.338-06 for Plains Game?

A .338-06 will do just fine.

My experience in Mozambique was pretty lengthy, but my safari company had a man who met me at the Tambo airport and knew the system.

I was expecting to pay quite a bit for importing the ammo, but it cost less than 1/2 of what I was expecting.

Never try it by yourself in Africa, unless you are very experienced.

An experienced concierge is worth their weight in gold when trying to get guns and ammo through an airport.

Clear back in 1983, Roy Vincent was extolling the virtues of the .338-06 for African plains game. And he’s certainly an authority among PH’s about the merits of various cartridges on African game. He had one, may still have it for all I know, and he thought it was an excellent option for most game.

I also worked up a load in my 338-06AI with the Hammer hunter 213 which actually weighs 210gr. That load averaged exactly 2900fps. For reference I worked up a load in the 338WM with the same bullet and ended up with 3038fps. Powder for both loads is Alliant 2000-MR. 61.8gr in the 338-06 and 70.2 in the 338WM. Also my 338-06 is a 22 inch barrel, 24 inch on the 338WM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EleanorBry

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?