Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
nra life member
Hunted
south africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambque, australia, New Zealand AK, VA, TN, NM, CO KS, SD, MT (USA)
Does anyone have any 16 ga 2 1/2 inch ammo for sale. Or can trade some 9.3 x 72 R ammo or new brass. Thanks

You could roll your own. My MEC reloader has a quarter inch shim, which results in 2 1/2 inch shells. I usually have to use a wad without cushion section in order to shoot a very heavy load at all. But nothing really difficult compared to regular reloading. If you are lucky, you can sometimes pick up once fired 16 ga hulls at the range, or just order some new ones. Very generous of you to offer 9.3x72 brass--it is almost worth its weight in gold. (unfortunately I no longer shoot that caliber) Reloading also allows you to use plated shot, w which you will not find in factory 2 1/2 shells to my knowledge. Good luck

RST Shot Shells sells 2 ½ 16 gauge...

Thanks but they are out/not making-supplu prblems

You could roll your own. My MEC reloader has a quarter inch shim, which results in 2 1/2 inch shells. I usually have to use a wad without cushion section in order to shoot a very heavy load at all. But nothing really difficult compared to regular reloading. If you are lucky, you can sometimes pick up once fired 16 ga hulls at the range, or just order some new ones. Very generous of you to offer 9.3x72 brass--it is almost worth its weight in gold. (unfortunately I no longer shoot that caliber) Reloading also allows you to use plated shot, w which you will not find in factory 2 1/2 shells to my knowledge. Good luck
Thanks but I do not reload-may need tto get someone to help teach me. Thanks

Smokepole

I have owned a 2-1/2" 16 gauge SxS and used it upland bird hunting for years. I reload for all my guns.

There are two viable approaches to loading for this short chambered gun:

1. Start with "2-1/2 inch" hulls and attempt to duplicate a British load such as Eley or Westley Richards within the proof tolerance of you gun (probably one ounce). You can collect original short hulls, or cut 2-3/4" hulls to the right length. There are tools for sale for cutting hulls or you can simply make one - see below:
Hull Cutter.jpg

Also know that 2-1/2" hulls are actually only 1/8" to 1/16" shorter than a 2-3/4" hull. So measure before you cut. Buy a MEC single stage loader (the Sizemaster is a good loader) and buy a 'short kit' for it. Next, locate load data and components. Assemble loads. Been there, bought the T shirt.

The other approach: This is what I do now. LOAD 2-3/4" HULLS WITH REDUCED PRESSURE LOADS WITHIN THE PROOF LIMITS OF YOUR GUN. Before everyone gets excited and declares this "unsafe", I advise a careful reading of Gough Thomas and Sherman Bell on the subject. Pressure increases in a 2-1/2" chambered gun firing 2-3/4" hulls WITH THE SAME LOADS is zero to very tiny.

I load and shoot reduced pressure loads in my short 16 bore using Federal 209P primers, WAA16 hulls, Remington R16 wads, SR7625 powder and 7/8 or one ounce of shot. These loads work perfectly in my Harkom 2-1/2" chambered 16b and will not harm the gun in any way. I am sure that other components will work as well. Velocity is about 1140 fps. Birds die. Targets break. And with far less work and fooling around.

I do the same thing with my short chambered 12b and 20b guns.

Last edited:
I found 12 ga 2 1/2 inch shells at Lucky Gunner, and their customer service was fantastic (I had a less pleasant experience with RST).

I found 12 ga 2 1/2 inch shells at Lucky Gunner, and their customer service was fantastic (I had a less pleasant experience with RST).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.54.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.54.34 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 110
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.54.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.54.38 AM.png
    477.8 KB · Views: 93
Polywad has undergone some drama in the last few years and has essentially been out of business for that time. Unless something has changed recently, you won't find any new stock shotshells from them.

There are some RST 8s currently on Gunbroker along with these-
Westley Richards 16ga

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.55.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.55.16 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 115
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.55.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.55.17 AM.png
    619.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.55.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.55.21 AM.png
    644.1 KB · Views: 84
Thanks but they are out/not making-supplu prblems
Yes... Ammo shortages all over. I'd say make your own, but powder shortages too, so...

Best I can say is see if anyone that stocks RST has any on the shelf. My only thought there being it's not "high demand", so it might be the only stuff left. Then again, as not high demand, it may not be stocked in the first place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeramyHead

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!