1979 Model 70 458wm supergrade parts wanted-rear sight with base and front sight blade

malcome83

Reaction score
I recently acquired a 1979 Winchester Model 70 458wm Supergrade. It's missing the rear sight and sight mount. Also need the front sight blade and hood. Everywhere online I've looked is sold out with no backorder. Wanting factory style sights. If anyone has what I'm looking for please let me know. I'd be happy to buy and pay shipping

I recently acquired a 1979 Winchester Model 70 458wm Supergrade. It's missing the rear sight and sight mount. Also need the front sight blade and hood. Everywhere online I've looked is sold out with no backorder. Wanting factory style sights. If anyone has what I'm looking for please let me know. I'd be happy to buy and pay shipping
Is the rear sight base attached to the barrel with a single screw?

I have Winchester Safari Express sights on both my 98 Mauser 404J and Springfield plains game rifle. These actually were Williams front sight ramps, beads, and hoods. I just replaced both beads and front ramp for 404J last week. Ordered them direct from Williams and delivered in three days. I suspect Williams may have made the rear sights as well but they don't make that exact model now.

Last edited:
I would if my rifle had sights on it. They were removed by the previous owner. Only the it has is the base for the front sight blade. I want oem style for a 1979 model 70 supergrade

I would if my rifle had sights on it. They were removed by the previous owner. Only the it has is the base for the front sight blade. I want oem style for a 1979 model 70 supergrade
Is the front sight barrel band or ramp style? If it is ramp, it may be Williams and would take their standard front bead sight that presses in from right side. Caliper the screw spread for rear sight. That may be of assistance for finding what you need. Lots of iron sights are floating around and come up for sale on eBay. Its where I found both sets for my two rifles. Both were used but like new. Often vendors pick up stuff at estate sales, gun shows, etc without knowing what gun they came off of.

I will check them out
Is the front sight barrel band or ramp style? If it is ramp, it may be Williams and would take their standard front bead sight that presses in from right side. Caliper the screw spread for rear sight. That may be of assistance for finding what you need. Lots of iron sights are floating around and come up for sale on eBay. Its where I found both sets for my two rifles. Both were used but like new. Often vendors pick up stuff at estate sales, gun shows, etc without knowing what gun they came off of.
I'll check them out

I have Winchester Safari Express sights on both my 98 Mauser 404J and Springfield plains game rifle. These actually were Williams front sight ramps, beads, and hoods. I just replaced both beads and front ramp for 404J last week. Ordered them direct from Williams and delivered in three days. I suspect Williams may have made the rear sights as well but they don't make that exact model now.

Screenshot_20240829_210551_eBay.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Call Lee's Gun Parts, 3401 Pioneer Dr., Irving, TX 75061
PH # 972-790-0773
They have had some mighty esoteric parts for me.

Would you by chance know the height of the factory sights on my model 70? I found front sights in stock. The heights are .260,.290 and .375

Would you by chance know the height of the factory sights on my model 70? I found front sights in stock. The heights are .260,.290 and .375
You appear to have a different rear sight. Possibly entirely different both rear and front. Also, I have no idea what was barrel taper/thickness of either of the rifles my sights came from. For what it's worth the front bead on the set of sights I put on my 404 was 1/4" or ~0.260". The front bead for same Winchester Safari Express sights I put on my 30-06 was Williams 5/16" or 0.312". I changed to a lower ramp for 404 because I ran out of vertical adjustment for rear sight and 1/4" is the lowest bead they make. The 30-06 Springfield had highest ramp Williams makes but I needed higher so replaced the 0.312" bead with 0.343".

Does the bead push in from the side of ramp or the front? Are the heights you are quoting bead and ramp or just bead?

Last edited:
Call Lee's Gun Parts, 3401 Pioneer Dr., Irving, TX 75061
PH # 972-790-0773
They have had some mighty esoteric parts for me.
I’ve lived in the area for 17 years and never knew they existed. Thanks for sharing

You appear to have a different rear sight. Possibly entirely different both rear and front. Also, I have no idea what was barrel taper/thickness of either of the rifles my sights came from. For what it's worth the front bead on the set of sights I put on my 404 was 1/4" or ~0.260". The front bead for same Winchester Safari Express sights I put on my 30-06 was Williams 5/16" or 0.312". I changed to a lower ramp for 404 because I ran out of vertical adjustment for rear sight and 1/4" is the lowest bead they make. The 30-06 Springfield had highest ramp Williams makes but I needed higher so replaced the 0.312" bead with 0.343".

Does the bead push in from the side of ramp or the front? Are the heights you are quoting bead and ramp or just bead?
It pushes in from the side

Screenshot_20240901_063902_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarriKawam

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]