.303 British, good for nothing or classic African cartridge?

Only hassle I run I to was with s&b brass. Whilst supposedly made to c.i.p standards, this is not the (case). The head height is considerably less than the U.S brass, did run Into head spacing troubles until I adjusted reloading dies accordingly.Have since dumped all of them, as I have mainly Remington & federal brass.I ran into this problem many years ago with ici/imi 243 brass, the case head height being far less than the U.S counterparts. This problem still exists to this day In continental made 22 hornet cases as compared to U. S made. Not only is the head height less , but the case rim height is greater. This gives all sorts of head spacing / case separation issues.
With the ruger #1 in 303 British, there are no problems with case stretching /separations, ( unless using s&b brass ).
Whilst I won't list loading data here, it's very easy to achieve velocities in excess of 200 fps over 308 factory ammunition with 180 grain projectiles, in the ruger #1.
However , my usual load is very mild, in keeping with the original loads @ 2450fps.
@Brent James
The 303 British headspace on the rim not the datum line on the shoulder. You could set your FLS die to set the shoulder halfway down the case and it will not affect the headspace.
Rim thickness plays a big part as a rim of 0.60 thou will cause issues.
The ideal rim thickness is 0.62 to 0.64 thou and will minimize headspace. Remington and Hornaday are good cases in this regard.
As for the 303 case being weak I very much doubt it nowdays as I load my 25/303 Epps Newton improved to 52,000 cup in my p14 and have NEVER had an issue with cases.
Bob

The 303 is great used as a scrub rifle (cut down) because it holds ten in the magazine.
Excellent for relatively short ranges - no scope but simply open sighted.
To put a scope on you need to use a side mount!
Had one and about every fifth shot I would get a eye full of gas / could never figure out why
Obviously a primer leak

@Dr Ray
Mate plenty of good bridge mounts too. Lynx Australia make them for the No1 and No4.
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
The 303 is great used as a scrub rifle (cut down) because it holds ten in the magazine.
Excellent for relatively short ranges - no scope but simply open sighted.
To put a scope on you need to use a side mount!
Had one and about every fifth shot I would get a eye full of gas / could never figure out why
Obviously a primer leak
@Dr Ray
My old 303 with a bridge mount and factory cheek rest
Bob
20200612_140018.jpg

Great old bush gun with 150 gn Speer hotcore or the old 135 grain Tipans.

I do not think, it is a good idea to use the .303 British for dangerous game.... no matter what bullet.

My next attempt is the 180 gr Sierra pro Hunter, just to figure out, if it is more accurate than the .215 Woodleigh soft point round nose.

HWL
@HWL.
Woodleigh used to make a 215grain hydrostatic stabilized solid for the 303 that would ream a brontosauras out from end to end.
Bob

An interesting piece of info.
I am fairly sure the lee Enfield has a left hand twist in the barrel which would make it far better than the right hand twist in the northern hemisphere

A very large number of very dead people and very dead animals suggest that the .303 British is very good for something.

I always thought it would be ideally suited to a break action, although I probably wouldn't buy one, even if it existed.

A very large number of very dead people and very dead animals suggest that the .303 British is very good for something.

I always thought it would be ideally suited to a break action, although I probably wouldn't buy one, even if it existed.

I would bet either because it’s a rimmed cartridge.

Actually a .280 which is slightly bigger and pretty close ( in ballistic terms) to a 7mm Rem Mag, if I recall correctly. Currently having lunch on site so do not have any references to hand.

yes the P13 was to be the 280 (from memory) and the P14 was 303, M17 30-06. I have an M17 converted to 338/358RUM. Very good rifle.

I have seen enough use of the .303 to understand it is a good, even great, caliber when employed correctly.
I have also seen the flipside, cheapskate owners, abused rifles, hunting with FMJ's, wounding, missing , "sporteriZed" , bad scope mounts.

After my 9.3 the next rifle I have my eye on is a P14 in 6mm Musgrave.

My gunsmith is just making a double from a 20 ga Merkel SxS......

HWL

some time ago i had thoughts about having my late 70,s browning BSS sporter in 20 ga. made into a 30-30 win. or a .375 win. but my late brother talked me out of it.

DSCN0050 (2).JPG
DSCN0051 (2).JPG
DSCN0052 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen enough use of the .303 to understand it is a good, even great, caliber when employed correctly.
I have also seen the flipside, cheapskate owners, abused rifles, hunting with FMJ's, wounding, missing , "sporteriZed" , bad scope mounts.

After my 9.3 the next rifle I have my eye on is a P14 in 6mm Musgrave.

I used the 303 and the 303/25 did the job but let’s face it, these cartridges were superseded many years ago.
The 303 sporterized is a great scrub rifle especially with the ten cartridge magazine and ruggedness of the action (especially the bolt).
It was designed to operate under adverse conditions.
However: I’ll stick to my beloved Sakos!

I used the 303 and the 303/25 did the job but let’s face it, these cartridges were superseded many years ago.
The 303 sporterized is a great scrub rifle especially with the ten cartridge magazine and ruggedness of the action (especially the bolt).
It was designed to operate under adverse conditions.
However: I’ll stick to my beloved Sakos!

The SMLE has certainly been superseded many years ago in the sporting field. However the 303Brit cartridge has not been superseded in performance. It has been matched for what it does. The cartridge design has been bettered for two reasons. Firstly the slope of the case body is to great in this day and age. It served a purpose when designed. Secondly the rim. Rims have some advantages but not many. The board that designed the case wanted it to be rimless but the Lord in charge mandated rimmed as he wanted to be able to use it in a double, break action or falling block rifle-I forget which.

Dr Ray would you use a Sako in 303Brit if they made one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BGP810

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well