.308 Win or .30.06? Which caliber has the nose in front in your country?

Mmm,

You dont have a man bun and the question compares .308/.30-06.

I'm sure 6.5cm has its place but not in this race.

I'm not sure just any shooter would be printing 1moa straight off. Perhaps the gear is capable but Ive seen people who have shot a lot who don't group well.
The question is 308/06. And no new hunter with an inexpensive gun is going to shoot 1" groups right off. I used to see some 7mm but not any more. In fact I see more lever actions now than ever.

I've used both 308 and 30/06 extensively on deer and pigs. In that sized game, they are equals. That said, I currently own three 30/06 rifles and no 308. The old 06 just does everything so well, and with the option to go with heavier bullets for larger game, I just prefer it over the 308 for hunting.

I’ve volunteered the last 15 years at our local range’s hunter sight in days. We’re open the last 3 Sundays before our deer season opener. We have 10 benches with a volunteer for each so we are one on one with the person we are assisting. We do between 350 to 400 rifles per year.
To get to the OPs question the 30-06’s outnumbered the 308 this year by a margin of 4 to 1. Keep in mind that the people that go to hunter sight in days do so because they don’t have any other place to shoot and that we get the folks that have one or two rifles that they take out of the closet before deer season and check zero and shoot one or two shots hunting deer.

I've used both 308 and 30/06 extensively on deer and pigs. In that sized game, they are equals. That said, I currently own three 30/06 rifles and no 308. The old 06 just does everything so well, and with the option to go with heavier bullets for larger game, I just prefer it over the 308 for hunting.
Toby, hi!
I read a lot of posts, the advantage of the 3006 over the 308 using heavier bullets are out of discussion!
The natter is the handloading... In many countries (like mine... buaaa...) there are many few reloading issues, like powders and bullets, and we, here, are pushing down to makes, magic in order to reload the 3006 as a 3006, i mean, with the right FPS , in other hand the 308 are a truly 308 with the national components (A27 powder per example)
When I read details of loads in this forum I can only be amazed at the number of options they have for each caliber, there is no need to go inventing anything, they simply go, buy the right powder, and can choose between Alliant, Accurate, Hogdon ... That here, unfortunately does not happen, we are very limited, so the one who chooses a medium demanding caliber with the type of powder pads, complicates life, or pulls less than the one who chooses a more "adaptable" one ... like 308, 243, 375, etc.

Last edited:
I've hunted exactly once with a 308 and that was this deer season. I just bought and sighted in a Sig 716i and figured why not see what it would do. It was also the first time I've ever hunted with an AR style rifle. I killed a buck and a doe. Both clean one shot kills. Federal 150gr.

All my 30-06 rifles have always done the exact same thing. Hornady American Whitetail 150gr.

I'm a 30-06 fan but I have no quarrel with the 308. Ammo availability is the same. Performance with equal weight bullets is the same.

The three things always mentioned to differentiate them are:

Action length. Who cares? This is one of the most overhyped and ridiculous gun forum discussions. You can build uber light rifles in either caliber if that's your thing and having to stroke the bolt an extra 1/2" is not going to make one dang bit of difference in how fast you get off a second shot. Make the first one count and it really doesn't matter.

Recoil. No one will be able to tell the difference between the two if shooting the same ammo from the same model rifle.

Versatility. Again, who cares? A 308 shooting 180gr bullets will kill anything a 30-06 shooting 220gr bullets will kill if the shot placement is the same. Individual animals might react differently but that's not the fault of the bullet or the caliber.

As I said, I prefer 30-06. Mainly because it's what I started hunting with and I prefer the heritage of the old warhorse but the 308 is for all intents and purposes equally as good.

Ford vs Chevy

One more thought re: 30-06 vs 308. In my case I think another reason I prefer 30-06 over 308 is because I have a lot of experience successfully hunting with 30-06. I started with 30-06 and never saw the need to buy a 308 because my 30-06 rifles worked just fine. I suspect the typical 308 fan is in the same boat.

In elk camps across 5 western states (yea, we're serious about elk hunting) 20+ years ago it was 270 Win, 7mm RM, .30-06, and 300 WM. Never seen a .308 Win in elk camp.

The biggest surprise over the last, oh, 5 years are the emergence of the 6.5's. At the end of this season's elk camps in 2 states I tallied a 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC, 6.5 RPM, & .30-06. That's it. The others have dropped away.

I am expecting next season to see a 6.8 Western and a 300 PRC make an appearance. Whether or not they will have staying power remains to be seen.

The .30-06 however, keeps showing up.

I think the 308 is a fantastic cartridge designed for a purpose… great potential for accuracy in the up to and including the 165/168 grain at 2750 fps. But when you want more weight as in the 180 at 2750 FPS and the need for a 200 or 220 grain bullet the 30 06 is the go to. Just my opinion and experience for the USA to African trip. Recoil concern…308…on plains game works. My choice for bush veld in a heartbeat. My initial experience..1968 Ft Dix NJ on the range…very accurate at 300 meters..on well worn rifles and peep sights and manageable minimal recoil. That round stole my heart In a m14 for what the 308 was capable of..

One more thought re: 30-06 vs 308. In my case I think another reason I prefer 30-06 over 308 is because I have a lot of experience successfully hunting with 30-06. I started with 30-06 and never saw the need to buy a 308 because my 30-06 rifles worked just fine. I suspect the typical 308 fan is in the same boat.
Yes, you´re right!

We have one important factor: rifle reloading was banned a few years ago, and now it is not very common, so hunters rely on purchased cartridges. According to my observations, serious and wealthy hunters, owners of German carbines, are more inclined to 30-06. They are a minority. The rest are content with 308, but to no lesser extent also 7.62x54R and even 7.62x39. That is, answering the question - 30-06 and 308 - about equally, but in total they hardly make up half of the weapons used. Nevertheless, these cartridges are produced in Russia, as well as rifles of these calibers.
The remaining calibers are in trace amounts, as chemists say, and cartridges for them may not be available in stores, especially provincial ones. Large calibers are superfluous even for a large moose.

We have one important factor: rifle reloading was banned a few years ago, and now it is not very common, so hunters rely on purchased cartridges. According to my observations, serious and wealthy hunters, owners of German carbines, are more inclined to 30-06. They are a minority. The rest are content with 308, but to no lesser extent also 7.62x54R and even 7.62x39. That is, answering the question - 30-06 and 308 - about equally, but in total they hardly make up half of the weapons used. Nevertheless, these cartridges are produced in Russia, as well as rifles of these calibers.
The remaining calibers are in trace amounts, as chemists say, and cartridges for them may not be available in stores, especially provincial ones. Large calibers are superfluous even for a large moose.
Where is reloading banned?
Why is it banned?
How big is shooting in your country? Target/ pest management/ hunting?

Reloading banned'
wow... thath´s so sad!... Bad situation!

The whole world is going to no-guns, no reloading, etc....meek shall inherit the earth...but I think we're the meek ones for letting them do this and they have the balls to do so....so who is meek?

Dunno, if you don't like guns, don't effing use them. Who the hell are you to tell me what my hobby should look like....Anyway, it's Christmas, why ruin such fine day with stupid politics and anger....

Merry Christmas to you all!

The country is Russia. The ban on the reload of rifle cartridges (namely rifle cartridges) was long ago and canceled three years ago. The reason for the ban is, well, we have a sluggish war going on here, some kind of terrorists, etc., and in order to limit the use of dangerous weapons, the home manufacture of arms and rifled cartridges is prohibited. However, I do not know of cases where someone was convicted under this article as such, it was usually used as a trailer for terrorist or criminal activity.
Senator Reznik was the initiator of lifting the ban, we pray for him. By the way, such a politician Butina also played a role, she is not the last person in the arms lobby.
At the same time, components and equipment for reload were sold, and long-range shooting competitions with homemade cartridges were held :) but it's hard to understand from the outside. When discussing recipes on the Internet, we had to use euphemisms :).
And I will write about hunting in the topic "Hunting in Russia”, which for some reason is in the section "Hunting in Asia". Only on Monday, now I'm leaving for the weekend in the hope of seeing at least a roe deer.

@Vashper thanks for the explanation.

Yes, it is difficult to understand from the outside.

Enjoy the festive season.

Here in Denmark the .308W might the the most predominant caliber. When this written there are still a lot of hunters/shooters who use 8x57, .30-06, 223s and 6,5x55s. The 9,3mm has begone to be more popular due to pighunting in Sweden. The most commen magnum caliber would be .300 win mag. However I know of atleast 3 who uses the .300WEa and I use .300 H&H and .270Wea.

Here's an example from last Saturday: 12 shooters in a line, 3 - 308, 3- 30-06, 1 - 243, the rest are shotguns. Plus 10 beaters, 7 of them with shotguns (local hunters). In general, local huntsmen are against rifles: "they spoil the meat, provoke long-range shooting with wounds." Nevertheless - 1 roe deer from 30-06, 1 shot through, from the lower jaw to the ass, and a wild boar - 8 shots from shotguns, only one fatal.

but by the way, none of the 30-06 had heavy bullets, and this is the main advantage of 30-06 over 308 :)

Here in Denmark the .308W might the the most predominant caliber. When this written there are still a lot of hunters/shooters who use 8x57, .30-06, 223s and 6,5x55s. The 9,3mm has begone to be more popular due to pighunting in Sweden. The most commen magnum caliber would be .300 win mag. However I know of atleast 3 who uses the .300WEa and I use .300 H&H and .270Wea.
Same situation in different country! Here, there are a lot of hunters who choose some "rare" calibers such 9,3x62, 375, 338 win, etc etc... But the 308 are the most popular!
3006 and 300 win are very populars too

Last edited:
I believe the most popular caliber in Australia is the 308.
I’ve had I 308 and 2 30/06s.
But
I prefer the 270 - just a personal choice.
Ewww. I have about as much use for 270 as @Bob Nelson 35Whelen has for 243. ;)

A couple of weeks ago I asked the gamekeeper "what, in your opinion, is the best caliber?". I just read the corresponding thread here. He replied, "20-gauge on the spot." Since he is also a skinner after hunting, his point of view is easy to understand.
Last week we butchered a roe deer. One of the hits of 308 was in the pelvic bone, and one thigh turned literally into mincemeat, only for dogs. It's a pity, there's only 25 kilograms of live weight. This weekend, a guy from 30-06 shot a roe deer through and through, well, the meat suffered little. That's why I take a 20-gauge U/O with me so that Oleg can see and not get upset. But unfortunately, if you are standing in the open, then the roe deer are worn like jet, and it is desirable to have a semi-automatic, and I have only one 308.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgiaD06

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!