.338-06 for Plains Game?

If you look, you can find .338-06 stamped brass on Gunbroker. That is where I found my Nosler custom loaded ammo with the proper headstamp.

I did take a rebarreled Savage 111 in .388-06 to the Eastern Cape in June. That said, I never got around to using it as my .280AI was plenty for everything I shot.

Anyone who would develop and load such a cartridge probably both knows what they're doing plus how to shoot. So I predict a lot of one shot kills. Go for it!

I am planning on taking my 338-06AI on my up coming plains game hunt. The rifle is a 90s model Win Mod 70 classic, control feed with the detachable box magazine. I had it rebuilt several month ago it was born a .270. Original stock was refinished and opened up a bit for the Proof 22 inch stainless barrel and glass bedding. It balances and handles great and is the most accurate rifle I own. My load is a 186gr Hammer (stone hammer) at 3127 fps.

My brass is Norma 338.06AS, Barrel is marked 338.06AI. Hopefully that is close enough to pass inspection?! We are going to South Africa, last time no one even looked at our ammo. Those of you mentioning head stamp scrutiny, was that in SA or other countries.
If you book through Travel Express or Gracy, they'll handle all your paperwork, plus some "extra." SAPS didn't even look at my ammo (for 2 different rifles) when I went through last month, and I even asked them if they wanted to. "Not necessary," I was told. All they did was make sure the SNs indicated on the paperwork matched what was on my rifles.

Mozambique, I am told, is a little more persnickety about such things.

I hunt with a 338 Sabi, which is basically the same thing and use Peregrine 220 grain VRG4 bullets with a muzzle velocity of 2,550 fps.

In the 12 or so years I have been hunting with it here in South Africa I have hunted a multiple species with one shot kills out to 300 metres.

If you book through Travel Express or Gracy, they'll handle all your paperwork, plus some "extra." SAPS didn't even look at my ammo (for 2 different rifles) when I went through last month, and I even asked them if they wanted to. "Not necessary," I was told. All they did was make sure the SNs indicated on the paperwork matched what was on my rifles.

Mozambique, I am told, is a little more persnickety about such things.
I had every cartridge case and every serial number checked in Mozambique. It took quite a long time. It was all written out on a form, in which the policeman wrote one number of serial number incorrectly, so it took over an hour to sort that out once his colleague spotted the mistake.

I strongly suspect that they were being deliberately difficult, as they also suggested that my passport was a fake, all very frustrating!

I hunt with a 338 Sabi, which is basically the same thing and use Peregrine 220 grain VRG4 bullets with a muzzle velocity of 2,550 fps.

In the 12 or so years I have been hunting with it here in South Africa I have hunted a multiple species with one shot kills out to 300 metres.
Does the peregrine bullet expand in small species such as Springbok, or just pass straight through?

Worked fine with a 225 TTSX @ 2500 on Kudu, Blesbok, Springbok, Bushbuck and Warthog. Longest shot was ~225yds, shortest ~15yds, all one shot and down they went (well, except the Springbok took two). Did not recover any bullets, unfortunately. I've since switched to 200 Accubond ... better accuracy in my rifle and a bit better expansion probability at lower velocities.

My Ruger #1 has made 2 trips. I carried it on my first and my daughter carried it on her first. 225gr A Frames are bad PG medicine! Just about perfect. Killed kudu, gemsbok, zebra and smaller stuff.

As to headstamps, it depends on where you are going. Namibia has not checked in multiple trips.

The only time I had my headstamps checked was when I was in SA in 97. Been back there 3 times as well as Zimbabwe and Tanzania. Never checked since 97.

@KCSafari
A lot slower than the Whelen. It can't throw a 225gn at 2,900 fps or a 250gn at 2,700fps or a 310gn at over 2,400fps like the Whelen can
Bob
Those velocities are what I was getting in my 35 AI when I had it (should never have sold it), but not a std 35 whelen.

I know it's a pretty niche wildcat cartridge, but has anyone here taken a.338-06 to Africa for plains game? I've got a beautiful old rifle that shoots 210gr Nolser Partitions like they were lasers. It's been great for elk and bears so I would assume it's good to go for plains game, but I'd like to hear some real world Africa experiences with it if there are any.
Thanks.
Been to Africa four times. That cartridge will hammer pains game like nobody's business. 210 grain bullet will pass through every animal you harvest. Practice shooting off sticks at the range and enjoy your Safari.

I watched a .338-06 kill multiple water buffalo in Australia, I'm quite sure it will do well on plains game.
Wow. Curious- what was the load?

I fell for the hype on the 338 Federal, shot a bear with it. Really would have felt better if I had a 338-06 or a 30-06 with 200-220 grains. Trying to get rid of the 338 Federal, just not my cup of tea.

How fast will a 338-06 push a 210 grain bullet? (Any flavor, but preferably a Barnes TTSX.)

Wow. Curious- what was the load?
@shootist~

Yeah I was curious too and perplexed when I found out he was shooting 185gr Barnes TTSX because the twist rate of the barrel was such and to not stabilize the heavier bullets.

He also had a beautiful .500J to use but ended up using the .338-06 for the majority of the hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittnyLye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia