30-06 or 375 h&h for a leopards

The bullet you use is more important than the caliber/cartridge you shoot.

I’d stick with a Nosler Partition or Accubond, Trophy Bonded Bearclaw or Terminal Ascent (basically same bullet), Remington CoreLokt, Sierra Game King, Swift Scirocco, Northfork Percussion Point or whatever Hornady offers such as an Interlock. Note that I did not say Swift A Frame or Barnes TSX/TTSX. Both of those bullets will certainly do the job and have many times on leopards, but they won’t expand as quickly or large as the bullets I recommended. And rapid expansion combined with decent penetration are what is most important on leopards. They’ll do the job but the others are better choices.

I’ve shot 3 leopards, all on long multi-species hunts so the rifle I used was more general purpose than leopard specific. I shot one leopard, my biggest, with a .300 Winchester and 180 grain Partition. That cat was dead on the limb before he fell. I’ve shot 2 with my .338 Winchester and 225 grain Bearclaws. One was a Kalahari cat on the ground and he didn’t go far at all; maybe 20 yards at the most and the other also was found about 20 yards from the tree I shot him out of. Leopards are not hard to kill as long as you shoot them in the right spot with any of the bullets I’ve mentioned.

If I was going on a dedicated leopard hunt instead of a general bag hunt that includes a leopard, I’d take a 30-06 shooting a 180 grain Nosler Partition. It’s plenty of gun for any leopard.
DLSJR you are absolutely correct that the bullet is what is important.
Now here in India given the choice is very limited and the only option available as I said is 180grs soft point S&B for 30-06. Which in the past has given me satisfying results to be honest.
Moreover in 375 h&h option available is 300grs silvertips.
Now it's time to decide which out of the two will work better under a given situation.
I was also reading somewhere that 30-06 is a better choice for the leopard than the 375.
Think even Craig Boddington also mentioned it in one of his books.
Thanks and appreciate your advice.
Cheers.

Either caliber would be fine. To me the determining factor is the correct ammunition bullet and bullet placement.
I shot my leopard with a 300 Win Mag. A second piece of advice have a high quality scope for your rifle. You will probably shoot it in very low light.
Manny R the scopes are german on both the rifles. Yes will take them in low light for sure.

I shoot equally well 30-06 and 375.
I would use 375, because it makes bigger hole, makes better punch. Soft point bullet.
My choice of optics would be high end European scope, with front lense diameter 56mm for best light gathering quality.

I shoot equally well 30-06 and 375.
I would use 375, because it makes bigger hole, makes better punch. Soft point bullet.
My choice of optics would be high end European scope, with front lense diameter 56mm for best light gathering quality.
Agreed Mark-hunter.

I hope you put down this cat safely and soon. I think the scope on your 30 06 should be the deciding factor, 1.5-6x42 will be better in the low light while over the bait. Since your 375 will be on hand maybe use that for follow up while turned down to 1 power.

Take the one you are the most confortabile. Are two different calibers, recoil, weight, etc. Personally I would take .30-06 is more than enough to kill a leopard.

The shot placement on this might be of some help!
Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs. As I said before good luck and I hope that you can sort this out soon.

The shot placement on this might be of some help!
Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs. As I said before good luck and I hope that you can sort this out soon.
Please feel free to advice that's what the forum is all about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
britishproofreading

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.