countries? I mean, what is H 8208 or CFE 223?
CoElkHunter
The different numbers are different powders as our Australian powders are sold to the USA and given a different name.
I will list a few Australian first then the U.S. designation
Adi 2209 = Hogdon 4350
ADI 2208= " Varget
ADI 2206H = "" 4895
ADI 2207= "" 4198
ADI 2213sc= ""4831sc
Benchmark 2= "" Benchmark
CFE223 is made by Hogdon in the USA and was imported into OZ.
Hope this helps different horses same jockies
Cheers mate Bob
Adi2225 = Retumbo
CFE223 is made by Hogdon and used to be imported into Australia.

Rick, when I started reloading for my 35 Whelen I found a lot of "grousing" about the loads currently being suggested in recently printed loading manuals. The majority of the complaints came from guys up in your neck of the woods who had been using their Whelen(s) for years on Black Bear and Moose. Bob Nelson and I are corresponding regularly via PMs on our preferred loads and experiences with them. There is a publication called " The Complete Reloading Manual" however it is comprised of separate booklets, one per each caliber. That is where I found the load recommended to me by a friend. PM me if you are interested and I'll share it with you. For "teasers" it has a 225 Gn. Barnes TSX loping along at 2730 FPS out of a 23 &1/2 inch barrel. If I were having one built today, it would have a 25 or 26 inch barrel.

Rick, when I started reloading for my 35 Whelen I found a lot of "grousing" about the loads currently being suggested in recently printed loading manuals. The majority of the complaints came from guys up in your neck of the woods who had been using their Whelen(s) for years on Black Bear and Moose. Bob Nelson and I are corresponding regularly via PMs on our preferred loads and experiences with them. There is a publication called " The Complete Reloading Manual" however it is comprised of separate booklets, one per each caliber. That is where I found the load recommended to me by a friend. PM me if you are interested and I'll share it with you. For "teasers" it has a 225 Gn. Barnes TSX loping along at 2730 FPS out of a 23 &1/2 inch barrel. If I were having one built today, it would have a 25 or 26 inch barrel.
Shootist43
Don't forget the 250 grain Speer hotcore at a leisurely 2,700 fps for some real thump.
Cheers mate Bob

I agree Bob, I use the 250 GN. Speer Hot- Cores for paper punching and on local White Tails and Hogs. Truth be told they could be used on African PG as well. When I was doing my original research the "old timers" were commenting "that the Hot-Core would do anything the premium bullets could do only cheaper."

The 35 Whelen is my favorite cartridge and have never considered using the AI version, stick with the standard round and you'll be happy.

CoElkHunter
The different numbers are different powders as our Australian powders are sold to the USA and given a different name.
I will list a few Australian first then the U.S. designation
Adi 2209 = Hogdon 4350
ADI 2208= " Varget
ADI 2206H = "" 4895
ADI 2207= "" 4198
ADI 2213sc= ""4831sc
Benchmark 2= "" Benchmark
CFE223 is made by Hogdon in the USA and was imported into OZ.
Hope this helps different horses same jockies
Cheers mate Bob
Adi2225 = Retumbo
CFE223 is made by Hogdon and used to be imported into Australia.
Thank you! I’m saving this info for future reference when different loads are mentioned using these powders.

Standard.

It's just one of those cartridges tha doesn't need improvements.

+1 if you want something faster buy another rifle btw with 180gr bullets the 35 whelen aint too slow either.

The standard 35 Whelen chambering is quite sufficient. I have two 35 Whelens and standard is the way to go IMO. Going AI takes out most of the case taper which can create issues (e.g. - the feed ramps/lips will probably have to be tuned) and the AI most likely will not feed quite as slickly as the standard chambering.

That said, if I were to do it all over again, I would go with the 9.3x62.

CB

I love my 35 Whelen - it's a Nosler M48. Have taken red hartebeest, eland (in my avatar), nyala, and a big whitetail with it using factory Federal 225g TBBCs which this rifle shoots well. I'd go with the standard 35 Whelen. While I love the idea of AIs in general, the only one I'd seriously consider at this point is the 280 AI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlenaDorri

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.