TANZANIA: Rungwa Game Reserve

Well done on a safari done right and nice shooting. Sounds like the trip we all dream of. I’m in transit for my buffalo hunt as I type and your tale has certainly got the blood pumping. Cheers

What a grand experience! Thanks for sharing it and an excellent report!

Sounds like a great hunt, great write up, thank you for sharing it, in regards to your old style buffalo hunt, several years ago I looked into a buffalo hunt the old way, wanted to use my Shiloh 45/70 but was not able to pull it off, I believe it was in South Dakota or Nebraska

Awesome buffalo, and glad you had a great hunt

Great report...and your TZ observations align with my own on a hunt last Sept-Oct in Luwati North - near Rungwa. Very nice buff you took as well.

Some of the biggest buffalo I have ever seen came from Rungwa. Good choice!

Some people have expressed an interest in the rifle so I've attached a couple pictures. The custom work was done by several gunsmiths. The "project rifle" was acquired from GunBroker.com It was originally a No 1 Tropical in 458WM; couldn't believe that I won the bid for $600. When It arrived I found that the wood was to my liking so scratched the idea of a new Turkish Walnut stock.

The barrel was made by McGowen Precision Barrels. It is a 25" Dodecagon (12-sided) pipe with a 1:20 twist, and wears a NECG front ramp. I decided to keep the much maligned Ruger folding rear sight as it suits me well.

It was sent off to Steve Nelson Custom Guns for the metal work. Steve, crafted a new recessed safety and worked on the feed ramp to improve the ejection of those big rimmed cartridges. He also "jeweled" the block, installed the front sight and crafted the barrel mounted sling stud.

I had a Jard 3-1/2lb trigger installed and gold plated. I like this trigger quite a bit, it is vastly simpler that the Ruger trigger.

I had Turnbull Restorations do the engraving and Case Color, they are simply the best and good people to work with.

I had the Alex Henry replaced with ebony that suits me better.

The last image is of the installation of a barrel mounted recoil lug. 2-weeks before heading to Tanzania I was at the range doing some testing and the fore-end disconnected from the rifle. The problem was that the tip of the hanger where the fore-end screw attaches broke off under recoil. The barrel is so fat that McGowen had to shave off some of the top of the hanger to screw the thing on. I called my gunsmith who got it done and I was back at the range 3-days later.
Beautiful rifle

Some people have expressed an interest in the rifle so I've attached a couple pictures. The custom work was done by several gunsmiths. The "project rifle" was acquired from GunBroker.com It was originally a No 1 Tropical in 458WM; couldn't believe that I won the bid for $600. When It arrived I found that the wood was to my liking so scratched the idea of a new Turkish Walnut stock.

The barrel was made by McGowen Precision Barrels. It is a 25" Dodecagon (12-sided) pipe with a 1:20 twist, and wears a NECG front ramp. I decided to keep the much maligned Ruger folding rear sight as it suits me well.

It was sent off to Steve Nelson Custom Guns for the metal work. Steve, crafted a new recessed safety and worked on the feed ramp to improve the ejection of those big rimmed cartridges. He also "jeweled" the block, installed the front sight and crafted the barrel mounted sling stud.

I had a Jard 3-1/2lb trigger installed and gold plated. I like this trigger quite a bit, it is vastly simpler that the Ruger trigger.

I had Turnbull Restorations do the engraving and Case Color, they are simply the best and good people to work with.

I had the Alex Henry replaced with ebony that suits me better.

The last image is of the installation of a barrel mounted recoil lug. 2-weeks before heading to Tanzania I was at the range doing some testing and the fore-end disconnected from the rifle. The problem was that the tip of the hanger where the fore-end screw attaches broke off under recoil. The barrel is so fat that McGowen had to shave off some of the top of the hanger to screw the thing on. I called my gunsmith who got it done and I was back at the range 3-days later.

That is a truly unique and beautiful rifle sir!

From the perspective of the other person (Don Hutson) there it was an unbelievable experience. And a great part of this time was to get to be there with him in camp and As a friend that i speak to almost daily now about what we shared and the plans to do more. Experiences like this last well beyond the harvest.

The question for those of us that are older now is how do we pass the experience part of hunting that Rafiki and I had to the next couple generations in such a way as to preserve it so those who come after us will have a place to do so.

Seems to be a worthy project.

What outfit did you end up going with Bruce. Did you post anything on it? I'd be very much interested.
I hunted with KNS. Here's a link to my report:
Bruce

Thanks for sharing and very nice buffalos. Tanzania is on my bucket list.

Well done on a safari done right and nice shooting. Sounds like the trip we all dream of. I’m in transit for my buffalo hunt as I type and your tale has certainly got the blood pumping. Cheers
You surely to contact Licky for such an experience too!!

Such a beautiful report. Amazing details I almost felt like I was there with you. Cheers to many more

Glad you had a great hunt Rafiki. The Greater Ruaha Ecosystem is a special place that is still wild once you get away from the villages along the perimeter roads.

Thanks for the report.

Hi John, it's your fellow hunters Lance & Jill Morrow! Nice write up on your safari. Just wondering if you have got your trophies back to the USA (we haven't)? WTA is supposed to be working on it but, so far, we are buffalo-less here at home.

Great report, any Masai plains game?

Hi John, it's your fellow hunters Lance & Jill Morrow! Nice write up on your safari. Just wondering if you have got your trophies back to the USA (we haven't)? WTA is supposed to be working on it but, so far, we are buffalo-less here at home.
Good to hear from you Lance.

I have not and it's got me a bit irritated. Licky and I have always had a good relationship, or at least I think we have, but this is straining that relationship. I talk & text with him regularly and he knows I'm getting antsy about it. I also talk with other family members, just a few minutes ago actually.

Tim, at WTA wanted me and I guess some others to put together some detail, send it to him a he would try and sort it out. I have not done that because I think I will have better luck by continuing our relationship. I assume that you are going the WTA route. Please keep me informed of your progress.

I also talk with Don Hutson, the other hunter in our merry camp. He got his trophy months ago.

Good to hear from you, hope you and Jill are well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
41On

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.