300gr Ballistic silver tips in a 458win?

Nyala23

AH member
Reaction score
Any experimenters willing to touch on this one? Have a lot of H335, have been blessed with several boxes of this bullet. Would like to load a practice load with these components. Any advice?

I haven’t used them, would be ok in a 45/70 shooting deer I’d say or a .458Win at similar velocity doing the same on pigs & deer .

What are you thinking of doing with them ?

Plinking and deer hunting. Midway had them at a B bargain. Neither Nosler nor Hodgdon have a comment. Case is so similar to 45-70 capacity and those loads are available. Just wondering Don’t currently have grt or quickload available. Mostly a light 458 deer load. Was thinking a 67gr load should be about 2200

Nosler said up to 2500fps for base integrity. As expected performance should be more than adequate for whitetail and black bears. Should be fun!

The only data I could find in this bullet weight with H335 was for cast loads at 2000fps or slower. I didn't see anything for 300gr jacketed bullets and this powder.

Nosler said up to 2500fps for base integrity.
Nosler told you a story...........

I tested this bullet some years ago, thinking it was something to play around with in my Super Shorts. It did not test well at all in my opinion. Now, this was several years ago, maybe it is possible they changed the formula, I don't know. Not sure why they would, I would guess the bullet would do better at lower velocities of 1800 fps or so.

DSC05513-L.jpg

Using a 458 Winchester I always had great luck with reduced loads using IMR 4198. In fact, I have used IMR 4198 in many big bore reduced loads with great success, no stuffing or wads required.

I had a load a long time ago using 50/IMR 4198 and 300 gr Hornady bullets at 1971 fps in a 24 inch 458 Winchester....... You could work with and try 45-50 gr of IMR 4198 and come out in the ball park of 1800 fps or so. Velocity with most conventional bullets is not always your friend. Dropping velocity will increase bullet integrity, and increase performance on deer +. Now if you want to shoot ground hogs and such, then run it faster, you will get an explosive result on smaller critters...... but that increased velocity might give you issues with larger species.......

I am not a fan of H-335.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. Was attempting to duplicate a 45-70 loading with this bullet in a 458. With 335 nosler shows 67 gr~2300fps so that’s my top side. Case volume virtually identical. 458 case obviously more substantial. Not seeing any pressure signs but have only fired two for close inspection. Was using the 335 that I had from a prairie dog project before the Covid stopped movement and the landowner sadly subsequently passed from in 2020. Absolutely thanks again

I'm interested in your test results with H335.
I switched from H335 to IMR 4227 then to RL7 using 350 grain JHP bullets for my testing.

I'm testing in they "gray area" between 45-70 and 458WM. The area above max 45-70 (Marlin lever action) load data and below 458WM minimum load data.

First photo: Lyman Load Data for 300gr 458WM bullets

Second photo: Hornady Load Data 300gr 458WM bullets

Third photo: Sierra Load Data 300gr 458WM

20240919_114617.jpg

20240919_114411.jpg
20240919_114148.jpg

Hope this helps.

This is a great idea. Super light loads for deer/black bear and just plain fun.

As a side note I tried some nosler 458 300grain ballistic tips in a savage ML2 kept them down around 1800-1900fps. They exploded on a black bear I shot a few years ago. Still killed it, but I was not happy with bullet performance. Granted it was a 400# bear, but I sure as hell wouldn’t use them again at that speed!

Bad bullet....bad caliber.....

45-70 usage with these on whitetail haven’t shown grenading as you describe. Have been through a 1895 Ruger trapper. Shorter barrel but velocity was 1850+. Great penetration in and out both sides with obvious tracking fluid but unnecessary as trail might have been 40 feet! I’ll shoot a few and have some fun. The extra 300 fps may show a different experience. Thanks

This is a great idea. Super light loads for deer/black bear and just plain fun.

As a side note I tried some nosler 458 300grain ballistic tips in a savage ML2 kept them down around 1800-1900fps. They exploded on a black bear I shot a few years ago. Still killed it, but I was not happy with bullet performance. Granted it was a 400# bear, but I sure as hell wouldn’t use them again at that speed!
I will clarify that the bullet I mentioned nosler 300 ballistic tip is NOT the same bullet as the combined technology bullet shown and mentioned above. The one I used had a very pointed orange tip

Ok. I had forgotten that Nosler had the pointy tip still. In #9 manual it isn’t shown for 45-70 loads but I did find it on the socom loadings. My bad.

I forgot to mention in my previous thread that the C.O.A.L. requires lengthing. Published C.O A.L.s at least in my Interarms Mark X are too short to properly function.

I just threw it into quickload to see what it would say...
Specs:
H335
24" tube
COL 3.340
P max (60kpsi): 92 grains will get you 2900 fps
95% fill: 50kpsi, 2785 fps from 88grains
90% fill: 42kpsi, 2650 fps from 83grains
85% fill: 36kpsi, 2500 fps from 78grains

my thoughts on this:
1. I personally don't like going below 90% fill, so I would not use the 85% fill one unless you are jamming a wad in there or some dacron or felt.
2. 90% gives you 2650 fps.... This will shoot reasonably flat, BUT, it is going to hit WAY harder than this bullet is designed for, and due to that combined with the .458 frontage, I bet there is a ton of meat damage.

Were I you, and I am not, but if I was: I would look for a bulky powder that is somewhat snappy. I have often turned to IMR 3031 for cases like this, and throwing that into quickload came up with:

90% fill: 35kpsi, 2430fps, from 76gr. This is a load I would be more comfortable using.

Alternately, to more duplicate at 45-70, give Vhitavuori Tin Star a try. around 42 grains of that will get you going 2000 fps, at 58kpsi.

As always, work up slowly with good reloading practices. And buy quickload, it is an AMAZING tool.

Awesome! Thanks. Tried to download grt but antivirus went nuts. I don’t have tin star but do have trail boss. Yep the load density sure doesn’t add up with the quotes in the manuals. May have to source a can of 3031. I see a quick load in my future!! Thanks to JAD and all who chimed in!!

I ha
Awesome! Thanks. Tried to download grt but antivirus went nuts. I don’t have tin star but do have trail boss. Yep the load density sure doesn’t add up with the quotes in the manuals. May have to source a can of 3031. I see a quick load in my future!! Thanks to JAD and all who chimed in!!
I have used 3031 in all sorts of surprising places... From 223 to 500 Ne. It is a very useful powder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoracioSpi

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?