300 wm heavy bullet or switch up to 338 wm?

she got a $100 speeding ticket just yesterday in a private housing development by non-cop cops (that i pay $100/mo for) in a glorified UTV. that said, she drives a 400 hp AWD car w/ massive brakes, tires. but i still had to lecture her like a Dad. it was a peaceful eve...lol
... and she didn't try to out-drag him? run him under?

if it makes you feel any better, mine is closer to Master of Disaster! ;)
@C.W. Richter
Look on the bright side you have plenty of stuff to fix after the disaster.
I used to call my 2nd wife Angel.
She was always up in the air harping about something.
Bob

Well, BOB could take that .35-.378 well beyond ANY published velocities using his Revisionary brand chronograph and the swirling magnetic field from the recently discovered 300 mile long asteroid impact crater that he lives above in NSW. That aside, I've loaded 70.0gr of RL15 with a 400gr Barnes original in my .416 Taylor out of my 8.5lb. Interarms Whitworth (no scope). I don't have a chronograph but I think it's a medium load because the recoil is quite milder compared to my 10.5lb scoped CZ 550 .416 Rigby shooting factory 400gr. Hornady DGSs? I think I need to bump up the Taylor load?
@CoElkHunter
Mate you have a lovely 416
What on earth do you want a itty bitty 338 fer.
The 416 will HANDLE ALL the game the 338 will then some.
You have the 25-06 and 416 no need for that 338. Just give it to a manbun owner so they can enjoy it.
Bob

He swears this upon the graves of both Oliva Newton-John, the Bee-Gees and the hole in the ground where they will dump Nicole Kidman's lifeless bod, eventually...LOL
@C.W. Richter
When Grease the movie came out she changed her name to Olivia's Rootin Jonh..
A good movie spoilt by a singer that couldn't act and an actor that couldn't sing.
John Revolting should have just stayed in welcome back Kotter, he didn't have to strain his brain or really act in that role.
Nicole Kidman does nothing for me. I don't find her at all attractive.
Bob

With a 200 grain premium bullet the .300 WM is at its best. I miss the 200 grain Swift A-Frame Remington used to load in its Safari Line of Factory ammunition. Federal used to offer a 200 grain Nosler Partition in its premium load. The reason I use a 300 WM instead of a 30-06 is that I can use a 200 grain bullet at about the same trajectory as the good old 30-06 does with 165 or 180. I don't need the extra range, I like the extra punch of those heavy bullets within the same range. I like heavy bullets. I also keep my shots within 300 yards. Thus the preference for heavy bullets. My friends like to shoot further and choose lighter bullets. Each to their own.

I am not as near the experienced hunter as many on this board. My personal experience is that heavy for caliber bullets do a good job for what they are asked to do. I may need to hunt closer than others with long range set ups, but 300 yards is within my range with my heavy bullets.

I'll likely go back to Africa for a plains game hunt with my .300 WM, ( I really want a .375........Holland and Holland.)

Everyone have fun hunting.

Last edited:
Never let the opportunity to buy a new gun slip by. I use to hunt elk with a 7mm mag and several years ago I upgrade to a 338 WM. Great caliber for elk!

A 200 gr bullet in a 300 WM will work very well also. I like Swift A-Frames.
All good calibers for sure and capable of Elk or much larger game. Question regarding your term “upgrade to .338wm” — were the Elk you took with the 7mm “less dead”? Kidding, and obviously you shoot many calibers well....anything you shoot well works. An interesting article I read years ago stated that in the .30-06 was one of the “5 most popular calibers” to hunt Elk with in the 1930s and still one of the 5 most popular in the 1990s — only in the 1930s it was the MOST powerful and in the 1990s the Least powerful. That could mean that in another 60 years a .416 Rem might be the “minimum” Elk caliber and .600 NE on the top end.

With a 200 grain premium bullet the .300 WM is at its best. I miss the 200 grain Swift A-Frame Remington used to load in its Safari Line of Factory ammunition. Federal used to offer a 200 grain Nosler Partition in its premium load. The reason I use a 300 WM instead of a 30-06 is that I can use a 200 grain bullet at about the same trajectory as the good old 30-06 does with 165 or 180. I don't need the extra range, I like the extra punch of those heavy bullets within the same range. I like heavy bullets. I also keep my shots within 300 yards. Thus the preference for heavy bullets. My friends like to shoot further and choose lighter bullets. Each to their own.

I am not as near the experienced hunter as many on this board. My personal experience is that heavy for caliber bullets do a good job for what they are asked to do. I may need to hunt closer than others with long range set ups, but 300 yards is within my range with my heavy bullets.

I'll likely go back to Africa for a plains game hunt with my .300 WM, ( I really want a .375........Holland and Holland.)

Everyone have fun hunting.
I cannot argue your logic: heavy-for-caliber bullets perform well and can add some value. I think the the term “flatter shooting” is over used and sometimes meaningless ie: a 180 gr. out of a .300WM vs. same 180 gr out of .30-06 —- even at 300 yrds is the 300WM even 2” flatter ? It makes a big difference on Prairie Dogs but not Elk. I agree with you that you get more benefit launching a heavier bullet....all you have to do is land it in the vitals !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QSGAli3189

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?