270 grain Barnes LRX (375 H&H) for Buffalo??

This is excellent to hear. I will give them a try. I have experienced the TSX and TTSX not shooting as well in my 300 WSM.
When I 1st started using Barnes I could not get any accuracy. Talking to a friend who is a genius reloader said seat them 50 thou deeper and it worked. Not sure why Barnes bullets like that much jump as I haven't found that with the CX.

Thank you Ridgewalker,

Bullet sectional density is simply a product of the mass of the bullet divided by its cross sectional area. The cross sectional area, when comparing 375 H&H to 375 H&H is constant. It would stand to reason a 300 grain bullet would have a greater sectional density than a 270 grain bullet because truly, what we are talking about in the 300 grain bullet is a bullet that is heavier...by 30 grains. We've come full circle.

All things being equal and assuming we're squeezing what we can out of the cartridge, the 270 grain bullet is moving with higher velocity. If it holds together, as the monolithic bullets tend to, I'd guess penetration would be better with the 270 grain bullet travelling the same path through the game animal.

As we all know, these arguments have been going on for as long as people have built metal tubes and stuffed powder and lead into them. My point was I find it interesting how absolutely convinced some folks are that 30 grains (traveling slower) make that much difference for an animal that weighs 2000 lbs.

The real question I had was about the Hornady CX and what people thought. Honestly, I'm a huge fan of Barnes bullets, but they are very difficult to find. Midway is constantly sold out of 375 caliber in Barnes and 130 grain 270 caliber LRX bullets as well. Very frustrating and I'm not sure why Barnes does not crank up production a bit to meet obvious demand. The 250 grain Hornady CX bullet looked to be very similar, so I thought I'd give it a try.
So in that case a 210gr, 235gr, 250gr travelling at even higher velocity would then penetrate deeper as we go lower in weight and increase the velocty even more?? Or is there a lower weight limit?

Kinetic energy equation describes the interaction between bullet and whatever it passes through or interacts with while in motion. The equation has a 1/2 multiplier which means an equal “push back” for lack of more sophisticated terminology. Momentum equation better describes potential for bullet penetration, in which case mass matters. :)

Saw this old thread pop up and have some input from a hunt this past summer.

Wife took a buff with a 250 TTSX at about 80 yards under skin on off side. Destroyed both lungs. Perfect performance. Blood came out of his nose before he could move.

I.would prefer to see a client come with one type of cartridge minimum 300 grn. premium soft. That way I have an idea what to expect when you press the trigger on Mr. Dagga Boy at 50 meters or less.

Saw this old thread pop up and have some input from a hunt this past summer.

Wife took a buff with a 250 TTSX at about 80 yards under skin on off side. Destroyed both lungs. Perfect performance. Blood came out of his nose before he could move.

Saw I didn’t finish this post. I backed her up with a 270 LRX out of my 375 Rum hit it above the tail. Recovered in off side shoulder. So good penetration as well.

I am very late to this post but I have used 270gr Barnes LRX bullets from my 375 RUM for buffalo in Australia with very good performance, deep penetration on frontal shot at close range and large wound channel. In Africa, so far I have always hunted buffalo with 450/400 NE double.

I am very late to this post but I have used 270gr Barnes LRX bullets from my 375 RUM for buffalo in Australia with very good performance, deep penetration on frontal shot at close range and large wound channel. In Africa, so far I have always hunted buffalo with 450/400 NE double.
How is the weight retention of 270gr lrx? Couldn't wait to try that in my 375 Rum.

How is the weight retention of 270gr lrx? Couldn't wait to try that in my 375 Rum.

On a buffalo hunt in Uganda this year I used 270 gr LRX in my 375 RUM on buffalo and other plains game. For the bullets that were recovered the weight retention was over 90% for all but one bullet and that was 80% because the pedals broke off. Bullet performance and penetration in all cases was great.

Monometal bullets are completely different from lead core bullets, that's why comparing them is difficult. Monos tend to retain nearly all of the weight and -hopefully- won't explode when hit from close range.

As mentioned,manufacturers like Barnes suggest more velocity (a lighter bullet), compared to old cup and core, for the same task.

I'm still having problems getting my head around monos - I have only developed one mono load, a 300 WM 165 (!) grain for moose. My moose trad loads are 200 Woodleigh and 220 Hammerhead... but we have lead ban right behind the corner so better adapt in time.

Shot is practically all steel,tungsten or other alternative already here in Finland.

165 TTSX shoots very accurately, 10 mm / 5 rds / 100 m @ 2950 fps. Tikka T3 Tactical. And it copper fouls my firecracked barrel heavily. Took a full box to build the load,load short oal for some jump. N550. Fed 215. You want a completely clean barrel, clean from any other jacket material,before you shoot any Barnes. Otherwise neither won't shoot accurately.

-------------

I have reserved an old nice Sako 375 H&H partly because of the lead ban. My brain wants a heavier bullet / more gun for moose and brown bear. I'm thinking 225 TTSX. Of course it's always good to have a reason for a new gun but... in this lead ban thing, I really think guns are becoming "one step weaker" so I like to step up a bit. It may all be in my head but shooting is psychology. I have a 470 NE as well.

To the topic: I would use proven 300 grain bonded in 375 H&H for buffalo. A-Frame eg. No lead ban in Africa coming yet - even though I have heard that the vultures are suffering from lead already. I bet eating copper bullets will poison vultures as well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bstrategyhub

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]