.350 Remington Magnum anyone?

I knew this before I got it, I don't care really as I will probably never hunt with either one. The 673 rifle intrigued me and I have never played with the round so that is all the excuse I need.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Different caliber same issue, with three 300 Win Mags in the safe I got a 308 Norma Mag. Just because it is a little different from what most other folks have. Seems like we scratched our similar itch the same way.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have a 673 in .350, it's a nice little rifle, accurate and handy. In a pinch brass can be made from any of the common belted magnum cases. I have never taken a head of game with mine but a co-worker has killed several whitetails with it and says it works very well. Enjoy!

Corlane sporting good in Dawson Creek BC has a good supply of 350Rem brass.
I have one in a ruger 77 MK II loves 225 Serbia sbt

Finally have it in hand, seller shipped UPS from Florida, took nearly 10 days with the weekend. Looks good, don't like the bridge scope base but have a two pc set ordered.

Right off the bat I had issues though. It would not accept 3 down in the mag as it should. Fooled around with it for a bit and found that if the mag box is not perfectly centered in the well when the screws are tightened, the follower will catch on the mag box. Fixed that.

Then I found that the second round would not feed from the mag, at all. It would tend to start out half sideways, then when the bolt came forward it would push it up out of the mag, go fully sideways and jam! PITA. So I emailed the seller and asked for the secret squirrel method to avoid this and got the usual "huh, what?" "always worked for me". You know the drill.

So after much back and forth and more faunching around with it I just told the guy I wanted to send it back. Didn't hear anything back. Then I had a brainstorm of sorts. I own two Rem 700 short action rifles in .308, they are actually USMC M40 clones, one that I put together many years ago, the other a Rem version Scout Sniper rifle from around 2006. I tried the follower from each in this 673 and the one from the older 60's vintage M40 clone works. Conversely the follower from the 673 also works perfect in the M40.

IMG_0442.JPG
So for now at least I can load and shoot the thing, I found another follower of that early type on Ebay and have it coming and hopefully I can use it in the 673 and put the other back in my M40 where it belongs. Here it is with an older 4X Redfield mounted. I sure like the look of this rifle. This rifle has a longer than normal LOP (13-3/4") for a Rem and though the scope looks like a bell ringer, it really isn't, I have ample eye relief.

Nice looking set up!

Got this to the range today. Started out with a eyeball bore sighto_O, first shot low on the paper at 100 with that old Redfield 4X. Two shots later I was in the center of the target, then put three in an inch with 53grs of IMR4320 and 225 Sierra Game Kings. That combo looks promising:D. Then switched to the powder the seller recommended and probably wont go back to it.:( That was TAC and I started getting hangfires right off. I hate hangfires!:mad::mad::mad: Try to shoot a group when you don't know if its going off when you pull the trigger. Also had one big ass smoker round for some reason. Blew smoke back in my face and smoked the hell out of the brass:eek::eek:, other wise no problem and it landed in the group. That one didn't hang though! ;) The rest were OK, but that powder in this round anyway is really boomy and get a huge muzzle flash, :eek:sometimeso_O. Weird stuff. I have used it in .308 and it worked fine but strange behavior in this rifle. It was pretty cold this morning, just above freezing and so guess I didn't use a hot enough primer for conditions. I use mostly WLR and it works well across the board for me. I have another box loaded up with 4320 that I will shoot next week. It shows real promise with that powder.:cool:

I just went in and looked my load for my M600 is 58.0 grains of H380 with a 250 primer. I’m going to dig it out and shoot it next weekend over the Radar.

I was bit by the 350 Rem Mag bug in the mid 90’s, couldn’t find an original Model 600, 660 or 700 at a reasonable price nor could I find a donor action so I bought a brand spanking new stainless Ruger M77 in 308Win!

Sent the rifle off to Montana Rifle company, they opened the bolt face and spun on a 35 cal barrel at my requested 23 inches. I also had them put in Timney trigger and adjusted to a crisp 3 lbs. While in Montana, had a Lone Wolf lightweight stock fitted. Mounted a Tasco Titan 1.5 - 6 x 42 scope and have used it to smash a few deer. Of course, Remington released the affordable Model 673 a few years after I did my build!

698BDC34-8DF5-4C31-892A-D3E6D43BF882.jpeg

When I say smash, I’ve taken a couple deer that were absolutely floored by non-CNS shots using 225 gr Sierras @ 2700 fps at 10-15 yards.

DISCLAIMER: CAUTION THESE LOADS ARE SAFE IN MY GUN, START LOWER AND WORK UP. NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU BLOWING YOURSELF UP!!!

225 Sierras using max book load of 62 gr Win 748 lit by CCI LRMs, same load for 225 gr Nosler Partition although Sierras shoot a tad tighter.

I’ve also used 200gr Hornady spire points at max velocity and they hold together well, don’t be afraid to push this bullet hard and they kill well. Accurate 2520 powder at max book load of 60 grains, again lit by CCI mag primer, book says 3000 FPS but I haven’t shot them over my magnetospeed. Need to add that to my range list after deer season is over!

I need to try TAC as there are reports of it giving very good velocity and accuracy. Add that to the list...after the 416 Ruger and 400 H&H load development.

@sestoppelman - enjoy your new acquisition!

Thanks guys, I have 215 mag primers on hand, but didn't really expect to need them, TAC having not shown in my previous experience a hard to light powder. The Lyman manual lists 4320 as one of the accurate load powders so that's why I tried it, and with just the one load of 53grs I can see it wants to shoot. The guy I got the rifle from said he was using a near max load of TAC and 200 gr Barnes Triple Shocks and actually getting just over 3000 fps!:eek: I have no need for such a load as that. But it appears it wants to shoot. But man that muzzle flash with TAC, Holy Smackerel!!:eek::eek::eek::D:D

Thanks guys, I have 215 mag primers on hand, but didn't really expect to need them, TAC having not shown in my previous experience a hard to light powder. The Lyman manual lists 4320 as one of the accurate load powders so that's why I tried it, and with just the one load of 53grs I can see it wants to shoot. The guy I got the rifle from said he was using a near max load of TAC and 200 gr Barnes Triple Shocks and actually getting just over 3000 fps!:eek: I have no need for such a load as that. But it appears it wants to shoot. But man that muzzle flash with TAC, Holy Smackerel!!:eek::eek::eek::D:D

Maybe I won’t try TAC based on your report of muzzle flash! Wonder if a Mag primer would make a difference in the flash?

I don't know, and it was odd that some flashed biblical and others not at all. So I think its very possible that primers would affect the amount of flash but to which direction I would not know, more:eek: or less? In contrast the 4320 was mellow:sleep: in comparison. I like the thick pad on this rifle, felt recoil was not at all bad, though it being cold I also had on a fairly thick wool coat.;)

I was never able to fit reloads adequately into a short action. Sold it, bought Whelen. Cheaper brass, better big bullet performance.............But....the best reason to get a new rifle is that you want it..............should be fun....................FWB

For sure, especially for heavy bullets. I do have a nice shooting Whelen of course. Its an old high number 1903 Springfield, a nice custom job that I sent to the rebore guys in OR recently. I don't even plan to try to shoot heavier than these Sierra 225's in this rifle, simply no need to. I like it so far though.

Sesto is right, of course. There is no reason ballistically to shoot bullets bigger than 225. But I remember when this was a standard size bullet for 30 calibers (old Peters Belted 225 grain) and I have shot a lot of 250 grainers out of 30 caliber rifles. So I wanted a 35 to shoot bigger........and, as I said, the best reason to do something new with a rifle is......FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeborahEde

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!