270 Win/ What to do?

She stays a 270 with a few upgrades like new trigger, bedding and free floating the barrel. I’m sure it will be a shooter and look forward to giving a test run and hunting with it later this year. Appreciate the input from y’all.
Yes keep it a 270 as honestly that’s one of the best cartridges ever designed and is great on game!
Buuuut when you say a new trigger do you mean a polishing and lighting the trigger pull of the trigger or replacing the Winchester trigger?

A 25-06 is the most useless cartridge I have ever owned. But, if you must have one, buy mine. I'll let it go cheap, and it is nearly new.
I didn't read the thread......but hopefully you chose something better. good shooting.........FWB

If the 270 isn’t a fit for you then maybe try 9.3x62. One of my M70’s was a straight rebarrel from a 25-06, 270 would be the same. Mine wears a lothar barrel and is my most accurate rifle.

You got a pretty well rounded collection there. The 30-06 you already have is close enough to the .270 to make it redundant. I’d think about something smaller than the 25-06 like maybe a .243.
@dougfinn
Wash your mouth out with soap mate.
You should never buy a 243 over a 25-06 or anything else for that matter.
Bob

A 25-06 is the most useless cartridge I have ever owned. But, if you must have one, buy mine. I'll let it go cheap, and it is nearly new.
I didn't read the thread......but hopefully you chose something better. good shooting.........FWB
@flatwater bill
Sorry to hear you don't like the grand old 25-06.
To me a fast 25 takes some beating on game up to big deer when loaded with good bullets. Everything I shoot with my 25 dies very quickly usually drops on the spot.
Bob

I hear ya, Bob.........if my quarry is a deer.....the 280 Rem does better. If an elk, the 280 or Whelen does waaay better. And if an antelope........the mighty 243 kills just as well as the 25-06. The 25 recoils too much for rock chucks.....can't see the hit......, there the 223 does fine. So something I own does anything better. But that's just me........Bill

I hear ya, Bob.........if my quarry is a deer.....the 280 Rem does better. If an elk, the 280 or Whelen does waaay better. And if an antelope........the mighty 243 kills just as well as the 25-06. The 25 recoils too much for rock chucks.....can't see the hit......, there the 223 does fine. So something I own does anything better. But that's just me........Bill
@flatwater bill
Have to agree mate the 280 is a fine cartridge. Pity Remington under loaded it from birth. Loaded to its potential it ain't that far behind the sexy AI version.
Have to disagree that the 243s kill just as well as the 25-06, there's nothing you can load into the 243 that will come close to the 25. The 25-06 hits harder at 400 yards than the 243 does at 200 when loaded with 100 grains. Nothing you can load into the 243 will come close to a 120 grainers in the 25 at 3,000fps. That make the 25 not far behind the venerable 270 with a 130gn and no-one I know would compare the 243 to a 270.
I'm happy you use the 243 and it works for you but it does absolutely nothing for me.
Bob

Kudos to you keeping it a 270 Win. That was my first big game rifle and I still have it in the safe. The 270 win has killed more elk than probably the fancy current cartridges put together.
Back in the we day, talking the 1970’s, Remington Corejunk was about the only choice we had in factory ammo. Today, with the advancement in powders and bullets, I think you could load up a hell of a round in the 270 to do about anything you wanted up to Moose size game.
I may just have to get mine out and work up some new loads!

You're right on with the ballistics, Bob.....as usual. But when hunting little North American pronghorn antelope, where a big one weighs 50 kg or so, the 243 does fine. An 85 grain Speer spitzer BT driven with 44 grains of 4350 will usually exit on broadside shots, leaving a hole the size of a lemon. Quartering, it reeks havoc inside. But it does not have the power of the 25-06.........Bill

Well the 270 worked quite well this evening on a nice sized doe. 161 yards, slight quartering away. Dropped dead in her tracks. Exit wound about the sizes of a peach. I was very pleased with the performance of this rifle. I knew the 270 was a great caliber. It was the first rifle I ever bought on my own in 1993. That one is a Remington 700, which I still have. No telling how many critters I’ve killed with it over the years. Now this Model 70 has joined the ranks as a bonafide killer. Believe I might just have to try this rifle again this season, just to make sure this time wasn’t a fluke.

Neither of the 2 other choices that you are considering will do anything that a 270 won't do. Nothing is more classic in a M70 than a 270.

Except shoot 175 gr bullets.

9.3x62

No Africa-capable battery of rifles is complete without one.

If that doesn't interest you, 280 AI all the way. It gives no practical ground to 270 on lighter bullets, and you have the option of shooting 170 gr (Norma Oryx) or 175 gr bullets. If you do rebarrel to 280AI, make sure you buy a 9 twist or faster. Mine has a 9.5 twist, which will stabilize almost everything, but not 175 NABLR, 175 gr TSX/TTSX, or any of the heavier Hammer bullets.

Last edited:
Nope he is Dreaming there bud lol

Funny I had a .270Win in a P&H I bought just for the action, made the mistake of shooting the donor & it was a tack driver with everything, I only had a few rounds of mixed up stuff wasn’t really a .270 fan, anyway had a bunch of 170gr Speer bullets, well loaded those & it really shoot well with them, strange as most say .270 is too slow a twist ?
Yeah, if you look at a couple of the twist calculators online, 10 twist won't stabilize anything longer/heavier than 160. Maybe yours has a 9 or 9.5 twist. That's how they should have made 270s all along

Yeah, if you look at a couple of the twist calculators online, 10 twist won't stabilize anything longer/heavier than 160. Maybe yours has a 9 or 9.5 twist. That's how they should have made 270s all along
The 270 might manage the 170 grn bullets if they are bluntish round nose. These tend to be shorter than the spitzer type bullets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnsonThompson

Latest profile posts

LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia