100% Success Rate?

When most RSA hunts are advertised as "come shoot X animals in Y days" then people's expectations go high to 100% certainty.

You can find many examples of those types of advertisements on this very site.

So if say for example a Zimbabwe outfitter who hunts leopard advertises that they’ve had 100% success rate over the last number of years, is that similar? Especially if the situation is that they’ve taken their quota each of those years, but leave out that this was accomplished by X number of hunters, where not all were successful and the taking of the entire quota required additional hunters to do so.

This, what many of us where describing in our words, is also defined in some hunters education programs.
100% must, is part of psychology of beginner.

So less then 100% kill success means evolution of individual hunters personality, that grows with time and experience.

My comments are below italic in brackets. the rest is qouted. Will put a link below for the source, but similar descriptions can be found elsewhere with different schools.

• The five stages of hunter development are:
    • Shooting Stage
    • Limiting-Out Stage
    • Trophy Stage
    • Method Stage
    • Sportsman Stage
Shooting stage: (shoot anything)
The priority is getting off a shot, rather than patiently waiting for a good shot. This eagerness to shoot can lead to bad decisions that endanger others. A combination of target practice and mentoring helps most hunters move quickly out of this stage.

Limiting out stage (fill up legal limit, is must)
Success is determined by bagging the limit. In extreme cases, this need to limit out also can cause hunters to take unsafe shots. Spending time with more mature hunters helps people grow out of this phase.

(first two phases can also be typical for many hunters first time visiting Africa. they want all and want it now)

Trophy stage - selective hunter
The hunter is selective and judges success by quality rather than quantity. Typically, the focus is on big game. Anything that doesn’t measure up to the desired trophy is ignored.

(after first few "begginers safaris, somebody wants at least minimum non fenced 45 inch buffalo? or free roaming leopard? or 60 inch kudu? this is not 100% guaranteed hunt)

Method stage - success is hunting by choosing a method. How?
In this stage, the process of hunting becomes the focus. A hunter may still want to limit out but places a higher priority on how it’s accomplished.

(ethical hunt, stalking, tracking, exclusively by bow, specific animal? not guaranteed)

Sportsman stage
Success is measured by the total experience—the appreciation of the out-of-doors and the animal being hunted, the process of the hunt, and the companionship of other hunters.
(enjoying the time on African hunting fields, taking what Africa offers, cultural experiences etc)

Final stage: work in the community, mentoring, and returning to nature and to community
Part of the process of becoming a true, responsible sportsman is becoming involved in efforts to make hunting a respected sport.

(take a friend hunting with you, let him shoot first, tell him about hunting, mentor him)

• That includes teaching proper knowledge and skills to others, working with landowners, and cooperating with wildlife officials.
  • It also includes joining conservation organizations dedicated to improving habitat and management efforts. Young hunters can be involved by joining organizations such as 4-H, Boy Scouts, and Girl Scouts, as well as by participating in wildlife projects in their local communities.
  • Responsible, ethical behavior and personal involvement are both essential to the survival of hunting. How you behave and how other people see you will determine whether hunting will continue as a sport.

source...

Very well stated.

for Africa, on a Pg hunt, 100% chance of a shot opportunity would seem very, very common. It is not that way in NA.
being able to advertise that 100% of clients have filled tags, that is helpful for booking a hunt. But it is worth it to ask for more details on how that is calculated.

This, what many of us where describing in our words, is also defined in some hunters education programs.
100% must, is part of psychology of beginner.

So less then 100% kill success means evolution of individual hunters personality, that grows with time and experience.

My comments are below italic in brackets. the rest is qouted. Will put a link below for the source, but similar descriptions can be found elsewhere with different schools.

• The five stages of hunter development are:
    • Shooting Stage
    • Limiting-Out Stage
    • Trophy Stage
    • Method Stage
    • Sportsman Stage
Shooting stage: (shoot anything)
The priority is getting off a shot, rather than patiently waiting for a good shot. This eagerness to shoot can lead to bad decisions that endanger others. A combination of target practice and mentoring helps most hunters move quickly out of this stage.

Limiting out stage (fill up legal limit, is must)
Success is determined by bagging the limit. In extreme cases, this need to limit out also can cause hunters to take unsafe shots. Spending time with more mature hunters helps people grow out of this phase.

(first two phases can also be typical for many hunters first time visiting Africa. they want all and want it now)

Trophy stage - selective hunter
The hunter is selective and judges success by quality rather than quantity. Typically, the focus is on big game. Anything that doesn’t measure up to the desired trophy is ignored.

(after first few "begginers safaris, somebody wants at least minimum non fenced 45 inch buffalo? or free roaming leopard? or 60 inch kudu? this is not 100% guaranteed hunt)

Method stage - success is hunting by choosing a method. How?
In this stage, the process of hunting becomes the focus. A hunter may still want to limit out but places a higher priority on how it’s accomplished.

(ethical hunt, stalking, tracking, exclusively by bow, specific animal? not guaranteed)

Sportsman stage
Success is measured by the total experience—the appreciation of the out-of-doors and the animal being hunted, the process of the hunt, and the companionship of other hunters.
(enjoying the time on African hunting fields, taking what Africa offers, cultural experiences etc)

Final stage: work in the community, mentoring, and returning to nature and to community
Part of the process of becoming a true, responsible sportsman is becoming involved in efforts to make hunting a respected sport.

(take a friend hunting with you, let him shoot first, tell him about hunting, mentor him)

• That includes teaching proper knowledge and skills to others, working with landowners, and cooperating with wildlife officials.
  • It also includes joining conservation organizations dedicated to improving habitat and management efforts. Young hunters can be involved by joining organizations such as 4-H, Boy Scouts, and Girl Scouts, as well as by participating in wildlife projects in their local communities.
  • Responsible, ethical behavior and personal involvement are both essential to the survival of hunting. How you behave and how other people see you will determine whether hunting will continue as a sport.

source...

I always thought this to be a steaming pile of crap.

As happy to melt my barrel on a cull hunt, and help get someone else a deer.

Guess I havent progressed enough as a true sportsman. What a joke.

Humans naturally seek a 100% success rate. When does seeking a 100% success rate become unsporting? This question can go one hundred different ways. Some of which are:
- Should a hunter hone their skills, equipment, etc..., so that they expect 100% success?
- Should a hunter seek to improve their skills to the point that they can guarantee 100% success when they they go hunting, when they pull the trigger, etc...
- Should an outfitter/ph/hunter expect a 100% success rate on a package deal?
- Does high fence hunting guarantee a 100% success rate? If so, when?
- Could a hunter/PH's knowledge of their quarry and hunting area guarantee 100% success rate in a free range area?
Essentially when does seeking a 100% success rate become unsporting, and when/if should hunters limit themselves to make hunting sporting?
For me, a 100% guarantee of a kill (no kill, no pay) is of no interest. The only way you could do that would be in a small enclosure, and by its nature would be unsporting. If, however, an outfitter, guide, professional hunter says that his hunters have had a 100% shot opportunity over X number of years, I would see that as a good thing. I do in fact want to take the animal in question, and having really good odds to take the game under fair - chase conditions is good.

A few years back, my cousin bought a young meat cow bison from a ranch in Colorado. He and his friend went out to the ranch to pick up the meat as these guys said that the butchering was included. They ran the cow into a small pen and told my cousin to shoot it. He asked why, and was told that they were licensed as a "hunting" operation and the "hunter" was required to kill the animal. He, his brother and I grew up around cattle and are life long hunters so aren't squeamish, so he.killed the cow, but hunting it isn't. Of course, his brother and I got a lot of mileage out of it, comparing his "hunt" to my taking a cape buffalo. He was a little embarrassed about the situation. That is a 100% guaranteed hunt. Other types of high fence operations might be a little better, but I have avoided them.

Depends on how success is defined, the animal and the area.

On a wilderness elk hunt, we are happy with 50% harvest success and thrilled with anything higher but the trip is 100% successful for the overall experience. Wilderness elk are fickle and tough to hunt. Harvest success is never assured but the difficulty also adds to the challenge and enjoyment.

For pronghorn antelope, it’s not a question as to killing a buck as much as how big. Success is assured if you’re not picky. On a pronghorn hunt, we enjoy evaluating lots of bucks for length, prong length and mass and finally finding one that checks all three boxes, or maybe two of the three boxes. This is probably similar to a lot of PG hunts in Africa.

For bighorn sheep, our harvest success rate is 90% and would be 100% if not for marksmanship and hunter physical conditioning issues.

The animal, area and experience all come into play.

In RSA, Namibia, Botswana on fenced properties - 100% success is guaranteed on representative specimens of all most everything I’ve hunted. Only a shyster couldn’t produce at least one good shot in a 7 day hunt or your the most unlucky hunter ever. I would say the only possible exceptions would be Val Rhebuck, Suni, Sharpes Grysbuck in SA. Maybe red Duiker SA.
Now once your looking for Rowland Ward class all bets off.
I’m still looking for a 55” kudu. Hopefully Botswana in the rut!!

Outfitter should provide opportunity but the one on the trigger is making the success. Passing and waiting on bigger is also a success, known as tag soup. I do not like that soup but it happens

Outfitter should provide opportunity but the one on the trigger is making the success. Passing and waiting on bigger is also a success, known as tag soup. I do not like that soup but it happens.
Good points. Tag soup is also when you hunt and don't have the opportunity to kill (harvest) the animal. Elk hunting would be my best examples of tag soup. When I first began hunting elk in 2005 I did not harvest an elk. Every year I ate tag soup until 2012 when I harvested my first elk. Then in 2015 I harvested my next elk. Since 2017 I have harvested an elk every year. So I have enjoyed a 100% success rate over the past seven years. This is no accident. Elk hunting is one of the most difficult types of hunting in the American west. I was able to achieve 100% success over the last seven seasons because I developed my elk knowledge, unit draw knowledge (better tags - higher hunter success rate areas), shooting equipment, archery equipment, and elk calling ability. All of these skills have helped me avoid tag soup.

Last edited:
I have considered most of my hunting trips in the last 30 or so years to be 100% successful.

If I have a chance to shoot the animal that I am after I consider that a success, if I pull the trigger or not has nothing to do with it. But if I would of and I could of made a clean kill then I consider it a success.

Over the years my idea of what I want to shoot has changed. I now longer have to hunt for meat so I can pass on a number of animals that others would of shot in a heartbeat.

My summer nemesis, the ol' Pennsylvania groundhog has been known to severely crimp my percentage. One boar last summer gave me the slip two times before I finally was able to tell the farmer I got him. For that week, three days afield, my success rate withered to 33%.
Back on task, venues can advertise X amount of animals in X amount of days but if the person on the trigger isn't up to snuff, 100% success is just wishful thinking.

I’m still looking for a 55” kudu. Hopefully Botswana in the rut!!
Should come to Nyakasanga, Zimbabwe where I took my 59 5/8" Kudu. We did see a few in the 55"+ range (according to PH, I can't judge from distance) earlier though we just did not have a shot at them.
1677975901591.png

Should come to Nyakasanga, Zimbabwe where I took my 59 5/8" Kudu. We did see a few in the 55"+ range (according to PH, I can't judge from distance) earlier though we just did not have a shot at them.
View attachment 520930

Nyakasanga is on the list. Great spot for leopard without lights as well.

View attachment 520930
Was that your first kudu?

Was that your first kudu?
Yes. In 2021, I had 5 days left for PG at Dande East after leopard, tuskless and buffalo, and did not get a shot at a Kudu or a Zebra. I guess this will be my first and last Kudu as it would be tough to top.

After Nyakasanga and Zambia last year I think I am done with trophy PG except for bait. I will keep shooting Zebras for rugs though.

Just the idea or concept of a 100% hunt doesn’t even compute. I really feel fortunate to have grown up hunting big game (mule deer) in extremely rough country on marginal public land where mule deer densities have always been low. The ratio of success to days hunted and miles walked was low and expected to be so. I am thankful for those circumstances which provided me some perspective over the 64 years I’ve hunted big game.

Ruffed grouse are my humbling hunt. I am pretty sure I have never finished a season above 50%. On grouse and that is as it should be. It is the enjoyment of being a part of nature that gives me pleasure.

Good points. Tag soup is also when you hunt and don't have the opportunity to kill (harvest) the animal. Elk hunting would be my best examples of tag soup. When I first began hunting elk in 2005 I did not harvest an elk. Every year I ate tag soup until 2012 when I harvested my first elk. Then in 2015 I harvested my next elk. Since 2017 I have harvested an elk every year. So I have enjoyed a 100% success rate over the past seven years. This is no accident. Elk hunting is one of the most difficult types of hunting in the American west. I was able to achieve 100% success over the last seven seasons because I developed my elk knowledge, unit draw knowledge (better tags - higher hunter success rate areas), shooting equipment, archery equipment, and elk calling ability. All of these skills have helped me avoid tag soup.
Yes, it takes effort and experience to successfully hunt elk year in and year out. Most people don’t make the effort. I was unsuccessful my first year but learned a lot. I got a bull each year after that and then started guiding after five years. To consistently kill a nice bull elk on public land is the toughest feat in North American hunting. Congrats to you!

Yes, it takes effort and experience to successfully hunt elk year in and year out. Most people don’t make the effort. I was unsuccessful my first year but learned a lot. I got a bull each year after that and then started guiding after five years. To consistently kill a nice bull elk on public land is the toughest feat in North American hunting. Congrats to you!

Curious Scott, would you rate elk tougher than a mature mulie buck? I loved hunting them both when I lived in WY. Government issue 4x4’s were not that tough, but a truly big mulie was something else altogether.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharleneHa

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!