300 wm heavy bullet or switch up to 338 wm?

This is a group from my 300 weatherby with 200 grain nosler partitions moving 3040 fps. I feel conf that this can handle anything in North America , but my back up is a 338 rum shooting 225 accubond at 3100 fps.

Sorry forgot the picture

Was trying to decide what rifle i want to Elk hunt with this year since i didnt bow hunt and was thinking of heavy bullet in 300 wm or 338 wm? Here is the question that popped into my mind...at what point do you just go up to 338 wm as far as bullet weight goes? So...200, 225 grain 300 wm or just switch up to 338 in 225 or 250 grain?

I never really thought about it. I thought of using one of my 9.3x62s but that is an entirely different issue! LOL! Never thought i HAD to have a magnum to smoke elk as i grew up hunting them with 308 and 270's.

***ATTENTION*** You dont need to read the rest of this as its just a memory about knocking elk down with 308 and iron sights and not about the original topic! Ive knocked down elk with 308 win and 270 win. The year i was late getting back into my home town and then into elk camp because mistake was made on my leave time request i didnt have time to get to the range to test fire/sight in a rifle. I grabbed my 788 in 308 win with iron sights as i know that thing is always on. Touched one off at an old hat i had in the truck at hit where it was supposed to so i was at least confident in the 788 being in tune with the rounds i grabbed for it. Upon arriving into camp and a few toddys later, my uncles and "friends of the family" that are like uncles started giving me grief about my little ol 308 with iron sights and i listened to em churp about their magnums and 44 and 50 mm obj scopes and on and on. The only support i had was from grandfather and my uncle Jerry who used a 243 for elk on 6 or 7 different elk over the years (he was a timber faller and had shoulder issues etc). He only took bell joint shots he was sure about. Anyway, I was a young guy around 19 or 20 and back then had a quicker fuse for sure and i was determined to show em what was what. I know its long winded already so ill get to the point....think it was 3rd day and a few of us spread out and went up a decent slope with old growth timber on it. I found myself a freshly beat up freeway/trail that side hilled mountain. About 30-45 mins later i heard a shot that was one of my uncles who went about 5-600 yards further up the road before heading up the slope. Of course my eyes were wide and my attention was peaked and a few mins later i saw elk on the side hill trail i was on coming right at me and the next trail above me. I had camped my butt out above a nice sized fir tree so i was a few feet above the trail and could see both trails and elk coming right at me! Cow, cow, cow, legal button spike, cow cow cow cow rag horn 3x, cow cow cow and then nice big thick 5x5 and about then they were quick paced walking with a few still startled that were bumping into butts of the ones in front of them. The 5x5 stopped in front of smaller blow down crossing the trail and he looked back over his shoulder behind him. Yep i lifted that Rem 788 with iron sights up and i sunk that little ol 308 win 150 grain bullet right between his shoulders at base of the neck! He just about flipped onto his back with his rack landing about where his butt was just a moment before. Ill stop there but ill say i got on the radio about 5 mins later and told everybody to get over to me cuz i had elk down! I was a bit swollen up around camp that night with my chest stuck out talking a bit of chit to my uncles...and yes the beers/toddies tasted that much better! I actually had one of my uncles ask to borrow my 788 the next afternoon to go back into that darker heavy stand of timber! LOL! I let him borrow it and YES he dumped a nice size 3x5 satellite bull with that little ol 308 with iron sights! LOL!

Anyway, maybe ill just dig out a 308 with iron sights and hunt that this year! LOL!
The 200-220 gr .30s will penetrate better than the .338, as they have higher SD and V (the 300 case is a tad larger.) Also, flatter shooting due to the higher BCs. Now, the 225 and 250+ gr .338s out of a larger cased magnum and you're talking even better BCs, comparable Vs and high SD. It's not hard to kill an elk: 'Took my 1st at 80 yds w/ a .338-06 A-Sq...took a few steps and piled up! 210 gr Nos PT (Wby/Norma factory ammo-Elk on box and Rocky Mtn Elk Foundation stamp of approval!) Use the 200 or 220 gr Nos PT in your 300 and you will NOT be disappointed. Are you saying you're contemplating buying a new gun over this issue? Put $3K in a high-yield savings, CD or proven ETFs instead.
1694551485603.png

If it's an off the shelf 300 WM, stick with a 200 gr bullet. If it's custom and can take longer bullets seated farther out, go heavier. Say 220-240 gr.

The 300 WM with a good sleek bullet will have more energy down range than a 338 WM with a similar weight bullet. That said, the 338 WM is a solid thumper up close.

So, 300 WM with a 212 ELD-X if shooting to 400 yds. Or, a 338 WM with a 225 gr bullet if shooting sub 300 yds.

My wife has killed 4 bulls with her 243 using 95 gr cup and core bullets. All dropped at the shot. She is serious about shot placement and will only shoot under the best circumstances.... my rifle choice would be something that allows for worse circumstances, like when he turns and heads for the timber. Something with enough bullet and energy to penetrate his full body length. Both the 300 and the 338, with tough bullets, will do just that. Use the one you shoot the best.
Shot placement, shot placement.

The one problem with the .300 Win. Mag. (and this isn't meant to be a criticism) is the extra case capacity that it does have over the .338 Win. Mag. goes away with heavy bullets because of the seating depth usually needed. Both the .300 and .338 Win Mags were not really designed to take the long heavy bullets produced in those calibers. Lighter monometal bullets help that issue a lot because they shouldn't shed weight like a lead core. I sure have been eyeing the .30 and .338 Noslers for a long while for that reason. They should do a little better with the longer bullets. I wish they'd gain more popularity though. They are maximized for a standard length action.
.340 Wby., .338 RUM etc. will be obviously be better when a hard quartering shot is needed but, not as nice to carry and no fun to practice with when in a lighter weight "elk" rifle. Of course you could put a break on them but that has downsides too. I've been going over your exact same consideration myself for a long time already and now you've got me Jones'n for my "perfect" elk rifle again.

The one problem with the .300 Win. Mag. (and this isn't meant to be a criticism) is the extra case capacity that it does have over the .338 Win. Mag. goes away with heavy bullets because of the seating depth usually needed. Both the .300 and .338 Win Mags were not really designed to take the long heavy bullets produced in those calibers. Lighter monometal bullets help that issue a lot because they shouldn't shed weight like a lead core. I sure have been eyeing the .30 and .338 Noslers for a long while for that reason. They should do a little better with the longer bullets. I wish they'd gain more popularity though. They are maximized for a standard length action.
.340 Wby., .338 RUM etc. will be obviously be better when a hard quartering shot is needed but, not as nice to carry and no fun to practice with when in a lighter weight "elk" rifle. Of course you could put a break on them but that has downsides too. I've been going over your exact same consideration myself for a long time already and now you've got me Jones'n for my "perfect" elk rifle again.
Use a 180gr bullet in a .300WM and you can kill most PG. Use a 225gr bullet in a .338WM and you can kill the rest. Don't overthink it.

My 300WSM (another short-throated cartridge) was built on a Ruger No 1, with the throat extended to match 180 - 200 grain bullets; MVs of 3,000++. Meanwhile I have components (Brass, dies, bullets, barrel) for a 330 Norma Magnum; a suitable action should give 2900fps++ with 250s, maybe even 3,000. Should I go ahead with the "build"??

I didnt even bring in the fact that a rifle builder friend thats fairly well known turned me onto Dakota magnum calibers and i have a couple 330 Dakotas. You are very right in that it will run 250's and 300s and do so very well. In all the years of hunting ive never used one of my 338s. Didnt even have one until the last 10 years or so. Main thing is when does it make sense to jump from 300 to 338 and at what bullet weight.

Some great answers from guys who go the question. Was never a question of would one thump better then another...it was about when doest it make sense to stop loading heavy in the 300 and go to 338.
Thanks gents! Great answers! Of course we are on public ground general hunt as we didnt draw this year and this area we hunt i will be taking larger bullet/caliber with iron sights as most shots are inside of 100 in the heavy timber. Not an open range/pasture hunt by any means. A far shot if you catch on in a clear cut would be 250-300 and thats not a big deal for me still with iron sights. We will see...i have a few more weeks to decide.

Thanks again!

Big animals need heavy bullets
I recommend 338! Big difference after the shot comparing with 300 wm.

All this talk of going heavier, why not go just a little lighter with a 165 grain Barnes TTSX bullet in a 300WM to up the velocity and in turn, the energy at impact?

Considering that elk are regularly taken with 257WBY, 270WIN, 243WIN (sorry @Bob Nelson 35Whelen but it happens) and 25-06…all with bullets weighing less than 150 grains, why is there a real need to go much bigger?

At the same time, if you want a new rifle please don’t feel the need to seek any kind of approval from anyone except yourself.

All this talk of going heavier, why not go just a little lighter with a 165 grain Barnes TTSX bullet in a 300WM to up the velocity and in turn, the energy at impact?

Considering that elk are regularly taken with 257WBY, 270WIN, 243WIN (sorry @Bob Nelson 35Whelen but it happens) and 25-06…all with bullets weighing less than 150 grains, why is there a real need to go much bigger?

At the same time, if you want a new rifle please don’t feel the need to seek any kind of approval from anyone except yourself.
Except the wallet, AND the Missus!!

Velocity on big animals…maybe with solid bullets. Most of the bullets from magnum calibers when they hit a round bone the deviation after impact is considerable.

Is not as good as a .300 WM or .375 H&H!
About 14 elk taken with my Browning A Bolt in .338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM using those SUPER PREMIUM 225gr. REMINGTON CORE LOKTS would disagree with you. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DomenicTur

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?