.350 Remington Magnum anyone?

I like heavy for caliber bullets in most cases. My LSA .303 factory sporter shoots those old school 215gr round nose puppies just fine. Preferred bullet in the Whelen is the 250.

So far I find this rifle shoots everything I have tried and shoots it well. Groups under an inch are common with all weights from 220-250. Preferred powder so far is IMR4320 just like the old Lyman manual says. I found a couple of boxes of discontinued Speer 250 round nose slugs on line that are a good fit for this short action. 220 Speers also shoot well. I started with 225 Game Kings and they of course shoot very well but are a little pricey for non hunting, and that's why I got the Speer 220's. Rifle performs better than expected overall. Quite pleased with it.

I'm not familiar with this caliber. What does it offer over a 35 Whelen pushing a 225 Gr. Barnes TTSX at 2730 FPS?
@Shootist43
Mate it's just a short action belted Whelen that come close to the Whelen but C ant handle the bigger 250s as well. The original load was a 200 grain rem core lockt specifically designed for the speeds of the rem mag.
It won't do anything the Whelen won't do better.
Bob

I made some 6.5 out of 7 Mag and then made a score on new 6.5 brass a month later. Lol. Got enough of both to last me and my kids lifetimes now! He who dies with the most brass and bullets win! Lol
@Bullthrower338
Cody that may be true. But the man who dies with the least brass and bullets has probably had a bucket more fun.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

I'm not familiar with this caliber. What does it offer over a 35 Whelen pushing a 225 Gr. Barnes TTSX at 2730 FPS?
@Shootist43
Art it offers nothing over the Whelen. It is actually inferior to it with heavy bullets 250gr and over. They take up too much room on the case. Stick with the Whelen.
Bob

I have seen several 350RM over the years but never owned one. My use for the 350 brass has been in my 416 express. fun round to shoot and is the smallest of the 416's After reading Ken Waters reloading book years ago I built one for myself and shoot 300 and 350gr pills out of it.

@Shootist43
Art it offers nothing over the Whelen. It is actually inferior to it with heavy bullets 250gr and over. They take up too much room on the case. Stick with the Whelen.
Nooop, overbroad.

The 250grn and 200grn bullets are exactly where the .350 Rem. Mag - the world’s first “short magnum” - shines. With careful use of the right powders, and an eye kept on seating depth, you can still wring out true magnum punch with the 250grn RN bullets. You just have to choose the right bullets and the right powder.

Now, if you would’ve said “heavy bullets over 250grns, then I would agree.

The .350 RM case and, worse, the short 2.800 action of the M600/M660/M7, just aren’t suited for the heavier .358 bullets that otherwise work superbly in .35 Whelen/long-action rifles.

Obligatory pic of my most-awesome 6.4lb, 18.5” Remmy M600 carbine in .350RM:

9669D3D2-3970-4A35-9868-705A0BBBD7E6.jpeg

:cool:

I built a 35 whelen due to a lifelong desire to have one, but I almost barreled my Savage in 350 Remington mag. The ammo looks cool, and you can't argue with the performance of the 350, even in short barrels. I will probably own one someday, since 35 cal is becoming my favorite rifle bore..

And Jeff Cooper used it on his "Super Scout" or "Lion Scout" rifles. He got at least Kudu and Moose with the caliber. Not sure if he used it on Lion.

View attachment 263282
Yes sir, Col. Cooper did take a lion with his 350 Rem Mag super Scout. 250grn Swift A-Frames at 2500fps. The magazine box was over length and he seated the bullets out some. But the load was HOT!! The brass was good for 1 loading only. This was why he named this rifle his lion Scout.

Nooop, overbroad.

The 250grn and 200grn bullets are exactly where the .350 Rem. Mag - the world’s first “short magnum” - shines. With careful use of the right powders, and an eye kept on seating depth, you can still wring out true magnum punch with the 250grn RN bullets. You just have to choose the right bullets and the right powder.

The .350 RM case and, worse, the short 2.800 action of the M600/M660/M7, just aren’t suited for the heavier .358 bullets that otherwise work superbly in .35 Whelen/long-action rifles.

View attachment 490314

@Jack Stevens
I notice you said the 250gn round nose. A 250gr speer, nosler or Woodleigh are longer and take up more room in the 350 rem mag than the roundnose. Even the 225gn accubond and Barnes are long bullets in the 350.
The Whelen gives a comfortable 2,700 fps with the 250s.
Yesterday the 275s upto 310s aren't good in the rem mag unless on a standard lenght action but that is defeating the purpose of the short round. The Whelen will do over 2,400fps with the 310gn Woodleigh.
Bob

@Jack Stevens
I notice you said the 250gn round nose. A 250gr speer, nosler or Woodleigh are longer and take up more room in the 350 rem mag than the roundnose. Even the 225gn accubond and Barnes are long bullets in the 350.
The Whelen gives a comfortable 2,700 fps with the 250s.
Yesterday the 275s upto 310s aren't good in the rem mag unless on a standard lenght action but that is defeating the purpose of the short round.
That's correct.

Both the cartridge itself and the initial short-action carbine (M600) it was chambered for max-out with the 250grn RN bullet. At least if you want to achieve maximum safe book velocity.

Remington’s successor model in the same chambering, the M660 (essential a 20” barreled “short rifle”) used the identical .2800” action. So the same limitations as to projectile weight and max COAL apply to it as well.

But again, for the relatively short-range hunting parameters they were intended for, the .350RM’s 200grn and 250grn loads can, and have, taken big game from deer and hogs to Alaskan caribou, moose, and all the bears - black, brown, and Grizz.

I’m not as familiar with the cartridge’s experience on the various African game, so maybe others who’ve used a .350RM there can chime in.

The 35-cal/.358 class of cartridges is very underrated. Almost uniformly they kill out of all disproportion to their paper ballistics.

View attachment 490411

Noted gun-scribe, John Barness, has been preaching the virtues of the 35-cals for years.
@Jack Stevens
Screenshot_20220406-074151_Chrome.jpg

As you are another 35 lover I thought you may like this.
Bob

Lgs had 4 new in the box 673s one in each cartridge they made, the 308 sold. I'd I had the money I'd buy them, asking $900 each there probably worth that. I'd I could afford one not sure if I'd get the 6.5 or the 350, I've had both and like both tho I'm not the biggest fan of belts. Wish the saum was a 7mm not 300.

That's correct.

Both the cartridge itself and the initial short-action carbine (M600) it was chambered for max-out with the 250grn RN bullet. At least if you want to achieve maximum safe book velocity.

Remington’s successor model in the same chambering, the M660 (essential a 20” barreled “short rifle”) used the identical .2800” action. So the same limitations as to projectile weight and max COAL apply to it as well.

But again, for the relatively short-range hunting parameters they were intended for, the .350RM’s 200grn and 250grn loads can, and have, taken big game from deer and hogs to Alaskan caribou, moose, and all the bears - black, brown, and Grizz.

I’m not as familiar with the cartridge’s experience on the various African game, so maybe others who’ve used a .350RM there can chime in.
Good day. I've never run a 350 magnum but very familiar with it. Frankly if you use 200-225grn pills it's more than a short range proposition. I shoot a 358 Winchester and with careful hand loading I can get within 100fps of factory (I say again, Factory) 350 mag. Handloading you can exceed factory specs in the 350 as Bob Nelson has done with the 35 Whelen. The 350 is more efficient in the 600/660 carbines than the 6.5 as it has a better expansion ratio. I've owned 7 or 8 600 or 660 carbines over the years. I've got a 660 in 308 that I built a retro Scout out of it like Col. Coopers first Scout rifle. I'm tempted to debarred it to 358 Win but the durn thing shoots everything into tiny little groups. Enjoy that 673. I should have bought one when they were still available.

Nooop, overbroad.

View attachment 490314

Ive got a Rem 600 in .308 that I absolutely love... would be over the moon if I could find one of the 600's in .350 Rem Mag that doesn't have the rib at a reasonable price.. they are super little carbines!

Scott, Thank you for the pix of the rifle - I immediately remembered it from when it was first announced. Back then, I took a hard look at it but determined that for my use, my pre 64 Winchester M70 featherweight .308 could do all I needed in a centerfire rifle. Simply stated, the extra bullet diameter was not needed. Too much over lap with my Ruger 77 .338 Win Mag too.

Have fun with it and please keep reporting.

Our Texas weather is cooling some and I soon hope to get back to the range to finish testing my new .458 DR . Plan to see if the excellent 350 grain .45-90 regulation will also work for the pile of 300 grain 45-70 ammo that I have. Much less recoil with the lighter loads.

Good day. I've never run a 350 magnum but very familiar with it. Frankly if you use 200-225grn pills it's more than a short range proposition. I shoot a 358 Winchester and with careful hand loading I can get within 100fps of factory (I say again, Factory) 350 mag. Handloading you can exceed factory specs in the 350 as Bob Nelson has done with the 35 Whelen. The 350 is more efficient in the 600/660 carbines than the 6.5 as it has a better expansion ratio. I've owned 7 or 8 600 or 660 carbines over the years. I've got a 660 in 308 that I built a retro Scout out of it like Col. Coopers first Scout rifle. I'm tempted to debarred it to 358 Win but the durn thing shoots everything into tiny little groups.
At the time they were introduced, the compact model 18.5” 600 & the 20” 660 were originally intended to compete (in iron-sight trim) with big-bore lever actions - and to compete in the same short-range hunting venues in which big-bore lever guns shine: the thick, dark timbered country east of the Mississippi, or similarly up in the northern forested regions of Michigan, or in the bushy areas near marshes in the south, and in almost any place in Alaska with dense alder brush where moose and the big bruins hang out.

Maximum shots rarely exceed 100-150yds, with most being inside 75yds, and in AK’s dense brush or alders when tracking a bear, certainly under 50-yds.

Enjoy that 673. I should have bought one when they were still available.
Thanks, but mine is a minty semi-custom M600.

37C69ABD-0871-41C5-B730-A8F59216A287.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LenoraCarr

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg