Simple question, complicated answer perhaps?

Hendo

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
For those that have one, how did you find an international hunting partner?

Married her.

For those that have one, how did you find an international hunting partner?
lol!!! I have seen the following answers about marriage. Are you talking about just a fellow hunter who you hunt in Africa with? If so, you will find them in two places as I have: 1. On this forum through reading through postings and getting a feel for a person. 2. At Hunting conferences such as DSC and SCI.

Ha! Married mine, in Dallas!

Maybe more the answer -

Be involved where like-minded people regularly gather for dinner, hands-on projects, or 'competition'. There could well be a club or chapter in your area that: has monthly meetings; youth hunts or events they sponsor; fundraisers; other elbow-grease activities.

Show up. Roll up (your sleeves).

Next thing you know, you and one (or some) of your new friends are off on an adventure.

Ha! Married mine, in Dallas!
Damn!! I have to move to Dallas?? If I found another woman that loved to hunt as much as I do, I'd be on one knee in an instant! My first date with my wife she went black bear hunting with me.. and went with me for the next 36 years until I lost her...

Simple. Be friendly and easy going. Everybody will want to go hunting with you.

When I hunted in Tanzania in 1978, we had a South Carolina gentleman in camp by the name of Dave Bourban. He had a tattoo of the American confederate flag on each of his forearms and spoke with a strong Southern accent. If modern leftist tabloid journalists took just one look at the man, then they would immediately declare him to be the stereotypical racist. In reality, I found Dave to be anything but. He was a true gent in every sense of the word. Extremely friendly with me, our white hunters and even the trackers and coolies. He had brought along 2 rifles on Safari: a custom made .375 Holland & Holland Magnum built on a Remington Model 30 Express action and a Belgium made boxlock ejector double rifle in .458 Winchester Magnum (a guild gun). During one of our evening campfire chats after a long day of hunting eland, I casually mentioned to him that I had always dreamt of hunting dangerous game in Africa with a double rifle someday. Dave immediately told me “Habib, I’ll be mighty pleased if you bag your Cape buffalo with my .458 double. Don’t worry about me. I can get by with my .375 bolt gun just fine for the rest of my Safari. “ I was greatly taken aback by Dave’s kindness. I did succeed in securing a huge Cape buffalo with Dave’s double rifle on that very safari, and thus my dream of being able to pursue dangerous game with a double rifle was fulfilled.
IMG_1789.jpeg

Dave & I became best friends for life and he was like a brother to me. We went together on many safaris and international hunting expeditions over the years. Whenever we used to go on safari to South Africa, he would always treat me at Wimpy (my favorite fast food outlet in RSA).
IMG_1404.jpeg

Unfortunately, he succumbed to the Chinese Virus during the pandemic of 2020. He was the epitome of “Southern Gentleman“ and I miss him greatly. In his entire life, I never saw Dave mistreat a single person. He would give you the shirt off his back, if he saw that you didn’t have one.

His son, Lester is also an avid hunter and he & I have gone on two safaris together as well. I stay at his family home whenever I visit South Carolina. I have another safari planned with him in 2025 to Zambia. He has inherited his father’s affable nature.
IMG_1355.jpeg

Last edited:
Problem is finding someone who is willing to spend the money, a lot of guys are all for it until they have to pony up.

Simple. Be friendly and easy going. Everybody will want to go hunting with you.

When I hunted in Tanzania in 1978, we had a South Carolina gentleman in camp by the name of Dave Bourban. He had a tattoo of the American confederate flag on each of his forearms and spoke with a strong Southern accent. If modern leftist tabloid journalists took just one look at the man, then they would immediately declare him to be the stereotypical racist. In reality, I found Dave to be anything but. He was a true gent in every sense of the word. Extremely friendly with me, our white hunters and even the trackers and coolies. He had brought along 2 rifles on Safari: a custom made .375 Holland & Holland Magnum built on a Remington Model 30 Express action and a Belgium made boxlock ejector double rifle in .458 Winchester Magnum (a guild gun). During one of our evening campfire chats after a long day of hunting eland, I casually mentioned to him that I had always dreamt of hunting dangerous game in Africa with a double rifle someday. Dave immediately told me “Habib, I’ll be mighty pleased if you bag your Cape buffalo with my .458 double. Don’t worry about me. I can get by with my .375 bolt gun just fine for the rest of my Safari. “ I was greatly taken aback by Dave’s kindness. I did succeed in securing a huge Cape buffalo with Dave’s double rifle on that very safari, and thus my dream of being able to pursue dangerous game with a double rifle was fulfilled.
View attachment 589056
Dave & I became best friends for life and he was like a brother to me. We went together on many safaris and international hunting expeditions over the years. Whenever we used to go on safari to South Africa, he would always treat me at Wimpy (my favorite fast food outlet in RSA).
View attachment 589057
Unfortunately, he succumbed to the Chinese Virus during the pandemic of 2020. He was the epitome of “Southern Gentleman“ and I miss him greatly. In his entire life, I never saw Dave mistreat a single person. He would give you the shirt off his back, if he saw that you didn’t have one.

His son, Lester is also an avid hunter and he & I have gone on two safaris together as well. I stay at his family home whenever I visit South Carolina. I have another safari planned with him in 2025 to Zambia. He has inherited his father’s affable nature.View attachment 589058
Great photos thanks for sharing them

Problem is finding someone who is willing to spend the money, a lot of guys are all for it until they have to pony up.
Exactly right. I have several hunting partners, but few have the desire to hunt internationally. I guess they could be catergorized as more "casual" hunters.

I was just more curious of how/if you all travel with others then your spouse?

I do an annual trip to Canada for waterfowl and met that group via the telephone. Merely lucked into that group. And no, they are waterfowl hunters only.

I get your question. None of my childhood friends, like zero, have both the money and the actual desire (the "follow through" to their bs stated over a beer about hunting Africa, Argentina, etc) to make hunting in another country happen.

The path I went down was I finally stopped "waiting" for them and currently, I have met the right people (money and desire) through DSC, some training courses (e.g.FTW) and through my work actually.

Also, my teenage son loves to hunt so he is my go to currently (kind of easy to make that work). Lastly, I also just go solo sometimes. I have found if you get along with your PH/guide, it is about the same thing. This is especially true once you find one you are aligned with, hunt with them multiple times. Most all hunters I have met anywhere in the world are like minded, it is great. Lastly, you may also find someone through your taxidermist, if you ever bump into his other clients. Cheers

I do not much care for them. Have always had great experiences with my PH's and guides.

For the more exotic hunts I would agree.. its going to be hard to find someone willing to pony up the sort of cash it takes to chase Elephant or Bongo, or even Sable, etc.. if they havent done an international hunt before..

But at this point I've organized group hunts for the last 4 years running, taking guys to South Africa for basic plains game (wildebeest, warthog, impala, etc).. and have been able to introduce several people to hunting in Africa on a budget that is comparable to what they'd have spent if they did a week at Disney (not cheap, but well within reach of the typical middle class American if they plan a little bit)..

Several of those guys have since returned to Africa, hunted a second time (I think one is headed over this summer for his 3rd visit) and expanded their horizons a good bit, chasing kudu, sable, buffalo, etc..

I think the key is showing people that Africa can actually be affordable.. If they want to drop $25K for a 10 day hunt, that certainly can happen.. but for $8K all in (airfare, taxidermy, etc) is a pretty easy "sell" to friends that would love to hunt Africa, but always thought it was out of reach... a husband/wife combo can pretty easily spend a week on a nice property and have a really fun hunt for that price if they plan properly.. which is on par with what most would spend at Disney for a week between travel costs, hotels, meals, park admission, etc.. and a fraction of what youre going to pay for a "weekend" hunt on some Hill Country high fence place chasing anything that looks remotely African..

End result is now Ive got better than a dozen "hunting buddies", all willing to head to international destinations with my wife and I... Once they actually understand that Africa isnt only for "the rich".. its a pretty easy conversation moving forward..

We're headed over in July with 2 more buddies, neither of whom have ever hunted Africa before... now that he's had his eyes opened on how things really work, what real prices are, etc.. one of them is already planning a second 2025 trip, and hasnt even touched down in Africa for his first hunt yet lol..

My wife has been to Africa 4 out of 5 times with me, last May was the first time we went with another couple, their first Safari they loved it. My wife hunted all 4 times. The other couple, Debbie did not shoot anything but she was with her husband on every hunt he did, she loved it.
Most of my friends love to hunt also, but when you start talking about traveling from West Coast to Southern Africa and it takes 25-45 hours travel time plus the cost, they get intimidated.
For me it's not about hunting it's the adventure the people that you get to meet and the stories you have when you get home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtumolo18

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!