300 WSM for Kafue sable and roan

CopperHorns

Reaction score
Member of
SCI, DU, NSSF, QDMA, BTT, TU, IGFA
Hunted
SA, Zim
Heading over there in a month and wondered if anyone had an opinion on scope power for the rifle. I was planning on a 30 mm 2x7 power. It shoots amazingly well and provides great light. Getting 1/2-in groups with Barnes TSX. 180 grain. Any feedback is appreciated.

That combo should do great… I rarely use my optic at a magnification level above 6x unless I’m looking at a 200+ yard shot… and 300 wsm (any 300 mag for that matter) is plenty of medicine for sable and roan…

Good luck and happy hunting!

Who makes a 30 mm 2-7 scope? 2-10 or 2-12 would give you much more flexibility for what the cartridge is. If you are heading over in a month though I think you need to decide what you are using today. If you like the 2-7 with such a short time before your hunt, I’d say use it, but there are better options for next time.

Who makes a 30 mm 2-7 scope? 2-10 or 2-12 would give you much more flexibility for what the cartridge is. If you are heading over in a month though I think you need to decide what you are using today. If you like the 2-7 with such a short time before your hunt, I’d say use it, but there are better options for next time.
It's a Leupold vx-r. I've had it for 5 or 6 years and it shoots extremely well with that setup. Including recent Yukon moose.

I dont have an opinion on your scope but as there is some uncertainty in your post and time is short, do you have your gun paperwork completed and ready to go?

I dont have an opinion on your scope but as there is some uncertainty in your post and time is short, do you have your gun paperwork completed and ready to go?
Yes, thanks for asking. Everything is in the jar as they say. Done the hand loads. Everything is ready to roll just quibbling about the scope selection. I'm blessed with a range very nearby so it's easy to swap.

If you trust it, use it. I once tried to "improve" my rig, and removed an ancient tried and true Leupold 2-7X for a new 3-18X model. The "improvement" resulted in a scope that would never hold zero, has never worked correctly even after a trip back to the factory, a lost waterbuck, and hours of frustration at the range.

Yes, I do. I've been planning this for almost a year. All set on everything. Looking forward to a great trip.

I have a couple 300WSM and that’s a great cartridge. Paired with a 180 Barnes and you are good to go. 2-7 is more than enough scope - I wouldn’t change a thing

As Berettaco said, don't change a thing.
2-7 is a great magnification range for most hunting applications.

The old rule of thumb was always 1 x magnification for every 50 yards/meters.

You’re too close to your departure date to be screwing around making changes now. Just go with your current setup and you’ll be fine. A quality 180 grain bullet will do great on both of those animals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarcpbmg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

JG26Irish_2 wrote on 9412765's profile.
RE: Interarms Whitworth 375HH f/sale f/$850. If still available, I will buy it. I am in KY can do a face to face deal. My e-mail is:

kent.warco.llc@gmail.com or PM me here. Cell is: 606-923-3162

Your 5 hrs f/me. You travel to OH w/work. If you can be at Cincinnati, OH that 1/2 way. I can travel most days but Friday afternoons are best. Let's set up a date/time/location to meet up.
thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.
Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.