AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
Hi everyone. I was watching a youtube clip the other night, and I have seen it a few times on different videos, where a hunter took his buffalo after a stalk and then followed up immediately on another buff. Obviously he wanted to take 2 bulls but I somehow can’t see the fun on a double rise buffalo. I would dearly love to hunt the second on a hunt of its own just to satisfy my hunting urge.
Just curious as to the thoughts of others?

I completely agree. The stalk is the hunt. The shooting. The climax.

My first bull was with archery equipment. I made it clear to my PH. I had no interest in sitting in a blind overwater. It had to be a stalk.

I told him if the bow hunt did not pan out, I would borrow his double rifle and shoot one with a rifle on a stalk.

I wouldn’t want to shoot both at once - unless the situation called for it out of necessity. The stalk is the fun part, sneaking up to 20-30 yards without being detected is what gets the adrenaline going.

I've done it twice with buffalo cows. It's magic!!!! Double the adrenaline!

In some areas where you can legally take more than two buffalo (Uganda comes to mind) can see taking two at one jump. But in an area where two is the total bag, no thank you

This sort of situation is most common on a full bag safari in Tanzania. There, both the PH and his client are likely trying to take multiple dangerous game species. Buffalo are often targeted first because they will provide the sort of large bait necessary to attract and hold lions. Typically, the client will have two on license. An opportunity to fulfill both tags is not something to be wasted when the lion, leopard, or elephant can use up much of the available hunting time. Depending upon the concessions, travel time may be required between areas further reducing actual hunting days.

Taking a brace of dugga boys out of a group or 3 or so is a dream of mine. I see it as a exciting opportunity and a fun challenge that adds some adrenaline.

Different strokes for different folks.

I guess some already have their hunt planned out a certain way in their head. I’m an opportunist and would never pass on two trophies if I had the chance.

There’s nothing “to easy” about it
You take your good luck!

This sort of situation is most common on a full bag safari in Tanzania. There, both the PH and his client are likely trying to take multiple dangerous game species. Buffalo are often targeted first because they will provide the sort of large bait necessary to attract and hold lions. Typically, the client will have two on license. An opportunity to fulfill both tags is not something to be wasted when the lion, leopard, or elephant can use up much of the available hunting time. Depending upon the concessions, travel time may be required between areas further reducing actual hunting days.
Red Leg makes excellent points. The only clarification I’d add, especially since he mentions Tanzania, is that 16-days is required to hunt leopard and that gives you 3-buffalo on license and a lion hunt requires 21-days and then you get 4-buffalo. These hunts require a lot of bait, so shooting 2 at once isn’t an unreasonable prospect. I actually did a version of this two buffalo at once last year in the Selous, except that my son shot the first bull and I shot the 2nd one. That was really cool to do together.

Maybe the guy was a Pheasant hunter and just wanted to add another double to the list. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mksportcasa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]