25-06 Ammo?

Fatback

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I was able to get a 25-06 recently for hunting S. GA whitetails and pigs. I have never owned a rifle chambered in this cartridge. I am looking for some quality factory loaded ammo to try out. Any recommendations/previous experiences with specific ammo for the 25-06? Thanks

I was able to get a 25-06 recently for hunting S. GA whitetails and pigs. I have never owned a rifle chambered in this cartridge. I am looking for some quality factory loaded ammo to try out. Any recommendations/previous experiences with specific ammo for the 25-06? Thanks
I have Ruger M77 in .25-06 and found almost all bullet weights were accurate (2” MOA or better) and the heavier bullets - 115-117gr well under 1” MOA (3/4” MOA AND HELD WELL OUT TO 200YRDS.).I always used the 115 or 117 bullets and found they grouped tighter and penetrated deer and bear well. I found no significant reason to use lighter weight bullets - recoil was similar and although ballistics showed the lighter bullets are 100 fps faster - there was very little difference in bullet drop out to 300 yrds....2” or less = “meaningless” in hunting situations. As a Deer Rifle, I considered the .25-06 the very definition of “enough” and penetration far better then the .243 (similar to .270). Recoil falls in between the .243 & .270. real round - Not really for Elk and marginal for Bear but plenty for any deer, use a bonded bullet — and as always: Bullet-Placement-is-ALL that Matters.

I bought my first .25-06 about six months ago. I've been using 117gr. Interlocks for practice but want to load some 120gr Partitions I bought from Midway. I really like that cartridge.

Have had stellar results with 117 interlocks, 115 and 120 partitions, 115 ballistic tips, and 120 fusions. All on game up to and including cow elk. Shots from bow range to over 350.

I have used 100 ballistic tips, but up close they create quite a splash”, but kill effectively.

I’ve been using the .25/06 in rifles for about 40 years and single shot handguns for about 20 years. A solid round. I’ve used 100 and 117gr Sierras, 100gr Hornady, 115gr Nosler PT and 100gr Barnes TSX, all with great results.

117gr or 120 reliable bullet like a partition, kill every 200lb+ whitetail or huge south Georgia hog anywhere, been there
You know, I never owned a .30-06 rifle. I know "sacrilege", but I bought a .270 Win instead when I was a teenager. But I really like the .25-06 and NOW maybe would buy an '06. Weird how things change over time?

Appreciate the replies. I was at the gun shop today ordering some scope rings and picked up a box of Hornaday 117 grain interlocks to try. I’ve shot 180 grain Nosler partitions out of my 30 win mag with awesome results on everything I’ve shot with it. So I’d like to try some Nosler Partitions in this 25-06. Mark Biggerstaff is going to check and see what he has available in the shop tomorrow and I’ll probably pick up a couple of other offerings from him to try as well. Anybody else with some insight into cartridge selection for this caliber, please feel free to chime in. This is such a wonderful community with great insights and experiences that folks don’t mind sharing and I am very grateful for that.

Appreciate the replies. I was at the gun shop today ordering some scope rings and picked up a box of Hornaday 117 grain interlocks to try. I’ve shot 180 grain Nosler partitions out of my 30 win mag with awesome results on everything I’ve shot with it. So I’d like to try some Nosler Partitions in this 25-06. Mark Biggerstaff is going to check and see what he has available in the shop tomorrow and I’ll probably pick up a couple of other offerings from him to try as well. Anybody else with some insight into cartridge selection for this caliber, please feel free to chime in. This is such a wonderful community with great insights and experiences that folks don’t mind sharing and I am very grateful for that.
+1 on your post, but especially your last sentence. Members like Mark and many others with the sharing of their experience and expertise, is why I really enjoy being on this forum. I've learned more about rifles and ammo in the five years I've been on here than the previous 25+ years of hunting big game.

+1 on your post, but especially your last sentence. Members like Mark and many others with the sharing of their experience and expertise, is why I really enjoy being on this forum. I've learned more about rifles and ammo in the five years I've been on here than the previous 25+ years of hunting big game.
@CoElkHunter
You may have learnt heaps in the lat 5 years mate BUT y'all still need to git rid of that thar 338WM thingy and git yersef a 35 Whelen.
That way you will have a nice 25-06 and a fantastic 35.
Bob

@Fatback
You have a brilliant caliber in the 25-06.
For varmit busting a nice 85 or 90 grainer at 3,500fps will reach way way out and discombooberate them.
A good 100gn can be loaded to 3,400fps safely and a 100gn TTSX will shoot flat as a shit carters hat.
3 inches high at 100yds will give you a 300yd zero and less than a 10 inch drop at 400yrds. A back line hold will take care of deer out to 450 odd yards.
The 115s,117s snd 120grainers are excellent bullets, at over 3,000fps and don't overlook the good ol 117grain Hornady round nose.

With my 25 I have to be careful with shot placement. A neck shot fallow with a 117grain SST almost decapitated the animal and bruises meat down to between the shoulders.
I used a 100gn speer boat tail ONCE and when I skin the deer out the entire off side shoulder came off. It was just jelly. My 25 is a lot faster than a 25-06 tho. Over 3,600fps for 100 grainers and over 3,300fps for 115 to 120 grains.
If you want to preserve meat go for a just behind the shoulder shot with non bonded cup and core. With that shot they drop as if electrocuted.
The 25-06 is a brilliant cartridge that more people need to re discover.
Bob

@CoElkHunter
You may have learnt heaps in the lat 5 years mate BUT y'all still need to git rid of that thar 338WM thingy and git yersef a 35 Whelen.
That way you will have a nice 25-06 and a fantastic 35.
Bob
Bob,
If I necked up the .338 to .35, wouldn't that be close to a .358 Norma?
CEH

@Fatback see what's available and give something a go.

Unless you want a specific case to reload or want to buy a specific projectile in a factory round start with a cost effective and available round and see if it's accurate in your rifle.

If you cant choose a projectile weight go in the medium range and test it for accuracy the performance on game.

Really no wrong answer just some might prove better options.

@Fatback
You have a brilliant caliber in the 25-06.
For varmit busting a nice 85 or 90 grainer at 3,500fps will reach way way out and discombooberate them.
A good 100gn can be loaded to 3,400fps safely and a 100gn TTSX will shoot flat as a shit carters hat.
3 inches high at 100yds will give you a 300yd zero and less than a 10 inch drop at 400yrds. A back line hold will take care of deer out to 450 odd yards.
The 115s,117s snd 120grainers are excellent bullets, at over 3,000fps and don't overlook the good ol 117grain Hornady round nose.

With my 25 I have to be careful with shot placement. A neck shot fallow with a 117grain SST almost decapitated the animal and bruises meat down to between the shoulders.
I used a 100gn speer boat tail ONCE and when I skin the deer out the entire off side shoulder came off. It was just jelly. My 25 is a lot faster than a 25-06 tho. Over 3,600fps for 100 grainers and over 3,300fps for 115 to 120 grains.
If you want to preserve meat go for a just behind the shoulder shot with non bonded cup and core. With that shot they drop as if electrocuted.
The 25-06 is a brilliant cartridge that more people need to re discover.
Bob
Bob — BOB, very disappointed to see you writing about hot ballistic charts and screaming fps loads etc/!! I thought you were a member of the Old Guard ? and unimpressed by meaningless ballistic “data” —a believer in “bullet placement is what really matters” etc..? Yes yes, the .25-06 charts some decent numbers and it is based off a classic round - one of the greatest of ALL time (.30-06). But, it will never “be” a classic round and can’t live up to it’s DAD because there’s only one “original”. So, before we degenerate into even more meaningless marketing jargon and start sounding like Outdoor writers “selling” rifles (6.5 Needmore or .270 WSM etc..) let’s take a pause and remember our foundational/classic roots. Now, go apologize to your .35 Whelen before it’s action rusts from tears of shame...

Got these coming from Mark Biggerstaff to try in my new rifle. Thanks Mark. Also have a box of Hornady 117 grain interlocks to try. Hopefully the rifle will really like one of these offerings and I can stock up and shoot a few critters with this rifle. Appreciate all of the input, thanks.
71811928372__D6F1BA14-496E-40ED-9492-B3D6EAD4BD76.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XeroAxis

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]