19 year old shoots wolf in self defense!

I’ve been helping my brother-in-law with bear bait in northern Minnesota over the last several weeks and the trail cameras show a pack of five wolves coming into the bait regularly. Its no farther than ~1000 yards from the nearest home. Its isnt something that we experienced last year or the year before. We had a very mild winter last year in Minnesota along with a very wet spring and I suspect that is contributed to an increase in the population this year.
Here are some pictures from my brother-in-law‘s trail camera:

IMG_0937.jpeg
IMG_0936.jpeg
IMG_0938.jpeg

With witnesses in the area hopefully it’s no issue other than a bit of a fright or a reminder to be aware.

My personal preference backwoods load is Buffalo bores 45 ACP +p 250 grain super hard cast. Perfect 8 shot medicine from a hk 45c.
I have those too and load them in my Glock 21. They’re actually 255gr. and shoot real well.

This is an hour or so north of me. People go unarmed in the woods up here, even in wolf hot spots. I just don't get it. It probably won't happen, but what if it does?

The Post and title sent shivers in my spine as a parent of hunters. Can you imagine raising kids, hoping for a promising life, and they end up killing a wolf or a grizzly in self defense in a leftist region of the nation? Yeah, they'd get by easier being accused of rape or arson.

Last year we had a Mountain Lion prowling around our house. It was seen several times, ultimately it showed aggression to a bowhunter at 20 yards that arrowed it around 20 miles from here. Thankfully, the DNR in my State did a thorough and speedy investigation determining self-defense was reasonable, and the citizenry agreed.

The Post and title sent shivers in my spine as a parent of hunters. Can you imagine raising kids, hoping for a promising life, and they end up killing a wolf or a grizzly in self defense in a leftist region of the nation? Yeah, they'd get by easier being accused of rape or arson.

Last year we had a Mountain Lion prowling around our house. It was seen several times, ultimately it showed aggression to a bowhunter at 20 yards that arrowed it around 20 miles from here. Thankfully, the DNR in my State did a thorough and speedy investigation determining self-defense was reasonable, and the citizenry agreed.

It's pretty much the same conundrum as dealing with an intruder in your house in the wrong state. At what point and how much self defense do you use? Even here in WI I have enough self awareness to pick my moment in a situation like this. In this case eye witnesses and point blank trauma leaves no doubt.

You never know when you'll run into something either. Last year, just a few weeks after getting my lab pup I decided to take him out on a hike on some public land bordering the river just 7 or 8 minutes from my house. This is my normal spot to get some exercise and get the dogs out. Great grouse hunting and fishing as well. It's also a wolf packs territory but I have never seen one face to face, just tracks all over the place. Being a 3-4 month old pup I obviously considered it best to have him on a lead and my terrier free to roam as per usual. He's always e-collared for a quick and forceful recall if necessary. Well, just 2 minutes into our walk and not 200 ft from the truck I looked up from the road surface where I had been scanning for tracks to see a wolf crossing right to left maybe 50 ft in front of us. I never would have guessed that that would be the day I would run into one. And boy was I happy the pup was on a lead.

Of course when we got to the spot where it crossed, the terrier, now on a leash as well, sounded off like his life depended on it when he smelled that thing. Not too smart.

Wolves in the Great Lakes region are a problem that will only get worse. Minnesota is second to only Alaska in wolf population. There are twice as many wolves in Minnesota as there are in the third place state, Idaho. Wisconsin, where this story comes from, has the 5th highest wolf population, nearly tied with Montana. So, Wisconsin has pretty much the same number of wolves as a state that is 3 times the size! Oh, and Wisconsin has over 5 times as many people as Montana.

Wolves are federally protected in Minnesota, Michigan, and Wisconsin, but not in Idaho or Montana. This is what happens when judges and bureaucrats in Washington DC make wildlife policy.

Having spent my life in the mountain West with black bears, cougars,and wolves I still maintain the biggest danger is driving to where you hunt, thousands are killed on the highways.

SSS

Having spent my life in the mountain West with black bears, cougars,and wolves I still maintain the biggest danger is driving to where you hunt, thousands are killed on the highways.

Of course. While on the road you protect yourself with seat belts, appropriate speeds, lights, awareness, etc. Just because you made it to your hunting spot safe doesn't mean you stop protecting yourself. These kids are living proof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfredPerc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia