3 gun rolling gun case

The protrusion on the far left is from the muzzle of my carbon barreled Weatherby Carbon Ti. The circular “dent” in the middle is obviously from the gun case being rammed against a piece of pipe that Delta probably had laying on the tarmac somewhere. The protrusion on the right is from the regulating tab (which is soldered in place between the barrels of my double rifle) being slammed into the end of my case. I raised hell with Delta and they got the Delta manager to come and tell me that “we don’t cover dents” ! I told him I wanted his business card and he said he didn’t have one on him. I said, fine, I’ll just take a photo of your employee ID tag on your neck. That’s when he wheeled around and covered it up. This pic is all I have of “Barry” from Delta Airlines at SeaTac. I am writing all of this because some of you wanted my opinion on this case after I used it a bit. I believe the case did its job well and I doubt that a polymer case would have contained the rifle barrels as well as this aluminum one did. Some of you were concerned that the protruding wheels would be fragile. I did not find this to be an issue after two safaris. However, On my recent safari to TZ, Qatar airways did find a way to grind a flat spot on one of the wheels so now it sounds like a boxcar rolling down a dilapidated track when pulling it through the airport. I added a picture of “Barry” from Delta at SeaTac just to give him some Exposure.

View attachment 636353
This is infuriating.

Accidents can and do happen. But at least the airline should stand behind their customer service and provide a solution.

However with the looks of that impact, I fear this was not an accident. That is a very considerate amount of force applied.

The idiot in the picture, should focus more on taking responsibility, rather than getting fake tans.

(2) If you ask nicely, Kalispel may be able to repair your case. Otherwise, I am told, repairing dented aluminium is quite easy: it apparently just requires heating and it will pop back into place. (I 'know' this from an insurance assessor who told me that it is how you repair an Aston Martin's bodywork.)
Heating up a sheet of aluminum will remove the temper, making it more ductile (softer) and susceptible to bending more easily in the future. I would advise against this method.

Aluminum repair is tricky. There is a reason there are automotive body shops that are “aluminum certified”. That said, this repair isn’t a major one.

I’d start a conversation with the case manufacturer about the repair and ask if you can have a certified auto shop do it and split the cost with them to save shipping.

It would most likely involve cutting out the damaged area and welding in a new piece.

@widetrackjack - Sorry this happened but glad the rifles didn’t sustain any damage.

This is infuriating.

Accidents can and do happen. But at least the airline should stand behind their customer service and provide a solution.

However with the looks of that impact, I fear this was not an accident. That is a very considerate amount of force applied.

The idiot in the picture, should focus more on taking responsibility, rather than getting fake tans.
I agree, there is nothing in the baggage handling process that would produce that dent. And your muzzles to Protrude into the outside. Looks intentional to me.

The muzzles need more protection. So next time the case is dropped on its end from 30’ in the air the muzzles can’t slide into the aluminum. And look into higher quality foam.

Can you rivet some straps to the bottom to secure the rifles from sliding into the exterior. And add more dense foam at the ends. The type used on quality running shoes should be dense enough
IMG_6256.jpeg

(1) Barry looks to be a (very obvious) homosexual.

(2) If you ask nicely, Kalispel may be able to repair your case. Otherwise, I am told, repairing dented aluminium is quite easy: it apparently just requires heating and it will pop back into place. (I 'know' this from an insurance assessor who told me that it is how you repair an Aston Martin's bodywork.)

In any case, good luck. It is teeth-grindingly infuriating that these gorillas have smashed up your case, but - thank God - at least the rifles are ok.
I’m pretty sure Barry is as queer as a three dollar bill. He was very rude and came very close to aiding me in getting my first felony assault charge. I haven’t called Kalispel yet because I wanted to wait until I got back from my recent safari. I’m sure they can repair it. I guess this is just “the cost of doing business” when you travel around the world with firearms etc… ‍♂️

Well, It’s been almost a year since I posted pics ect. of my 3-gun Kalispel case I purchased for my first African safari. I thought I would follow up with some pics and comments now that it has traveled to the dark continent twice. My safari last Oct/Nov with Ernest Dyason couldn’t have gone any better! My flight home on Delta was fine other than my gun case didn’t make the flight. (I suspected that it didn’t because I put an Apple AirTag in my gun case and the last location showed that it was still in Atlanta.) I checked with the lost baggage department and they said it was on the next flight. After waiting 2.5 hours in the SeaTac parking lot I went back in to check on my case. The attendant told me she would have it rushed to the oversize baggage department. Upon receiving my case from the Delta baggage department this is what I received. View attachment 636333

You are not going to heat that up and it magical pop out. That metal has been stretched. If it were mine, I would hammer the bottom flat. I would get a piece of 1.5"X1.5" aluminum angle, i would rivet that to the box to cover it up and reinforce it at the same time. Even if you need to use a 2"X2", it would still look good.

JMHO on an easy fix.

Looks like the round indent of a hammer head to me....

Just got off the phone with Fritz from Kalispel Case and he said they would fix my case for free since they are LIFETIME GUARANTEED! I just have to cover shipping. Now that’s what I’m talking about!

To all who are following this thread. I can’t say enough about the Kalispel Gun case company! Check out the screenshot of my most recent correspondence with Kalispel.
View attachment 636514
Awesome customer service!
And this will get a lot of views for sure. Well done Kalispel!

Just got off the phone with Fritz from Kalispel Case and he said they would fix my case for free since they are LIFETIME GUARANTEED! I just have to cover shipping. Now that’s what I’m talking about!
Perfect!! that's awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linqinggou637

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?