2 Gun Combo

Two shotguns, neither of which is all that waterfowl capable, and still no .22lr? Don't be so hard on yourself--you need more! (just like me)
I'm very unlikely to ever actually end up in this position. Just making the point that I don't believe I'd be lacking (for the hunting that I do) if I did. You're certainly right, everyone needs a 22 or five. However, I just don't shoot the ones that I own very much at all.

I will strongly disagree on the capability of the 20 gauge on waterfowl. I've been shooting a left handed Benelli M2 20ga exclusively for ducks and geese the last two seasons, with BOSS copper plated bismuth & I've never once felt under gunned or lacking whatsoever. Most especially when compared with a 12ga loaded with steel shot. I don't ever plan to purchase another single round of steel shot, unless there is literally no other option. Modern ammunition has changed the game!

Two shotguns, neither of which is all that waterfowl capable, and still no .22lr? Don't be so hard on yourself--you need more! (just like me)
I have more.

6.5 Grendel, 5.56 NATO, and.300 Blackout but they are in the AR platform. Just not something I care to hunt with. Also have some “tactical” shotguns and a lever action 45-70.

As for pistols and revolvers I got quite a few. I even have one in .41 Magnum with a scope for hunting. I don’t mind some of the newer cartridges but my hunting rifles have to be a controlled route feed left handed bolt with the exception of the lever action 45-70. I also have a .338 Win Mag so I reckon my four gun battery is 6.5 Creedmoor, .338 Win Mag, and .375 Ruger and 45-70 at the moment.

I prefer the .338WM over the.300WM and anything I would use the .300WM for I use the .338WM.

100% false unless you're trolling. I'm new here, so I'm not sure how often that happens here.

Hornady has specifically stated it's for precision long range. Even the name "creedmoor" is a precision shooting brand after which it is named.

I love 6.5 Creedmoor haters. They always cite the "man bun cult of Creedmoor" but I have yet to meet a fanatic lover, only fanatic haters.
Yes I’m a Troll lol Ask everyone on the forum I’m a troll…

Yes it was developed as a long range target round that is optimized for the AR!

Attachments

A couple of days ago, on YouTube, I watched a Hornady podcast specifically regarding the development of the 6.5CM:

On this podcast the 3 guys that most responsible for developing the cartridge discuss its evolution from an idea to its finished form. It was very informative and interesting. It wasn't developed for the AR platform, it was developed as a lighter recoiling long-range target round. It did, however, hit the AR platforms quick as DPMS (I believe) felt it would work perfectly in their platform...and they were right.

If you're the least bit interested in the cartridge's actual beginnings, watching the engineer and ballistician that created it is the best place to start...

Yes I’m a Troll lol Ask everyone on the forum I’m a troll…

Yes it was developed as a long range target round that is optimized for the AR!

None of those articles back up your claims. They even say in the articles that the 6.5 Creed was designed for precision long range.

Nothing, not once, did any of those sources say that is was designed for the AR platform specifically... Or even hints at it.

That's like saying the 308 was designed for the AR. Just because its a short action and chambered for it, naturally, doesn't mean it was initially made for it.

And now claiming "but it's optimized" for the AR is not what you initially claimed. It's okay to say you were just popping off and now back pedaling. Don't double down, chief.

I think if you want to cover the world and never be under gunned you need to swap the 6.5 out for something a bit bigger.

IMO that’d be a 30 Cal of some sort (.308, 30-06, 300WM, 300PRC, 300Wby, 300H&H). In a bolt action there are only 3 calibers where I’d consider dropping down below 30 cal, since I feel they punch above their weight class and perform well at distance beyond your medium bore 375. They’re 257wby, 7x57, or 280AI.

I do feel everyone should own a Rimfire 22LR, plus an AR in .223 and some sort of lever action.

I think if you want to cover the world and never be under gunned you need to swap the 6.5 out for something a bit bigger.

IMO that’d be a 30 Cal of some sort (.308, 30-06, 300WM, 300PRC, 300Wby, 300H&H). In a bolt action there are only 3 calibers where I’d consider dropping down below 30 cal, since I feel they punch above their weight class and perform well at distance beyond your medium bore 375. They’re 257wby, 7x57, or 280AI.

I do feel everyone should own a Rimfire 22LR, plus an AR in .223 and some sort of lever action.
I added the .338WM to the battery for a three gun battery.

So it’s the following:

6.5 Creedmoor (coyote to deer)
.338WM (deer to brown bear)
.375 Ruger (deer to cape buffalo)

I also have a 45-70 Marlin and various AR’s for bipedal adversaries, prairie dogs and coyotes. I don’t shoot game over 400 Yards but practice out to 600 Yards frequently. The 45-70 is for coyotes, stray dogs that are chasing cattle, and a camp rifle in brown bear country.

Neophyte, when I take a 2-gun battery to Africa, it’s almost always my .338 Winchester and .416 Hoffman. A 338 & 416 makes a great 2-gun battery.

But next year, if I take 2 guns on a Zambian hunt I have booked, it’ll probably my .264 Winchester & .375 H&H. So that kinda like your 6.5 & 375, only better! :ROFLMAO:

I added the .338WM to the battery for a three gun battery.

So it’s the following:

6.5 Creedmoor (coyote to deer)
.338WM (deer to brown bear)
.375 Ruger (deer to cape buffalo)

I also have a 45-70 Marlin and various AR’s for bipedal adversaries, prairie dogs and coyotes. I don’t shoot game over 400 Yards but practice out to 600 Yards frequently. The 45-70 is for coyotes, stray dogs that are chasing cattle, and a camp rifle in brown bear country.
I’d say you have your basis covered. The 338WM is a great caliber. I just sold one preferring the 300WM due to more diversity in factory ammo choices and a better chance of finding factory ammo should something happen to mine.

Is it odd that I think I'd have an easier time picking a "one rifle to rule them all" as opposed to a two or three rifle arsenal.

Something about the freedom of choice makes it harder to weigh options.

The more I think, the more I think 270 and 375 H&H would be decent.

I’ll be leaving in 7 days for Zim with a 30-06 and 458 Win Mag in tow. I’ll be looking for buffalo, spotted hyena and possibly so PG, depending on how the buff hunting goes. I’ve been shooting both quite a bit in preparation for this hunt and I am confident that as long as I do my job then the rifles and bullets will do theirs.

I’ll be leaving in 7 days for Zim with a 30-06 and 458 Win Mag in tow. I’ll be looking for buffalo, spotted hyena and possibly so PG, depending on how the buff hunting goes. I’ve been shooting both quite a bit in preparation for this hunt and I am confident that as long as I do my job then the rifles and bullets will do theirs.
Good luck!
Let us know how it goes.

My two gun is 375 H&H and 06, but I also have a 300WM barrel. That said I train with 308 and 223 for cost reasons. And plinking is 22 & 22 Hornet. The R8 makes this easy.

Nothing wrong with 338 it just won’t get you to Africa

@Neophyte - Have you given any thought to the Blaser R8 platform?

You could have one stock to cover all three calibers and if you kept them in the same bolt head size, it would make it even easier.

I'd stay with the magnum bolt head and get the 375H&H, 300WM and 257WBY. Add in a 22lr kit for plinking, varmints and practice. Or sub in the 338WM for the 300WM.

Let’s not forget 7mm RM. I think is a strong case for it

@Neophyte - Have you given any thought to the Blaser R8 platform?

You could have one stock to cover all three calibers and if you kept them in the same bolt head size, it would make it even easier.

I'd stay with the magnum bolt head and get the 375H&H, 300WM and 257WBY. Add in a 22lr kit for plinking, varmints and practice. Or sub in the 338WM for the 300WM.
I prefer three position safeties and controlled round feed. I don’t think Blaser offers those options.

Blaser uses a decocking style safety that is arguably one of the safest in the industry.
As far as CRF is concerned, technically the R8 is a push feed action but the video shows that it will cycle cartridges upside down with no concerns.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lvchristiano

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!