25-06 Ammo?

I have a RUGER No. 1 in 25-'06. It will shoot sub .5" MOA with RL22 and Nosler 115 grain BTs.

Nevada Mike,

What kind of performance on game are you getting from the Nosler BTs? I’ve never shot a ballistic tip cartridge so I have no idea how they preform. Thanks

Nevada Mike,

What kind of performance on game are you getting from the Nosler BTs? I’ve never shot a ballistic tip cartridge so I have no idea how they preform. Thanks
The 25-'06 is relatively new to me and I have not used it on game yet. I live in Coues deer country and planned to use the 115 BT on these very slightly built whitetails. I want something that is accurate and will open up when used at extended ranges. This looks like it will do the job, but the proof is in the pudding.

Appreciate the info Nevada Mike. Our South GA whitetails aren’t much bigger than a coues deer I don’t think. I probably won’t be shooting over 300 yards so not sure if BT will be the best choice. A lot will depend on which load shoots the best out of the rifle once I get a chance to shoot it.

I shot a coues buck at 420 yards with a hand load using a Barnes 100 grain TTSX at 3300 fps.

The bullet punched a nice hole through it and he died right where he was standing.

Appreciate the info Nevada Mike. Our South GA whitetails aren’t much bigger than a coues deer I don’t think. I probably won’t be shooting over 300 yards so not sure if BT will be the best choice. A lot will depend on which load shoots the best out of the rifle once I get a chance to shoot it.
A bullet that is potentially as frangible as the Ballistic Tip is a compromise between use at high velocity and low velocity. On small whitetails it may do well at either high or low velocity. At least I hope so.

I usually use a tougher bullet but I want a DRT in the cover at long range and I hope the Nosler BT will do this in the 25-'06.

Last edited:
Bob — BOB, very disappointed to see you writing about hot ballistic charts and screaming fps loads etc/!! I thought you were a member of the Old Guard ? and unimpressed by meaningless ballistic “data” —a believer in “bullet placement is what really matters” etc..? Yes yes, the .25-06 charts some decent numbers and it is based off a classic round - one of the greatest of ALL time (.30-06). But, it will never “be” a classic round and can’t live up to it’s DAD because there’s only one “original”. So, before we degenerate into even more meaningless marketing jargon and start sounding like Outdoor writers “selling” rifles (6.5 Needmore or .270 WSM etc..) let’s take a pause and remember our foundational/classic roots. Now, go apologize to your .35 Whelen before it’s action rusts from tears of shame...
@hank Buck
I'm an avid (read mad) lover of the 25 cals. Hell even the little 250 Savage is a better HUNTING round than that pussant 243.
Fast 25s like the 25-06 are absolutely brilliant dual purpose cartridges. The 25 Roberts loaded to its potential isn't to far behind the 25-06 either.
25s just seem to kill. Look at what @One Day did with a fast 25 and 100gn TTSX in Africa, a lot of one shot kills and pass thru penetration.

Fear not the old Whelen will never get rust on it as when I hunt BOTH the 25 and 35 go with me.

There's just something about the 25s and 35s. They just seem to kill very effectively and efficiently.
Bob

I shot a coues buck at 420 yards with a hand load using a Barnes 100 grain TTSX at 3300 fps.

The bullet punched a nice hole through it and he died right where he was standing.
@JimP Imagine what that TTSX will do at 3,600fps. Two and a half inches high at 100yds, zero at 300 and 8" low at 400yrds. Now that's flat shooting. More energy at 400 than the 243 can manage at 200.
I rest my case for a 25 over a 243.
Bob

A bullet that is potentially as frangible as the Ballistic Tip is a compromise between use at high velocity and low velocity. On small whitetails it may do well at either high or low velocity. At least I hope so.

I usually use a tougher bullet but I want a DRT in the cover at long range and I hope the Nosler BT will do this in the 25-'06.
@Nevada Mike
Have you tried the 117grain SST.
Brilliant deer bullet up close and way out yonder. PLUS a lot cheaper than the balistict tip.
In my 25 the balistic tip is 0.8 inches and the SST is 0.9 inch groups at 200 yards so not enough to worry about.
I have used the SST on pigs, goats and deer and all have been bang flops.
Bob

@Nevada Mike
Have you tried the 117grain SST.

I have used the SST on pigs, goats and deer
exact same opinion and usage of the 117 SST. Feral TX hogs, Wyoming speed goats, and plenty of KS and TX whitetails. Most dropped in their tracks. Only a handful made it up to 50 yards. None went further than that.

Two and a half inches high at 100yds, zero at 300 and 8" low at 400yrds. Now that's flat shooting. More energy at 400 than the 243 can manage at 200.
I keep a 300 yard zero on mine (117 SSTs). Had a pronghorn at 437 yards facing straight on to me, with minimal wind (amazingly).

Put the crosshairs on her nose and drove it straight through the heart.

I keep a 300 yard zero on mine (117 SSTs). Had a pronghorn at 437 yards facing straight on to me, with minimal wind (amazingly).

Put the crosshairs on her nose and drove it straight through the heart.
@Tbitty
My 25 with 117grain SST is 2.5 inches at 100yds and spot on other 270yds and 13 inches low at 400.
That's with a starting velocity of a bit over 3,300fps.
Bob

@Tbitty
My 25 with 117grain SST is 2.5 inches at 100yds and spot on other 270yds and 13 inches low at 400.
That's with a starting velocity of a bit over 3,300fps.
Bob
Well Bob, if you'd ever build your .25 Samurai wildcat, you'd be getting 3,600fps! LOL

I got a lotta love for the 25-06. For mine I’ve settled on the 100 grain Barnes TTSX bullet & H-4831sc . My rifle is a TC Prohunter.

My best bud likes either the 117 grain Hornady SST or the Sierra 117 grain btsp and Reloader 22.
His rifle is a Mauser 98 I built up for him after I finished gunsmith school a few years back.

I got a lotta love for the 25-06. For mine I’ve settled on the 100 grain Barnes TTSX bullet & H-4831sc . My rifle is a TC Prohunter.

My best bud likes either the 117 grain Hornady SST or the Sierra 117 grain btsp and Reloader 22.
His rifle is a Mauser 98 I built up for him after I finished gunsmith school a few years back.
@GOX6
Have you tried H4350. Gives great velocity upto 3,400fps and great accuracy.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fgrttuyty673

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]