30mm tubed scopes for hunters?

Like you, I prefer the appearance of 1” scopes but have many 30mm scopes due to the quality of glass and illumination I am looking for. I wish Swarovski would make a Z6 quality scope with illumination in a 1” tube.
Same here. My desires and what manufacturers seem to want to produce really aren't in sync as far as hunting scopes go. In general, my ideal is a lightweight scope with an illuminated reticle, no side focus, about 2-10x magnification, and able to be mounted in low rings with good bolt clearance. Most scopes fail to meet one or more of those criteria.

A 1" tube would help with weight, and often has a bit smaller ocular housing to help with bolt clearance, but pickings are really slim when you add in the other criteria. Right now I have a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 on my .308 since it comes fairly close to my ideal. I'm still trying to convince myself to pony up for a Swaro z6i 1.7-10 for it. I'd prefer it with a 1" tube and smaller ocular though.

Same here. My desires and what manufacturers seem to want to produce really aren't in sync as far as hunting scopes go. In general, my ideal is a lightweight scope with an illuminated reticle, no side focus, about 2-10x magnification, and able to be mounted in low rings with good bolt clearance. Most scopes fail to meet one or more of those criteria.

A 1" tube would help with weight, and often has a bit smaller ocular housing to help with bolt clearance, but pickings are really slim when you add in the other criteria. Right now I have a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 on my .308 since it comes fairly close to my ideal. I'm still trying to convince myself to pony up for a Swaro z6i 1.7-10 for it. I'd prefer it with a 1" tube and smaller ocular though.

Yeah, if you could just get the features you want would be great.

You can't, I know I have the same problem.

I'm not about to "Pony up" for the Swarovski 1.7 - 10 but I bet it's a great scope.

I’ve got rifles with 30’s… and rifles with 1”… what optic ends up on a rifle largely depends on what makes best sense for the intended end result, and what I find a good deal on at the time I’m looking to purchase…

I used to buy a lot of zeiss… lately I’ve been buying a lot of leupold… but I’m not a brand loyalist… I’ve also bought swaro and meopta recently….

In addition to the comments noted, a feature of the 30mm scopes that I like is that the objective bell has less height than the same bell on a 1" scope- to explain: a 50 mm bell on a 1" scope will go nearly 1/2 inch below the tube (50mm - 25.4 = 24.6 /2 = 12.3mm) and will require rings and bases of at least medium & possibly high models. A 50mm objective on a 30mm tube is only 10mm drop, which will generally fit the barrel taper with low rings/bases. so with a 30 mm tube one gets a large objective and a low mounted scope.

In addition to the comments noted, a feature of the 30mm scopes that I like is that the objective bell has less height than the same bell on a 1" scope- to explain: a 50 mm bell on a 1" scope will go nearly 1/2 inch below the tube (50mm - 25.4 = 24.6 /2 = 12.3mm) and will require rings and bases of at least medium & possibly high models. A 50mm objective on a 30mm tube is only 10mm drop, which will generally fit the barrel taper with low rings/bases. so with a 30 mm tube one gets a large objective and a low mounted scope.
Not sure I agree, centre line is centre line.

Not a brand loyalist either, but it seems most of the boxes I want checked in a scope will usually end with me buying a 30mm tube, I have 1 34mm tube scope as well.

I wish Swarovski would make a Z6 quality scope with illumination in a 1” tube

Well there is an other Austrian quality brand offering two scopes with 1" diameter

We are using this one on a .243 Win, which works great for deer hunting.

The "larger" one:

Maybe they are interesting for your search...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.46.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.46.45 AM.png
    372.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.46.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.46.46 AM.png
    311.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.46.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.46.48 AM.png
    290.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.47.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.47.05 AM.png
    312.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.47.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.47.06 AM.png
    307.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.47.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.47.08 AM.png
    277.7 KB · Views: 46
Until a few years ago, all my rifles wore 1” Leupold scopes. Now, the 4 rifles I primarily hunt with are all topped with 30mm Leupold VX5-HD scopes with the Firedot reticle. My 264 has a 3-15x, 338 & 375 are both topped with 2-10x and my 416 with a 1-5x.

My personal view is that the Firedot is worth at least as much as the 30 mm tube, especially for dangerous game & low light conditions. If you’ve never used an illuminated reticle, it’s a game changer, especially in a leopard blind.

Last edited:
Not sure I agree, centre line is centre line.
I wasn't saying centerline of the scope. I was saying bottom of the tube to the bottom of the objective bell. Naturally the centerline and subsequent eye position of a 30 mm scope tube will be proportionately higher than the centerline of a 1" tube.

Does anyone mount 30mm scopes on hunting rifles.

Do you choose it for the tube size or the other specifications like "model" quality/Brand/adjustment? Example my mate likes the Swarovski z6 series.

Do you feel there is any specific advantage?

I know it can offer more adjustment but is there any advantage to the hunter?
I now have almost all 30mm scopes. It provides better light gathering and more adjustment to dial.

I now have almost all 30mm scopes. It provides better light gathering and more adjustment to dial.
Part of your statement is incorrect. Light gathering is a function of front lens diameter and magnification and light transmission through the scope. The tube diameter has no effect. 30 mm tube does have more adjustment or moa.

I have both 1" and 30mm.

For the same $, I can't tell the difference.

Part of your statement is incorrect. Light gathering is a function of front lens diameter and magnification and light transmission through the scope. The tube diameter has no effect. 30 mm tube does have more adjustment or moa.

It is true that the manufacturers of the scopes say that the diameter of that does not affect the light magnification. The bigger diameter of the tube only allows better and more mechanisms to be introduced inside and thus improve performance.

It also seems to me that the scope with a 30mm tube have better luminosity, but surely you should also take into account ocular and objective of an scope.

It seems to be better. Maybe it is the fact that most of my 30mm are of the highest quality glass. For me to 1” tube looks funny after having mostly 30mm. I do have a 1” Leupold on my Tikka 7mm Mag mountain rifle where weight was a primary consideration.

It seems to be better. Maybe it is the fact that most of my 30mm are of the highest quality glass. For me to 1” tube looks funny after having mostly 30mm. I do have a 1” Leupold on my Tikka 7mm Mag mountain rifle where weight was a primary consideration.

I think that is probably the case. The best optics are constructed on 30mm tubes. If Swaro built a light Z6 on a 1” tube we could compare apples to apples. I think a lightweight illuminated Z6 1.7-10x on a 1” tube would be a very interesting scope for a mountain rifle.

I think that is probably the case. The best optics are constructed on 30mm tubes. If Swaro built a light Z6 on a 1” tube we could compare apples to apples. I think a lightweight illuminated Z6 1.7-10x on a 1” tube would be a very interesting scope for a mountain rifle.

Maybe? My problem with that would be. You runout of adjustment in the 1" scope so quickly. If a goat/sheep of a lifetime is is XXX and your adjustment in a 1" scope fall short by a few hundred yards. Well I can only speak for myself. I would rather take 3-6oz less food, than take a less option scope for a hunt like that. You are a good shot from everything I have seen, I'm not taking that away. I'm just looking at possibilities to come up in the scenario you are speaking on.

Does anyone mount 30mm scopes on hunting rifles.

Do you choose it for the tube size or the other specifications like "model" quality/Brand/adjustment? Example my mate likes the Swarovski z6 series.

Do you feel there is any specific advantage?

I know it can offer more adjustment but is there any advantage to the hunter?
@CBH Australia
Chris the only advantage of a 30mm tube is more adjustment and some argue they are stronger.
Downside is the are generally heavier and more expensive.
The objective Bell provides the light gathering , the bigger the objective the more light transmitted.
Good quality scopes like meopta, ziess and now pecar again are great scopes that work well on any hunting rifle.
If you need more adjustment with a 25mm tube you can just use a 20 moa rail.
Me personally I stick with 25mm.
Just my 2 cents but then again I like a nice 6x fixed on a hunting rifle as well.
Bob

I decided to give this scope a try. It’s exactly what I wanted for a small scope with good glass, but unfortunately it’s a little too short for magnum action and sits too far forward. It would be very good on a 308.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 8.27.28 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 8.27.28 AM Large.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 8.27.30 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 8.27.30 AM Large.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 8.27.32 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 8.27.32 AM Large.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 35
Thanks for the kind words Wishfulthinker580, here is the post, for everyone's convenience :)

Why a 30 mm tube on scopes with objective bells...

The 30 mm tube choice has nothing to do with light transmission. The only advantage a 30 mm tube has over a 1" tube on a scope with an objective bell, is that it allows more room internally for a wider range of adjustment of the scope erector, i.e. the mechanism that holds the reticle:
  • The reason why European scopes standardized at 30 mm instead of 25 mm is that in days when the tolerances on the mounting of scope bases were much looser than today, a 30 mm scope generally had enough internal adjustment to avoid having to shim the bases and/or the rings. 25 mm scopes often needed external adjustment in addition to internal adjustment. A definite weakness...
  • The reason why virtually all modern military scopes have 30 mm tubes is similar, but applied to a different purpose. More internal adjustment allows more elevation clicks to shoot farther.
  • The reason why some military scopes are now available with 34 mm tubes is more of the same: more internal elevation clicks for latest longer range loads (e.g. Lapua, etc.).
Why a 30 mm tube on scopes without objective bells...

First we need to explain a little more the exit pupil concept. Yes, human pupil vary in diameter from 2 mm to 7 mm, but the application of this fact has nothing to do with the tube diameter, because indeed whether the tube be 25 mm, 1" (25.4 mm), 30 mm or 34 mm is irrelevant to a 7 mm light beam. @Bert the Turtle is correct!

The application of the basic rule that a 7 mm light beam must desirably reach the pupil at full dilatation in low light condition applies to the diameter of the objective. The basic rule is that magnification x light beam diameter determines the diameter of the objective. This is the reason why most European x6 scopes have a 42 mm objective (6x 7mm = 42 mm), most European x8 scopes have a 56 mm objective (8x 7mm = 56 mm), etc.

This is the reason why a straight 1" tube DG scope with 20 mm objective on a .375 H&H rifle that may see yeoman service on a 1 rifle safari involving early or late shooting, is not ideal. Regardless of glass quality, a 1.5-4x20 straight tube 1" scope only produces a 5 mm light beam at 4x (20 / 4 = 5). This typically means 5 to 10 less minutes of shooting light at dawn or dusk, and that may make all the difference in the world, where legal...

Everything else (such as glass and coatings quality) being equal, you will factually see a Leopard at dusk, or a Kudu at dawn, better with a 42 mm objective than with a 20 mm objective because a 42 mm objective will collect a 7 mm light beam at 6x and a 20 mm objective will only collect a 5 mm beam at 4x. The best glass in the world, from whichever manufacturer, will not make up for this. Period.

A straight 30 mm tube DG scope with 24 mm objective is a step in the right direction. At 4x a 24 mm objective gives you a 6 mm light beam. This is not as good as 7 mm, but this is appreciably better that 5 mm.

I personally play the game on both ends: I use a 30 mm straight tube because of its 24 mm objective, and I rarely use it at more than 3.5x because it produces a 7 mm light bean at that magnification, and anyway I do not shoot far in general when I use a DG rifle... and anyway I am incapable of seeing a difference between 3.5x and 4x... and anyway any variable optic from any manufacturer will typically not have the best image quality at max power...

Please note that all these considerations disappear when using the scope in full day light when a younger shooter pupil is shrinking to 2 mm and an older shooter pupil is shrinking to 3 mm. This is why a modern straight tube scope with a lot of magnification still makes some level of sense. It would be a gross misuse of a Z8i 1-8x24 to try to use it at 8x at dawn or dusk because its 3 mm beam would not even carry half the light the shooter could use and would need, but at high noon this 3 mm beam would work just fine. Although why one would want 8x on a DG rifle scope escapes me...

In summary:
  1. A 30 mm tube provides a wider internal adjustment range, which may solve a less than perfectly aligned scope mount issue, and which allows more internal elevation clicks, useful for long range shooting;
  2. On straight tube scopes a 30 mm tube provides a larger objective diameter over a 1" tube (typically 24 mm over 20 mm), which increases the diameter of light beam reaching the shooter's eye at any magnification considered.
@One Day...
Great simple explanation.
A 30 mm tube on a straight scope is a good idea for more light transmission. How many people shoot DG at longer ranges pre dawn or 20 minutes after sunset. If you need more light transmission go down in power. The old leupold fixed 3 power with a 25mm tube was the go to on a 375 for years.
Another factor that hasn't been mentioned yet is the 30mm and bigger tube are a lot heavier and require a stronger mount clamping on both the tube and base to stop the scope moving under recoil. Newton's third law comes into play with these bigger scopes
Is bigger better. Personal preference.
The problem is good quality 25mm tube scope are getting harder to get and good fixed power 25mms are going the way of the dinosaurs.
All my variables are 25mm tube and are usually set on the lowest power so exit pupil is never an issue. If needed I can always crank the power up to suit my needs.
I like simple my mind works well with simple.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PasqualeSt

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!