TANZANIA: Rungwa Game Reserve

My leopard, buffalo…… from Zambia June 22 just got to Houston last week, my Cameroon trophies from Jan 23 are just now being shipped, it just takes a while

June 2022
Jan 2023

My leopard, buffalo…… from Zambia June 22 just got to Houston last week, my Cameroon trophies from Jan 23 are just now being shipped, it just takes a while
I got'ta say that improved my evening, Thanks.

Thanks for the great report, sounds like a perfect hunt, fingers crossed you will get your trophies. I am looking for a trip where some will hunt PG only, I might want a buffalo, and that the same want there to be plenty of DG around just for the experience. Seems DG is there, in Rungwa, and some PG too, but I am bit unsure if there is enough PG, whatever enough means, for PG hunters only, perhaps visibility is too poor, or there are too few? Any take on this?

Thanks for the great report, sounds like a perfect hunt, fingers crossed you will get your trophies. I am looking for a trip where some will hunt PG only, I might want a buffalo, and that the same want there to be plenty of DG around just for the experience. Seems DG is there, in Rungwa, and some PG too, but I am bit unsure if there is enough PG, whatever enough means, for PG hunters only, perhaps visibility is too poor, or there are too few? Any take on this?
Great report, great detail. Would you hunt there again? Is there a contact for this outfitter? Thanks in advance.

I can only speak from my actual experience. Since you've read my report you probably understand that it has just about everything in terms of species, that's not the issue. Although Rungwa has a wide variety of game for people who are looking for a plains game hunt in fairly open country this is probably not the place. For the most part Rungwa is covered with forest. The animals are there but you will not see large herds from which to choose a trophy. There are a few open areas such as where we got our Hartebeest and Warthog but other than that the Kudu, giraffe, elephant, etc., were in the forest. One day we came across what looked like a lone buffalo but when we came up on it there was a heard of about 50 that we did not see. Anyway, I love hunting were I did. Being forested added another element to the experience.

Asante sana Rafiki, really good and detailed information. I will discuss it with my friend, perhaps I can convince him, would really like to hunt in Tanzania! And I think he would also value the overall experience, and difficult humts, more than huge herds, we will see.

I can only speak from my actual experience. Since you've read my report you probably understand that it has just about everything in terms of species, that's not the issue. Although Rungwa has a wide variety of game for people who are looking for a plains game hunt in fairly open country this is probably not the place. For the most part Rungwa is covered with forest. The animals are there but you will not see large herds from which to choose a trophy. There are a few open areas such as where we got our Hartebeest and Warthog but other than that the Kudu, giraffe, elephant, etc., were in the forest. One day we came across what looked like a lone buffalo but when we came up on it there was a heard of about 50 that we did not see. Anyway, I love hunting were I did. Being forested added another element to the experience.
Thanks, that's the type of hunt I want.

Did you see many elephants?

Did you see many elephants?
Actually quite a few and there was sign of their presence everywhere; poop and mangled trees. A few days we had to remove trees and brush blocking the path of the truck, and one day we just followed their route heading back to camp.

Great report, Like the detail. Congrats on two great bulls. Tanzania is a special place to hunt.

Actually quite a few and there was sign of their presence everywhere; poop and mangled trees. A few days we had to remove trees and brush blocking the path of the truck, and one day we just followed their route heading back to camp.
How bad were the Tsetse Flies?

How bad were the Tsetse Flies?
There were swarms confined to some areas but in others nothing nothing. I really have no idea why there would be on one place vs another. Where we had encounters with them I was sure happy to have repellent that worked, those suckers can bite.

Good to hear from you Lance.

I have not and it's got me a bit irritated. Licky and I have always had a good relationship, or at least I think we have, but this is straining that relationship. I talk & text with him regularly and he knows I'm getting antsy about it. I also talk with other family members, just a few minutes ago actually.

Tim, at WTA wanted me and I guess some others to put together some detail, send it to him a he would try and sort it out. I have not done that because I think I will have better luck by continuing our relationship. I assume that you are going the WTA route. Please keep me informed of your progress.

I also talk with Don Hutson, the other hunter in our merry camp. He got his trophy months ago.

Good to hear from you, hope you and Jill are well.
Yes, we are working with Tim at WTA but have made zero progress on getting our buffalo trophy back in the US after 18 months. He stopped responding to our email requests for status updates. Beyond irritated at this point! Any luck with your trophies from Licky?

Yes, we are working with Tim at WTA but have made zero progress on getting our buffalo trophy back in the US after 18 months. He stopped responding to our email requests for status updates. Beyond irritated at this point! Any luck with your trophies from Licky?
Not yet, I'll let you know if I find out anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoannaHamb

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.