>35 Whelen versus. 338 Win Mag TKO values (modified)

Well I do have to thank you 35 Whelen boy’s for getting me up to take my Winchester Custom Shop 338WinMag off the rack to give it a proper wipe down and oiling!
This is my 80yo father with it after a hunt!
IMG_1276.jpeg
IMG_2701.jpeg

CZDiesel that is some seriously good timber in that stock.

CZDiesel that is some seriously good timber in that stock.
Thank you! But the old man holding it is seriously some GREAT timber! He’s gone now,
I miss him dearly, but the time we spent together on hunts and at the range I’ll never forget!!!

The 358 Norma mag came out in 1959 because Winchester missed the mark with the 338 in 1958. Just saying!
.350 Remington Magnum came out in 1965. 225gr. @2,750 out of a 20” barrel. Wonder what it could do out of a 24” barrel?

.350 Remington Magnum came out in 1965. 225gr. @2,750 out of a 20” barrel. Wonder what it could do out of a 24” barrel?
Not even close to that in the factory offerings in 1965, or in the currently published reloading data. In fact it was criticized at the time by Jack O'Conner and others of falling short of the performance of the .35 Whelen (then a wildcat cartridge), but fairly well known.

Not even close to that in the factory offerings in 1965, or in the currently published reloading data. In fact it was criticized at the time by Jack O'Conner and others of falling short of the performance of the .35 Whelen (then a wildcat cartridge), but fairly well known.
Ok, I missed the fps by 12. Banish me to buying a Creedmoor! LOL

IMG_2237.png

Last edited by a moderator:
@Papa72
I have despised the horrible little 243 for over 45 years.
Bob
I had a HS classmate, he was all of 5'2" and 100 lbs. When he told me he had a .243, I thought to myself "Well THAT figures - a child's toy for a tiny little tadger."

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, though, everyone with taste and class knows the 9.3x62 is properly addressed as HIS RH.

I had a HS classmate, he was all of 5'2" and 100 lbs. When he told me he had a .243, I thought to myself "Well THAT figures - a child's toy for a tiny little tadger."

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, though, everyone with taste and class knows the 9.3x62 is properly addressed as HIS RH.
@sgt_zim
Maybe but REAL red blooded men use a Whelen.
Only fractionally younger than the 9.3
Versatility out does class. Try loading handgun bullets in a 9.3 for cheap fun that will still work on hogs. Intelligence trumps class.
Bob

Ok, I missed the fps by 12. Banish me to buying a Creedmoor! LOL
Ha, you are right I did not make the point I was trying to make. Add another 100 to 150 fps to the 350 Rem Mag data you posted to account for barrel length and you are close to matching what I get from the .35 Whelen. Nothing wrong with the 350 Remington Magnum, but it was the solution to a problem that did not exist because the 35 Whelen was around.

Ha, you are right I did not make the point I was trying to make. Add another 100 to 150 fps to the 350 Rem Mag data you posted to account for barrel length and you are close to matching what I get from the .35 Whelen. Nothing wrong with the 350 Remington Magnum, but it was the solution to a problem that did not exist because the 35 Whelen was around.
And yet neither can match the 338WinMag :cool:

Whay
The 338WM does do some things the 35 Whelen cannot (sorry Bob!) Long range is really no contest. I have a 338WM load with a 212gr Hammer Hunter. Velocity and Energy still both over 2k past 650 yards.
What are you talking about Willis. Just get the ole Mortar sights out and you lob the 35W over the crest into the dead ground. Catches them unaware. :ROFLMAO:

I want aware the 350RemMag or the 35 Whelen was legal for dangerous game?
I’m sure one could hunt grizzly bears in Alaska with those cartridges? I’d use my .338WM or .375 Ruger if I ever had the opportunity to do so by winning the Lottery.

I’m sure one could hunt grizzly bears in Alaska with those cartridges? I’d use my .338WM or .375 Ruger if I ever had the opportunity to do so by winning the Lottery.
If the Libs get there way we’ll have Grizz here in Colorado in the next couple years smh

If the Libs get there way we’ll have Grizz here in Colorado in the next couple years smh
Yeah, but you won't be allowed to hunt them.....................unless they eat a couple of Democrat Politicians

Last edited:
I wasn’t aware the 350RemMag or the 35 Whelen was legal for dangerous game?
Bob and I have been going back and forth over the clearly superior 9.3x62 v 35W for some time. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayfordEny

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia